Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately I experince unwilling steering when exiting corners. Let me try to explain. In the past when I exited a corner the wheels would even out on their own, withhout me needing to use the steering wheel. Now they stay turned our and I have to use whe steering wheel to level out.

Is this the u-joint related or some other issue? It seems the steering pump works fine.
Likely U-Joint. Lube it up, give it a day and see how it does. If it's that bad though, may need to replace. Might be beyond just basic lube.

Reactions: LonelyMS
Lesser known issue that is more common in the snow belt area is the Lower Steering I-Shaft U-Joint.
Problem is that it is more exposed to the elements, and subject to Water, Snow, Salt, Sand, Dirt, and anything else that can be kicked up by the drivers side tire while driving.

What ends up happening, is the U-Joint corrodes, rusts and gets PACKED with crap. The effect of this, when turning the steering wheel, it feels like you hit a "hard spot" about every 90* you turn the steering wheel. It will go Smooth, then DIFFICULT then smooth. Almost as if the power steering is going out and back on again.

Replacement of the shaft is Expensive, and difficult process requiring much to be removed. I was originally commenting under the Model S forum on this, as I couldn't find anything on the MX forum, however, I do have a MX with the problem.
Here is my solution for cleaning and re-lubricating that U-Joint without the $1000-$1500 replacement cost (Almost all Labor).

Further, and I will update when done, I already have a solution in the works for a open ended clamp on boot. I ordered the parts and waiting for them to arrive. I will add the second video when I have that done.

Safe Degreaser to clean the U-Joint (Won't Damage other components): https://amzn.to/3f4mH2k Currently recommended Lubricant Similar to the (Discontinued) Product used in the video: https://amzn.to/35smAds
I have purchased a new u joint from Tesla and an aftermarket rubber boot. In this way you would never need to worry about corrosion. Once you have the replacement u joint from Tesla, part can be measured to find suitable rubber boot. If I remember correctly I have had to purchase fasteners, clamping bolts from MC master and Nord Lock washers because Tesla would not supply. Replacement can be done at home.

Additionally verify your alignment and the caster is correct
Full alignment and optics were done a few months ago so I guess this should not be an issue. unless they did a crappy job? But I did drive on a very dusty road a few days ago for almost 2 hours, so that might be the culprit?

I will take a camera and get inside to check the u-joint, before taking everything off.
What kinda lubricant is recommended for the job?

I have several older cars. Tesla is the only car I have changed this on.. The other cars don't have protection. Just better parts.
Tesla didn't charge me for this part on my model S. But they did on my X. Apparently it's a part ment to be changed regularly 😂

I am not sure. I have purchased replacement for our 2013 MS60. That came with no boot and clamping bolts.
This is what was shown two years ago, so maybe you got an old revisions;

1685451472763.png

Reactions: Dzsink
I wasnt able to remove the wheel because of the caps on the nuts :( I ordered the special tool for their removal but it will take days to arrive.

Is it possible to access the u-joint from the frunk, just for the inspection and perhaps some WD40 temp relief? I have 2015 model S...

I wasnt able to remove the wheel because of the caps on the nuts :( I ordered the special tool for their removal but it will take days to arrive.

Is it possible to access the u-joint from the frunk, just for the inspection and perhaps some WD40 temp relief? I have 2015 model S...
The caps? Two flat head screwdrivers and they come right off. Takes 2 seconds/lug cap.

Full alignment and optics were done a few months ago so I guess this should not be an issue. unless they did a crappy job? But I did drive on a very dusty road a few days ago for almost 2 hours, so that might be the culprit?

I will take a camera and get inside to check the u-joint, before taking everything off.
What kinda lubricant is recommended for the job?

Doubtful the road would have caused any issues unless you hit something pretty hard. Personally I would use a moly based grease, but there are other options as well

Lately I experince unwilling steering when exiting corners. Let me try to explain. In the past when I exited a corner the wheels would even out on their own, withhout me needing to use the steering wheel. Now they stay turned our and I have to use whe steering wheel to level out.

Is this the u-joint related or some other issue? It seems the steering pump works fine.
This is odd, or not?

I've watched a video where guy show how to do the lubrication on the mode X. He says he also owns a model S which never had problems and suggests it might be related to more frequent car washing.

So I gave it a go. I found a nice puddle of water and drove over it quite fast, 3 times.

And the steering wheel issue is now gone??

• Funny
Reactions: towndrunk
This is odd, or not?

I've watched a video where guy show how to do the lubrication on the mode X. He says he also owns a model S which never had problems and suggests it might be related to more frequent car washing.

So I gave it a go. I found a nice puddle of water and drove over it quite fast, 3 times.

And the steering wheel issue is now gone??
The water that has gotten on the joint will act as a sort of lubrication. As it dries, and the surface rust starts to form, the steering will begin to get difficult again.

You are absolutely right, its getting worse now!

So at least I somehow diagnosed its the u-joint and i know now what to do :)
Yep, Just lube it up like in my video, and you should be good to go. The fact that it got better after getting wet initially is actually a GOOD sign. That means it's not quite bad enough yet to warrant a replacement, and that a cleaning and lubrication should take care of it.

I finally had to re-do the cleaning and lube mine on my MX, got what, I think 1 1/2 years out of it. I did the initial cleaning and lube in for the video, and gave the joint a squirt of lube last year in spring, again in fall before winter, and again this spring, but finally too much road gunk built up. I didnt "need" to reclean, but since I was rotating tires anyways, I sprayed it off with cleaner and re-lubricated. Good to go :) So survived two nasty winters :)

I somehow manages to access the u-joint. It is location higher on model S than on the model X and harder to access. But it did not improve. Either I did a bad job, or the joint is in a bad condition.

As the part (1060802-00-B) is not that expensive Im thinking about replacing it.

I use this manual for guidance: Tesla Model S Service Manual Repair Procedures
But I cannot find instructions on how to replace the steering shaft, is the manual incomplete or am I just blind?

I somehow manages to access the u-joint. It is location higher on model S than on the model X and harder to access. But it did not improve. Either I did a bad job, or the joint is in a bad condition.

As the part (1060802-00-B) is not that expensive Im thinking about replacing it.

But I cannot find instructions on how to replace the steering shaft, is the manual incomplete or am I just blind?
The official manual available for free at service.tesla.com details intermediate shaft removal/ replacement.

What lubricant type are you using?

It was very hard to access so all I used was some industrial cleaning/lubricating spray. I know I should have cleaned first and then applied some proper lube, but as it was water the last time that improved it I assumed spray would do the same.

But I did not move the wheel around and will redo today. For a proper job I need use a proper car lift not just a wheel jack :/

Reactions: Dzsink