Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lesser known issue that is more common in the snow belt area is the Lower Steering I-Shaft U-Joint.
Problem is that it is more exposed to the elements, and subject to Water, Snow, Salt, Sand, Dirt, and anything else that can be kicked up by the drivers side tire while driving.

What ends up happening, is the U-Joint corrodes, rusts and gets PACKED with crap. The effect of this, when turning the steering wheel, it feels like you hit a "hard spot" about every 90* you turn the steering wheel. It will go Smooth, then DIFFICULT then smooth. Almost as if the power steering is going out and back on again.

Replacement of the shaft is Expensive, and difficult process requiring much to be removed. I was originally commenting under the Model S forum on this, as I couldn't find anything on the MX forum, however, I do have a MX with the problem.
Here is my solution for cleaning and re-lubricating that U-Joint without the $1000-$1500 replacement cost (Almost all Labor).

Further, and I will update when done, I already have a solution in the works for a open ended clamp on boot. I ordered the parts and waiting for them to arrive. I will add the second video when I have that done.

Safe Degreaser to clean the U-Joint (Won't Damage other components): https://amzn.to/3f4mH2k Currently recommended Lubricant Similar to the (Discontinued) Product used in the video: https://amzn.to/35smAds

It seems Tesla has redesigned the part so that it includes a boot to prevent this problem in the future:

1616530563548.png

And from this video it doesn't look that difficult to replace. (Once you have the frunk out.)

Attachments

• 1616530542182.png
    1616530542182.png
    235.3 KB · Views: 6,464
I was just watching the last video from Bjørn Nyland talking about this issue, and he mentioned that this part should be covered under warranty recall.

See at 11:13 Repairing 2013 Tesla Model S P85 at Bilexperten, the bolt was very rusty and the mechanic had to use an induction tool to heat the bolt to unscrew it.
Either way, I have a low cost retrofit boot option coming that will extend it's joint life :) I'm surprised my MS hasn't had the issue, though, it gets touchless washed religiously. The previous owner of my MX, well, didn't take much care of it.

It seems Tesla has redesigned the part so that it includes a boot to prevent this problem in the future:

View attachment 647333

And from this video it doesn't look that difficult to replace. (Once you have the frunk out.)
Well this is good to know, since I’m currently having this issue, at first they gave me a mobile tech, so I sent a message saying that I’m not sure a mobile tech can fix this issue. They called and assigned me an earlier date at the center confirming that a mobile tech couldn’t repair it.

It’s gotten to the point where Autopilot won’t even stay engaged in certain conditions because it thinks I’m touching the wheel..

Well this is good to know, since I’m currently having this issue, at first they gave me a mobile tech, so I sent a message saying that I’m not sure a mobile tech can fix this issue. They called and assigned me an earlier date at the center confirming that a mobile tech couldn’t repair it.

It’s gotten to the point where Autopilot won’t even stay engaged in certain conditions because it thinks I’m touching the wheel..
Here’s the TSB - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10177030-9999.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
Just got quoted €339,19+VAT to get it replaced with same crap. Does not seem to be a recall at all. Should be. Its VERY dangerous!
Anyone know how to get the improved part in EU?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2021-09-18 kl. 21.12.56.jpg
    Skärmavbild 2021-09-18 kl. 21.12.56.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 534
2017 model x. I fixed my issue (for now) by turning the wheel sll the way, jacking up the car, reaching in there with a rubber safe penetrating spray. Hosing it with about a quarter can in total, intermittently stopping to turn the wheels back and forth, the wsiting about an hour and blasting with dome lithium spray.. works better than ever. I would like to find a boot for it, remove rim etc so this doesn't happen again, but for now, good to go.

Lately I experince unwilling steering when exiting corners. Let me try to explain. In the past when I exited a corner the wheels would even out on their own, withhout me needing to use the steering wheel. Now they stay turned our and I have to use whe steering wheel to level out.

Is this the u-joint related or some other issue? It seems the steering pump works fine.