Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel off center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got our MYLR several weeks ago and, on the drive home, found that the car pulled slightly to the left and the steering wheel was off center slightly to the right. Also found that the horn only worked when pressed on the right side. Scheduled service appointment within the first 100 miles. Tesla tech verified the left pull and did 4-wheel alignment but made no mention of the steering wheel being off-center on the Repair Order. Horn problem required replacement of steering wheel and air bag.

Picked up the car and verified proper horn operation. On the drive home, found that the car tracked straight but steering wheel was still off-center. Texted the service advisor, who apologized and offered to have a tech correct the problem. I thanked him for the offer but told him that the wife didn't want to deal with more servicing of her car for now.

It's unfortunate that techs do wheel alignments without the steering wheel being properly centered. It doesn't affect the drivability of the car in any way but does trigger my OCD. She couldn't care less.
7/23/22 Update: Took car back to the Service Center and had them redo the alignment. Steering wheel is now perfectly centered when the car is traveling straight. I knew that the off-center steering wheel was something I couldn't live with.

Reactions: Bob2C
7/23/22 Update: Took car back to the Service Center and had them redo the alignment. Steering wheel is now perfectly centered when the car is traveling straight. I knew that the off-center steering wheel was something I couldn't live with.
Mine tracked perfectly straight but wheel was ever so slightly off. I read others had issues after they tried to align so I said screw it. I don’t even notice it anymore. If it pulled I would def bring it back

Dealing with the same issue. They have done 2 alignments, and claim everything is fine and the wheel is straight. I've ridden in the car with techs and they tell me the steering wheel is straight when it is clearly not. They try to make excuses that with the road crowning it's never going to be straight. Gave me the same spiel about using a level on the steering wheel when doing the wheel alignment.

Because the alignment is showing all green on their little report, they're now telling me that any future alignments I will be paying for. The alignment itself regarding the car driving straight is fine, but when the car is driving straight, the wheel is to the left about 2-3 degrees.

Looking for help/advice here on how to get the SC to get my wheel straight.

I’ll also mention that the steering wheel was aligned before getting a wheel alignment from the SC (had the tires balanced after getting new ones and that messed up the alignment which is why they performed it initially). The “new tires aren’t so new anymore and have ~3k miles on them.

Dealing with the same issue. They have done 2 alignments, and claim everything is fine and the wheel is straight. I've ridden in the car with techs and they tell me the steering wheel is straight when it is clearly not. They try to make excuses that with the road crowning it's never going to be straight. Gave me the same spiel about using a level on the steering wheel when doing the wheel alignment.

Because the alignment is showing all green on their little report, they're now telling me that any future alignments I will be paying for. The alignment itself regarding the car driving straight is fine, but when the car is driving straight, the wheel is to the left about 2-3 degrees.

Looking for help/advice here on how to get the SC to get my wheel straight.

Tell them to realign it with the steering wheel pointing to the right. :)

Tell them to realign it with the steering wheel pointing to the right. :)
Funny enough, one of the techs that rode with me jokingly (?) offered that as an option. But then when we got back to the SC, I was tole they would not be performing any additional work on it without me paying, which I'm unwilling to do since their 'aligning' of the wheels caused this issue in the first place.

Gurnkiller: Call their bluff. PAY for an alignment, retaining photos of steering wheel before and after. A PAID alignment comes with the guarantee of bringing it into "spec", which is steering wheel centered.

Then immediately request a refund.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Sant
Gurnkiller: Call their bluff. PAY for an alignment, retaining photos of steering wheel before and after. A PAID alignment comes with the guarantee of bringing it into "spec", which is steering wheel centered.
That's where this all started... with a paid alignment. 😆 I'm unwilling to pay another $200 or whatever it is to 'fix' something that was caused by them.

Funny enough, one of the techs that rode with me jokingly (?) offered that as an option. But then when we got back to the SC, I was tole they would not be performing any additional work on it without me paying, which I'm unwilling to do since their 'aligning' of the wheels caused this issue in the first place.

Crazy thing about all of this is the steering wheel really has nothing to do with the alignment. I know that sounds weird to say. But when the alignment goes out it moves the steering wheel. But that has really nothing to do with where the steering wheel is actually centered. If you went to an alignment shop, you could simply just say, move the steering wheel two or three degrees one way or the other and it can be done without affecting the alignment. Or having to do a whole alignment over again. In most cases it's like half a turn of a wrench on either side. A handy person could do it in their driveway.

Reactions: electricar
I had a similar issue. When I received my car and drove it home I noticed that the wheel was not dead center when driving straight and there was pulling that suggested alignment issues... just the wheel not being "straight." I had made a service appoint to fix a paint scratch from delivery and added the steering wheel issue. They "quoted me" $200 or something for alignment as they needed a service on the order. When I dropped the car I explained the issue and they understood and would check. The final invoice should alignment check and that it wasn't needed but the steering wheel was now centered (didn't say anything in the invoice about it). Sounds like I got lucky with a good service experience.

