Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting...

from the original tesla service manual, see this:

1687436045810.png

So there suppose to be some rubber boot on the u-joint, but it is not on mine? is there a part number of this "boot" known?

Interesting...

from the original tesla service manual, see this:

View attachment 949819

So there suppose to be some rubber boot on the u-joint, but it is not on mine? is there a part number of this "boot" known?
There wasn't a boot in older designs, that was added later, so your car was probably made before the change. There are three different lower shafts listed:

1687441937936.png

The "shielded" one probably comes with the boot. (But I really don't know why there would be three current part numbers listed.)

Reactions: LonelyMS
today I finally got the cleaner (WD40 solvent based degreaser) and lube (WD40 PTFE drylube) you recommended and redo again. However, the result is not as good as before with my bicycle chain lube. Maybe I didn't clean it well enough. When you clean the joint with degreaser, did you use brush to give the joint a nice scrubbing?

Last edited:
today I finally got the cleaner (WD40 solvent based degreaser) and lube (WD40 PTFE drylube) you recommended and redo again. However, the result is not as good as before with my bicycle chain lube. Maybe I didn't clean it well enough. When you clean the joint with degreaser, did you use brush to give the joint a nice scrubbing?
Eventually a replacement WILL be necessary. But this can extend the life quite a bit, or if caught early enough, extend the life a VERY long time :) I'm about 70,000 miles since doing the original fix. With it kept lubed, the grim and dirt aren't really collecting on it like it was, and I'm just hitting it in spring & fall with a few shots of lube to keep it good.
I am noticing ever so slightly, a little more play in the joint. So I'll budget in a replacement joint in the not to distant future. I think I milked it quite a bit, and mine was BAD when I first cleaned and lubed it.

Drive unit and battery warranty is up in December, and I plan to have a 90 or 100 kWh battery installed once warranty is up. I'll change the joint at that time, along with some other age worn suspension components.