Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... to update everyone, I just finish installing the plates and I think they look great, much better than I was expecting.

The number plate holders were super simple to take off, I'm the worst with DIY as well, so this is like a 1/10 hard.

I used some post it notes to mark where the plate should go after the mounts come off.

The plates were super sticky, but followed the instructions to put them on with soap and they held great whilst installing, I was slightly worried about the screw holes making the finished result look "lumpy and bumpy" but no issues at all.

Here's a picture of the final result (I masked the last part of the plate but gives you an idea)

QTGh1Nw.jpg

So... to update everyone, I just finish installing the plates and I think they look great, much better than I was expecting.

The number plate holders were super simple to take off, I'm the worst with DIY as well, so this is like a 1/10 hard.

I used some post it notes to mark where the plate should go after the mounts come off.

The plates were super sticky, but followed the instructions to put them on with soap and they held great whilst installing, I was slightly worried about the screw holes making the finished result look "lumpy and bumpy" but no issues at all.

Here's a picture of the final result (I masked the last part of the plate but gives you an idea)

QTGh1Nw.jpg

Looks great, where did you get the plates with the logo on?

Thanks

QTGh1Nw.jpg
Did you use the supplier in post #4?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dst87 and mab74
You'll always be required to show the GB logo (while GB exists), the EU stars have always been optional.

Yes, as I understand, if it's legal when it's issued, it continues to be legal (hence pre 1975 plates can be black/silver). Only further requirement would possibly be a GB sticker. (Source: Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit)

Now, let the B word never be uttered again lest we create an irreparable rift in the forum.

Bracket is stuck on, but there is a curve to the front that the bracket/screws help the (US) plate conform to - doubt sticking the plate directly would stay.

I had a good look at an M3 at the fully charged show and it didn't look too curved to me. When I get my car in few weeks I plan on fitting a stick on. The police won't be bothered, they have too much on their plate to worry about trivial things like this.

Hi, I'm new here, found the forum looking for this exact thing! Although I can't view any of the images because I haven't posted anything yet... So, here goes.

I'm looking to also add a vinyl number plate to the front of me M3 and lose the number plate cowl itself, but does anybody know if the cowl is drilled and screwed to the car?

Hi, I'm new here, found the forum looking for this exact thing! Although I can't view any of the images because I haven't posted anything yet... So, here goes.

I'm looking to also add a vinyl number plate to the front of me M3 and lose the number plate cowl itself, but does anybody know if the cowl is drilled and screwed to the car?
Welcome to the forum.

Both number plate frames are screwed to the bodywork. I’ve got some vinyl plates, but I haven’t fitted them yet because my car has got to go back to Tesla to get some paint defects sorted out.

Before I bought the vinyl plates I asked the vendor if the vinyl is thick enough to cover the holes in the bodywork, and they said it wouldn’t be a problem.