My 5/22 build car is in for service as I type this. After I made the appointment and listed the off-center steering wheel as one of my complaints, the estimate came back from the Tesla SC as "Four wheel alignment check and adjust" at no cost. We shall see if it actually gets fixed. An off-center steering wheel is one of my pet peeves.

I’m convinced every MY and possibly M3 comes out of the factory with the wheel 2-3 degrees to the right to keep the car tracking straight. Way too many ppl have this issue.

For me, same. I mentioned it but they gave me the same bs. I recently got a 4 wheel alignment from an independent shop (when getting new tires) and it’s maybe 1 degree to the right. Less, but still to the right. I will say, my alignment seems perfect because there’s no wear on the tires after about 800 miles.

I recall reading in different forums (back when I owned Audis) that it’s all about where they set the wheel and how they keep it locked when they are doing the alignment…but I could be misremembering.

I recall reading in different forums (back when I owned Audis) that it’s all about where they set the wheel and how they keep it locked when they are doing the alignment…but I could be misremembering.
That's the same info one of the technicians told me. To which I said "well then the wheel is not straight when you lock it." And he told me they use a level to make sure it is. Clearly that's either a) wrong, b) a lie, or c) their machine is broken (in my situation).

An update:

I had a SC appointment today to hopefully get this taken care of once and for all. When I arrived, I had a tech drive with me (again...) to understand what I was experiencing. The car then went in for an alignment (again...).

The attached image shows the before and after. What was pointed out to me is that the Steer Ahead and Thrust Angles are now 0.00, which should solve the issue.

AND IT DID! 🎉

Although I think the car has a little more vibration now (perhaps there are new parts of the tires hitting the road for the first time that need to break in), the steering wheel is finally straight, at least enough to my liking. Seems that getting those 2 measurements to 0.00 did the trick. The tech did iterate that the wheel cannot be adjusted without it affecting the wheels since the steering wheel is splined and can only go on one way.

IMG-8110.jpg

Reactions: Koolio46 and TheLex
The tech did iterate that the wheel cannot be adjusted without it affecting the wheels since the steering wheel is splined and can only go on one way.
Right. But a good tech can center the wheel by (as someone pointed out above) turning one side tie rod end adjuster a half turn (or whatever it takes) and the other side tie rod end the same amount in the opposite direction, so the net effect is the tie rod moves left (or right) just enough to center the wheel.

No change to the actual alignment, just rotates the wheel.

That the SC does not already know this just shows their lack of experience. It's a pretty basic technique used every day.

Right. But a good tech can center the wheel by (as someone pointed out above) turning one side tie rod end adjuster a half turn (or whatever it takes) and the other side tie rod end the same amount in the opposite direction, so the net effect is the tie rod moves left (or right) just enough to center the wheel.

No change to the actual alignment, just rotates the wheel.

That the SC does not already know this just shows their lack of experience. It's a pretty basic technique used every day.
I had asked this when a mobile tech came out to replace my steering wheel. He said and showed me the way steering wheel is attached to the base, there was a metal bump that prevents steering wheel from tilt adjustment. So it made production easy without needing to worry about leveling the steering wheel, but that means many of us end up with an off centered steering wheel.

Reactions: Koolio46
I had asked this when a mobile tech came out to replace my steering wheel. He said and showed me the way steering wheel is attached to the base, there was a metal bump that prevents steering wheel from tilt adjustment. So it made production easy without needing to worry about leveling the steering wheel, but that means many of us end up with an off centered steering wheel.
They are talking about a different part.

Reactions: Whitebeard
They are talking about a different part.
Sorry, I don’t know much about car parts. All I know is, I waited for my wheel alignment for 5 hours, and it’s the 3rd attempt for SC to try to straighten my steering wheel. 1st attempt didn’t fix the steering wheel off center. 2nd attempt screwed up the alignment so the car started veering left. 3rd alignment, 5 hours in, they gave me a loaner and I hope to have my car back by tomorrow. I’m mind blown at this difficulty.

Sorry, I don’t know much about car parts. All I know is, I waited for my wheel alignment for 5 hours, and it’s the 3rd attempt for SC to try to straighten my steering wheel. 1st attempt didn’t fix the steering wheel off center. 2nd attempt screwed up the alignment so the car started veering left. 3rd alignment, 5 hours in, they gave me a loaner and I hope to have my car back by tomorrow. I’m mind blown at this difficulty.
Circling back to close my own threads for future onlookers. Apparently, the technicians needed to replace the suspension links. And after 30 hours, my car officially drives perfectly straight with a straight steering wheel as well 😌