Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still Waiting for Elon's Blog Post on Autopilot Update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on other initial press reports, this appears to be referring to a three-fold improvement for a vehicle with upgraded Autopilot v. same vehicle with no Autopilot (see below). But I wasn't on the call so can't be100% sure.

"Still, Tesla’s Musk says the improvements in Autopilot 8 make the car roughly three times safer than a vehicle without it, and indeed would have been sufficient to prevent the death of Josh Brown in the July crash." Tesla Autopilot v8 detailed: Smarter radar in 1-2 weeks

Electrek just posted a nice article clarifying this. Sounds like 50% reduction in accidents right away, with safety ultimately showing a 3X improvement with additional fleet learning.

Elon Musk sees 3x potential increase in safety with Tesla’s new Autopilot update

Last edited:
I foresee a lot more folks joining Green1's "no update for me" cause for 8.0.

During this phase before 7.1 was released there were a lot of rumblings from people including Green1 regarding the limitations that were rumored to be introduced. I also recall a lot of rumblings from people who hated flat UI's.

I'm not seeing the same kind of rumblings. I look at the new limitations of 8.0, and I can't see how they would be detrimental to my usage of AP. I haven't heard of any good arguments like the kind of argument Green1 presented before V7.1 was even released.

Even if someone did have some issue with V8 it would be hard not to upgrade if you had the AP hardware. The emergency braking improvements alone is a little hard to pass up on. Plus it's likely that V8.0 will have spotify, and if it it does then how much longer would slacker support exist for?

Plus the V7.1 to V8.0 is happening AFTER the TMC website redesign, and V7.1 was before. The people that hated UI/Version changes are mostly gone from here because of the redesign. The only people left are those of us that can handle change. So there is less resistance to change within the user base of this site.

I am glad that no hardware upgrades are out yet, makes me feel better about my X purchase.

That seems a little selfish to me. Don't we want to Tesla to have the latest and greatest regardless of what our own vehicle have? I sure do and I missed out on AP the first go round but posted here that I was glad new owners were getting it in response to all the complainers who missed out.

How is this part of Tesla's press release being interpreted?:

When the data shows that false braking events would be rare, the car will begin mild braking using radar, even if the camera doesn't notice the object ahead.

So does this mean that hard braking event are rare but mild braking will be common?

• Disagree
Reactions: CTShore
That seems a little selfish to me. Don't we want to Tesla to have the latest and greatest regardless of what our own vehicle have? I sure do and I missed out on AP the first go round but posted here that I was glad new owners were getting it in response to all the complainers who missed out.

How is this part of Tesla's press release being interpreted?:

Not trying to be selfish but I suppose I am not alone when my $100k+ X goes outdated after a few months if an affordable retrofit isn't available, especially with all of the SC service appointments I had to deal with ):

Am I the only one that feels that way?

I sometimes wonder if some people's cars have poorly calibrated sensors on the wheels. I see lots of posts where people can keep a light hand on the wheel with no problem, and others have to have periodic wheel wrestle sessions to trigger the sensor. Its one of those things that could be calibrated wrong, and you would never know it unless you drove a different car.
My X is at the service center, and this is one of the concerns they are addressing. Mine requires a bit of a wrestle with the wheel to keep it from nagging. I am interested to see if they are able to tweak the sensitivity.

No kidding! I think 8.0 will end up being great, but getting all the fleet learning in, and all the corner cases addressed using a new, unfamiliar primary information source (radar) and integrating it seamlessly with optical information, makes me want to hold off using AP except under very good conditions until fleet experience is gained, bug fix releases come out and things settle down. After all, I wouldn't trust my phone to the .0 release of a new version of IOS, and there's more at stake here.

Need to remember that there are already hundreds of cars driving around with the 8.0 software, so the learning is already taking place. Also, the default starting point for the software would be the current baseline, so you would think that it would only get better with 8.0 and not degrade.

New bugs are always possible, but Tesla no doubt has already run every corner case their cars have encountered so far past the new code, assuming the radar data is saved in the cloud. Not sure about that.

RT

Not trying to be selfish but I suppose I am not alone when my $100k+ X goes outdated after a few months

You're definitely not the only one with that attitude. I paid $115k for my car with tax and we have no federal rebate, and I just missed out on AP, and there were long threads here with complaints from owners with non-AP cars about no retrofits. I was one the few voices, with a few others, who praised Tesla for constantly innovating, and said that I didn't look at my car as an investment, and I was happy for those who got AP. Of course, I felt bad for others who just missed it, many of who missed it much closer than what I missed it by, but at the same time I reminded them that we got exactly what we paid for, and that it's one's attitude that determines your state of mind, not what other's have, or how much your vehicle depreciated.

