Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel off center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is how it came from the factory. Mr 1st Y was purchased in March and the alignment was off that I had to schedule a first appointment. Disappointing. Got my 2nd way 3 weeks ago and guess what, very next day I took it in for an alignment. It again, the steering wheel was to the right when going straight. Since the alignment is within specs but the wheel was off, I was able to make adjustments by myself and now it's straight. You'll need a 21mm open box wrench and a 14mm.

I highly suggest to watch this video by Mountain Pass Performance, I did this and now it's straight.

Got my new 2021 Model Y (Long Range) delivered before new year. Didn't see any big issue on the outlook like other earlier Model Y owners posted on Youtube. Love the car so much. But did noticed two issues:

1) Limited movement on the driver side mirror.
Seems this issue have been resolved from another post here on TMC, will try the solution first thing tomorrow morning.

2) Steering wheel slightly off the center to the right.
Noticed this on the first day that when the car is going straight, my steering wheel turns slightly to the right about less than 5 degrees. If I try to move steering wheel to the center(need a little force), my car will turn slightly to the left. I also tried auto pilot feature to see when Tesla controls the car what will happen. Turns out the car could stays straight with the wheel off to the right. Not a huge issue but still not expecting this on a new car.

Anybody experiencing the same issue? Any potential issue other than need an alignment? I am new to the forum and thank you all in advance!
Yup I’ve got both exact same problems on brand new Model 3 in Nov or 2021. Hoping for an easy fix. 👍

I just purchased my first new car in over 10 yrs (2008 Tacoma) - my steering wheel is also off-center ~4-5 degrees to the right as well. My GF didnt notice, but I instantly did and now I can't "not" notice it.

Any issues getting it resolved with the SC? Is it best to ask for steering wheel to be centered first, THEN for a realignment, or will the SC pretty know what to do to fix? I really don't want to make two trips if by centering the steering wheel it makes the car drift to the left.

Thanks! New here and excited to get used to my M3.
i’ve had experience with this during alignments on older cars. Not Tesla‘s. In my experience it required me going out and centering the wheel for the mechanic because they just don’t get it. Sorry! :)

Mylr here - been in service in Dec then paused coming since barely drove (1.8k miles for 4 months) and misalignment of the wheel is still here. Tesla sc wants ridiculous 260$ for re-alignment (they didn’t fix it first time right) :(
Any suggestions?

Just picked up my Model Y LR today and the wheel is slightly off centered.. The car tracks straight but the slight tilt of the wheel bothers me.. Just like everyone else 2-3 degrees to the right... I'll schedule service and see if they can fix it or make it worse... Everything else is perfect> No issues with build quality (panel gaps, paint etc)..

Reactions: Arthur31
Got our MYLR several weeks ago and, on the drive home, found that the car pulled slightly to the left and the steering wheel was off center slightly to the right. Also found that the horn only worked when pressed on the right side. Scheduled service appointment within the first 100 miles. Tesla tech verified the left pull and did 4-wheel alignment but made no mention of the steering wheel being off-center on the Repair Order. Horn problem required replacement of steering wheel and air bag.

Picked up the car and verified proper horn operation. On the drive home, found that the car tracked straight but steering wheel was still off-center. Texted the service advisor, who apologized and offered to have a tech correct the problem. I thanked him for the offer but told him that the wife didn't want to deal with more servicing of her car for now.

It's unfortunate that techs do wheel alignments without the steering wheel being properly centered. It doesn't affect the drivability of the car in any way but does trigger my OCD. She couldn't care less.

Reactions: Pianewman
I'm at the SC and the SA test drove my car in the parking lot going less that 5mph, then tells me the car is straight and the wheel is straight. I told him you need to be going a little faster to see it pull slightly left and longer than 10 parking spots. go take it out for a spin on the street. sigh.

Quick update. The tech drove it and agreed, threw on the alignment rack and squared it off.
Front toe and camber. This should help reduce tire wear.
PXL_20220714_201445819.MP.jpg