Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still on the fence: Model 3 vs Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no time like the present... Get Model S!

I've owned 4, 3-series and although I actually prefer the smaller body, Model S doesn't feel significantly larger while driving and offers some real extra utility in terms of space. Plus, it's a fantastic car and you're basically guaranteed the $7500 incentive.

Tesla's eligibility for the federal tax incentive is good until they produce 200,000 vehicles (presumably US-homologated vehicles) assuming the feds don't extend the program. I assume Tesla has already delivered over 100,000 Roadsters, Model S and Model X in the US, meaning there's room for some number less than 100,000 Model IIIs. That's all to say, who knows if you'll be eligible for the federal tax incentive once your Model III rolls around? Maybe there's a way to assign a weighted probability to the value of the incentive?

Also, assuming super aggressively that you'll be able to take delivery of Model III in late 2015, a Model S today can potentially avoid 14 months of paying gas between then and now, which aside from being the best feeling ever, would save you $1,680 assuming $120/month in gas. The more Model III is delayed, the more the value of Model S today increases.

There's no time like the present... Get Model S!

I've owned 4, 3-series and although I actually prefer the smaller body, Model S doesn't feel significantly larger while driving and offers some real extra utility in terms of space. Plus, it's a fantastic car and you're basically guaranteed the $7500 incentive.

Tesla's eligibility for the federal tax incentive is good until they produce 200,000 vehicles (presumably US-homologated vehicles) assuming the feds don't extend the program. I assume Tesla has already delivered over 100,000 Roadsters, Model S and Model X in the US, meaning there's room for some number less than 100,000 Model IIIs. That's all to say, who knows if you'll be eligible for the federal tax incentive once your Model III rolls around? Maybe there's a way to assign a weighted probability to the value of the incentive?

Also, assuming super aggressively that you'll be able to take delivery of Model III in late 2015, a Model S today can potentially avoid 14 months of paying gas between then and now, which aside from being the best feeling ever, would save you $1,680 assuming $120/month in gas. The more Model III is delayed, the more the value of Model S today increases.

I wish, I wish I could. Financially, I am waiting until I am relieved of $500/month daycare payment for my son that ends in August 2017 and that money will be going towards my new monthly car payment. Just trying to be financially responsible (somewhat here!).

I wish, I wish I could. Financially, I am waiting until I am relieved of $500/month daycare payment for my son that ends in August 2017 and that money will be going towards my new monthly car payment. Just trying to be financially responsible (somewhat here!).

New business idea: Model S daycare. Fold the rear seats, crank the AC, lots of toys. :) Solicit your coworkers to use your new "facility."

I have been having this internal debate in my head for the past 2 weeks. I reserved a M3 on day 1, but then I read about the new 5 series with wireless Carplay next year that is coming out and was intrigued and then I realized, "well, if I am going to spend 5 series money, why wouldn't I get a MS at this point?! Technology is going to be a huge deciding factor in my next car. I currently drive a 3 series just like the OP and with 2 kids (ages 2 and 4), it's tight, so we never use my car with the kids (always the wife's Pathfinder). I always envisioned graduating to the 5 series until I became enfatuated with Tesla. Before the M3 announcement, I wasn't planning on getting one b/c I figured from a cabin space perspective, it was on par with my current car, which is small. However, after seeing the unveiling and the additional cabin space, I decided to reserve it. My 3 series now has 53k miles and is in great shape and I do love the car, but it's been almost 7 years and I am getting the itch for something new.

Fortunately, I don't have to make this decision probably for at least 8-12 months. I am going to see how my finances are when ready and price out the M3, MS and 5 series out and decide then. My wife sat in a Model S when in a mall in Florida a year ago and really likes it also (which means I sorta have the green light!). In the meantime, I will continue to save as much as I can to put me in a better position to buy the car I truly want :). I was planning on getting a new car end of 2017 as one of my kids day care payments is ending, so timing is working out. I am also closely monitoring the tax credit situation.

If you haven't already, definitely test drive the MS for the full experience. I was also on the fence on whether to upgrade my ICE now and wait for the M3 or go for the MS now and opted for the latter. My advice is: don't upgrade your ICE...once you own a Tesla you'll understand how utterly "out of date" ICE vehicles are. I'd hold on to your current vehicle until you're ready for the Tesla...time flies and there's no time like Spring for a new car!:)

Please stop perpetuating incorrect information about how the Federal tax credit works, and how/when it phases out. Read this link for more info:
Elon Musk says first 12 months of Tesla Model 3 production are ‘sold out’, what does it mean for the federal tax credit?