Last edited:
Need to remember that there are already hundreds of cars driving around with the 8.0 software, so the learning is already taking place. Also, the default starting point for the software would be the current baseline, so you would think that it would only get better with 8.0 and not degrade.

New bugs are always possible, but Tesla no doubt has already run every corner case their cars have encountered so far past the new code, assuming the radar data is saved in the cloud. Not sure about that.

RT

Now that I think about it, since they knew they would be switching over to a greater reliance on radar, they would have started harvesting that data from the field from that point forward.

RT

RT
I hope you are right -- and I am a natural pessimist :) -- but my concern is that the current baseline might not be the starting point if part of the burden of identifying objects and their positions is being handed off from optical to radar. The optical experience curve might not be fully utilized in control of the car. But then I am a pessimist.

I haven't read the rest of the thread but after reading Elon's blog one worrying question comes to mind.

What if after fleet learning has reached to 100% and braking levels are at full power now, a new sign is added overnight and I'm the first ever Tesla to pass there? How are they going to prevent false braking for when the environment changes? With this model it seems like they never can't. Can anyone elaborate?

Reactions: somnambule
So these two features weren't standard before?? Max braking asist and lane departure warning are pretty standard features in most cars nowadays. But I guess better late than never.
  • Automatic braking will now amplify user braking in emergencies
  • In manual mode, alerts driver if about to leave the road and no torque on steering wheel has been detected since Autosteer was deactivated

During this phase before 7.1 was released there were a lot of rumblings from people including Green1 regarding the limitations that were rumored to be introduced. I also recall a lot of rumblings from people who hated flat UI's.

I'm not seeing the same kind of rumblings. I look at the new limitations of 8.0, and I can't see how they would be detrimental to my usage of AP. I haven't heard of any good arguments like the kind of argument Green1 presented before V7.1 was even released.

Even if someone did have some issue with V8 it would be hard not to upgrade if you had the AP hardware. The emergency braking improvements alone is a little hard to pass up on. Plus it's likely that V8.0 will have spotify, and if it it does then how much longer would slacker support exist for?

Plus the V7.1 to V8.0 is happening AFTER the TMC website redesign, and V7.1 was before. The people that hated UI/Version changes are mostly gone from here because of the redesign. The only people left are those of us that can handle change. So there is less resistance to change within the user base of this site.

With regard to your last paragraph, an interesting symbiotic relationship, that.

What does the second half of this sentence mean?
  • TACC braking max ramp rate increased and latency reduced by a factor of five
In interpret that as meaning that when using TACC and the forward radar detects rapidly decreasing distance to the car in front that your cars breaks may be automatically applied much more rapidly than currently and that action occurs 5 times more quickly (after detecting the decreasing distance) than currently.

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.

I'd say very few are gone because of the website design change. WK057 is one, but I can't thing of any others. Rather, I'd say most are gone because of the vast influx of new members with the Model S/X (since it was first mostly Roadster owners). The first Model S owners were new adopters, as were Roadster owners. Now there's the second waive of Model S owners, Model X owners, plus Model 3 reservation holders, and this place has become very different than what it was. A lot left because of that. It's not nearly as intimate and as welcoming as it once was. In fact, it not either of those things anymore which is why I think a lot have left and that has nothing to do with the website changes.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is what I noticed as well. SlashGear has more of his quotes from the presser.
Tesla Autopilot v8 detailed: Smarter radar in 1-2 weeks

"Autopilot accidents are far more likely for expert users,” Musk points out. “It’s not the neophytes, it’s the expects. They get very comfortable with it, and repeatedly ignore the car’s warnings … The car will beep at them, they tug the wheel. It’ll beep at them, they tug the wheel. It becomes a reflex action.”
So, are the warnings about actual things it needs help with, or are they just nags?

I'd say very few are gone because of the website design change. WK057 is one, but I can't thing of any others. Rather, I'd say most are gone because of vast influx of new members with the Model S/X (since it was first mostly Roadster owners). The first Model S owners were new adopters, as were Roadster owners. Now there's the second waive of Model S owners, Model X owners, plus Model 3 reservation holders, and this place has become very different than what it was. A lot left because of that. It's not nearly as intimate and as welcoming as it once was. In fact, it not either of those things anymore which is why I think a lot have left and that has nothing to do with the website changes.
Where's the sad face rating button? :(

Reactions: Ormond