Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still baffled by range issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what is percentage reading based on? Is it based on a measurement? Of cell voltage? 4.2v or 4.1v = full / 100%, ? v = empty / 0% (+buffer).
So is this energy measurement taken during battery discharge? So measures energy released during discharge, then uses EPA rating to predict mile range.

If so, that makes sense.
There is certainly some tech analysis that Tesla has in its battery energy measuring that goes deeper than my understanding. There is some aspect of it that is based on the cell voltage, but there is also some part that is trying to keep track of energy in and out, so some very smart combination of all of that. That seems to be part of the reason why the energy estimator gets confused over time and loses visibility if you continually stay in a middle state of charge. The voltage just doesn't change much over a large section in the middle, so it doesn't get to see that voltage shift to really tell when it is getting actually high or low, so it's lacking one of its measurement methods.

So anyway, that is how it tries to figure the current amount of energy. And it does keep an internal number that is stored in a variable called something like "nominal full pack energy", where it stores what it thinks the current maximum kilowatt hours value is. And that's how it tells the %, by comparing current energy versus that apparent maximum capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Battpower
So what is percentage reading based on? Is it based on a measurement? Of cell voltage? 4.2v or 4.1v = full / 100%, ? v = empty / 0% (+buffer).

No one will have a greatly accurate answer for this, because it's very complicated to measure this (not physical like gas in a tank).

Voltage is a large part of it, but is only reliable at rest. It swings up and down as you drive, and isn't linearly decreasing from 100-0%. This behaviour also fluctuates with temperature.

A lot of calculation, measuring, and predictions go into giving you a percent capacity, as well as figuring out what that full capacity actually is.

There must be some way it excludes energy used for non-propulsion then, and also some allowance for driving downhill with regen.

As you say @Rocky_H there must be some extensive calculations going on.

I can see advantage of both measures. % SOC at least focuses you off a somewhat meaningless mileage figure, while the mileage figure does at least take some element of actual stored energy into account.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Voltage is a large part of it, but is only reliable at rest.

Which I guess could explain why I believe sometimes the mileage figure creeps up a little when the car stands and is not on charge.

Given all this sophisticated calculation, am I correct that there is not a mileage display normally visible that shows a predicted range based on your actual driving history and battery condition? I suppose the energy graph on trip does do this while on a set journey.

I think SMT shows Estimated Range which for me atm is 412 miles vs 353 on the IC display. It gets confusing with so many versions of range!

Like lifetime miles vs energy in or out of battery and then use that to calculate a moving average mileage estimate. Not perfect, but at least representative of something real about my car.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20200710_223543.jpg
I just noticed a step in range as per Teslamate since 28.1 update. MS R 2019 LR

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200710_222949_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20200710_222949_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: KenC