I have been having this internal debate in my head for the past 2 weeks.
ONLY 2 weeks? :)
I had my head spinning and when I ordered was still unsure if I did the right thing. Am I taking on too much debt etc...
Probably a good idea to wait for financial reasons but once you start driving a Tesla, BMW will be so far back in your rear-view mirror you will have forgotten about it. At least that was my experience. I still love the BMW 535i but no longer want it. Besides i like being one of the few Tesla's on Long Island :) I can drive for days w/o seeing another one, until I hit the North Shore where all the money is :) BMW/Mercedes are like every 5th car on Long Island. They are everywhere! A garbage man just this morning stopped me on a side road asking "what kinda car is that? It's beautiful! " This happens often :)
Good luck, it will be worth the wait and a bonus, you get AP 2.0 hardware!

I've got a very early 2013 S60 (basically optioned), and am trying to decide if I'll trade it in for a new Model 3. We're definitely getting a 3 for my wife, just don't know if I should hang on to my S or trade it in...I would probably get a lot more features on the new 3 (some of which weren't even available on an early S), but I would really miss my S. For me it's more about being sentimental vs. having a newer car with more options! It's gonna be a tough decision next year.

ONLY 2 weeks? :)
I had my head spinning and when I ordered was still unsure if I did the right thing. Am I taking on too much debt etc...
Probably a good idea to wait for financial reasons but once you start driving a Tesla, BMW will be so far back in your rear-view mirror you will have forgotten about it. At least that was my experience. I still love the BMW 535i but no longer want it. Besides i like being one of the few Tesla's on Long Island :) I can drive for days w/o seeing another one, until I hit the North Shore where all the money is :) BMW/Mercedes are like every 5th car on Long Island. They are everywhere! A garbage man just this morning stopped me on a side road asking "what kinda car is that? It's beautiful! " This happens often :)
Good luck, it will be worth the wait and a bonus, you get AP 2.0 hardware!
I am from LI too, not many Tesla's out here, Someone a few blocks from me has one. I definitely plan on test driving an S in the Spring before making any decision. Ironically, I woke up this morning with the Check Engine Light on my BMW, and now it's in the shop for a $200 repair for an engine coil. Lots of nagging problems with this car every once in awhile. My itch just got stronger :)

Each year for the past 3 years I had a $2000 repair bill. My initial plan was to wait for the Model 3 but then the 60kwh S, the re-fresh etc.......It was like Tesla was goading me into buying now :) And my big family car was tired.
My kids are older, 2 in college and a 15 year old so it was time to buy a car for me. :)
We all have our own reasons for when we take the plunge. I could not have done it when my kids were younger. Good luck

Early Leaf adopter here. 80 mi range degraded to 50 before Nissan replaced the traction battery under warranty. The 3.3 kW onboard charger tested my patience more times than i can remember. Still my zen car and i can leave the $100k ICE cars in the dust from a stoplight.

Finally broke down after 5 years and ordered a T. Have concerns about the size but after the test drive with AP i was sold. Ended up ordering a $75k car (on the road, after the tax credit).

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
plan on test driving an S in the Spring before making any decision

Line up your financing for spring then. ;-)

I couldn't stop thinking about Tesla's in 2013/4/5 when I was driving my Smart ED, and then my wife would begin to take my Smart ED more often and leave her (then 2 yr old) Mercedes in the driveway forcing me to drive it, yuck, gas...

Last year we picked up a used S85, early 2013 built before all the goodies (parking sensors, auto pilot, dual motor) came out. Love it.
I've got a Mar 31 reservation on the 3, and being a Tesla owner, I'm now further up the queue, but cannot imagine waiting.

Good luck with the wait...just don't test drive before you have $ situation lined up.

Thanks for the feedback, this is the fun part as car enthusiast, change mind on which to get since I have plenty of time. Out of a whim, due to very low lease price, I leased a Fiat 500e this past Sunday. Lease payment of $59/month, with only $1000 down (after $2500 CA rebate). I figure this will get my feet wet in trying electric car (albeit this one only have 24kwh / 80 miles capacity).
This also buys me time to wait for my turn for the Model 3 when I have to return my BMW lease next yr.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I'm also currently debating getting a Model S vs a Model III and I wonder what does the Model S has that the Model 3 doesn't? Hard to justify a car that cost 31k+ more vs the Model 3 that is slightly smaller with similar range that is just around the corner. Tesla seriously needs to differentiate the Model S vs III.

Model S 60kwh = 208mile range
Model III 60kwh = 215mile range

66000k base with FREE supercharging or
35000k base (maybe without FREE supercharging)