Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still a problem: plugging in a car when your hands are full.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still a problem: plugging in a car when your hands are full. Still need robotic plugs for electric cars.

I just witnessed an elderly relative skip plugging in because her hands were full. We need to fix this. I'm not saying it has to be fixed for everyone right away, but it is a hole in the market place. Someone should put more work in robotic plugs and start selling them.

I've been to a few superchargers recently here in Socal, where space is at a premium so the lots are small, the charger hoses are short, and all spots require you to back the car in (head out). The owners can barely back their cars in straight, or close enough to the charger, and have to re-park. Never have I seen more 5 and 7 point turns. I doubt they'd be able to park well enough for a robot arm to find the plug correctly - and when the robots scratch the car or misalign the plug, oh boy will there be trouble. But you bring about a good idea though, robot arms plugging in for us would certainly be nice. :)

Reactions: alloverx
Like this?

Tesla demo from 4 years ago:
tesla60fps.0.gif

Watch Tesla's creepy 'solid metal snake' plug itself into a Model S

Reactions: Ulmo and cwerdna
There is a startup company working on robotic chargeplug and the charging networks are all lined up for wanting them. More efficient use of the few fast charging stations. The robot will service a row of cars lined up, automatically unplugging at a set charge and moving to the next in line.

Reactions: Ulmo
I have a problem unlocking my front door when my hands are full. So I need a robotic key. Is there one?

This is a solution in search of a problem.

There actually are deadbolts that can detect your phone and automatically unlock. Although you have to have a nice square door that doesn't stick or expand/contract in the cold/heat, otherwise the motor that turns the deadbolt will stick.