Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still on the fence: Model 3 vs Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S: More refined, less corners cut, here right now(who knows when the 3 will actually start being delivered), bigger and safer, for sure $7500 tax credit, aluminum, auto extending handles, hatchback, more cargo space, the best car ever, here right now.

Sure but the OP wanted to know if they should wait for a Model 3 or purchase a Model S now. We all know the Model S is an amazing car but even with tax credit you will still be paying still paying significantly more consider you'll be paying close to double the fees. People often forget 7500 tax credit only covers taxes, title, and license.

66000+ $5,951.00 TTL = $71,951 based in Calfornia - 7500 rebate = $64,451
35000+ $3,199.00 TTL = $38,199 based in California - 3500 rebate = $34,699

Let assume you missed out on the on the 7,500 before the 200,000 car sold by Tesla and you now qualify for the 3,500 federal rebate. The Model S still cost $29,752 more than the Model III. Buying the Model S now gives you the luxury of driving it vs 12+ months later and being a little bigger and lighter based on the information that's available out there.

HAHA, that would be awesome. The car leading the funeral procession is the deceased's own car ... driving itself!
If it happens before regulatory approval of self driving then I guess I'd have to settle for a human driving me in a Tesla Hearse. I'd still consider it a win.

14492365_1163045147094557_9130101765525731249_n.jpg

So I'm on the fence. I made my reservation in early April but I wonder whether the Model 3 options will include a two motor version and range near the 90D 290 mile range. If the Model 3 won't have these options, it looks like I need an S. Seems to me that since I am used to driving an ICE 700 miles in a day, the longer range would matter.

Also the Tesla S site shows ranges at 70 mph and I always cruise faster than that so I wonder what the range would be at 75 and 80 mph. On a long trip that extra speed matters.

Sure but the OP wanted to know if they should wait for a Model 3 or purchase a Model S now. We all know the Model S is an amazing car but even with tax credit you will still be paying still paying significantly more consider you'll be paying close to double the fees. People often forget 7500 tax credit only covers taxes, title, and license.

66000+ $5,951.00 TTL = $71,951 based in Calfornia - 7500 rebate = $64,451
35000+ $3,199.00 TTL = $38,199 based in California - 3500 rebate = $34,699

Actually, the California $2,500 rebate is back on again, so the deal is even sweeter. Also note, few of the several hundred thousand M3 preorders will get much of a credit or rebate unless they are both extended, which was another incentive for me to buy the MS now. Model S 75 with pano roof and AP, including CA taxes and DMV and less Fed and State tax credit and rebate was $68K on the road. (Earlier I said $78K delivered but that didn't include and gov. incentives.) My 2006 Lexus LS ICE was $62K on the road more than 10 years ago. So with inflation, it would seem the MS is a better deal today than the Lexus ICE was a decade ago, not to mention free power from my residential solar and superchargers thrown in.

I wonder whether the Model 3 options will include a two motor version and range near the 90D 290 mile range.
Dual motors has already been stated as an option so that's taken care of. As for the battery there has been a lot of speculation on the various sizes and ranges they will offer, but nothing definite from Tesla themselves. With that being said, I'd be surprised if there were not a battery option that would get you that range.