Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock tires wearing faster than expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping it was a fluke but hearing people say they only get 10k out of their tires makes me rethink sticking with the Michelins. And silly me thought the cost of tires would be similar to my previous (ICE) cars.

That's crazy, i'm running RE71R tires which are basically racing compound and are super sticky. I've put 4x track days, 1x autocross day and almost 5000 miles on them and am just now about to hit the wear bars.

I would expect the stock ones to get at least 15K for the P3D+ (Pilot Sport 4S) and way more than that for the P3D-

Cold? Interesting. I swapped my tires after about 6-7k because I changed my wheels at the same time, always interesting to see others’ wear rates.

Well it’s been below freezing most days the past few weeks in NJ and I haven’t added more air to the tires to compensate for the pressure loss due to lower air temp. It will report 45 psi on the screen when I check it after driving for just a few miles, so the tires aren’t too warm at that point.

Yesterday morning I was at 6901 miles on my P3D- with the stock 18" Primacy tires when I took it to Discount Tire to get a slow leak fixed (picked up a screw somewhere) and get my first rotation done. Unfortunately they found the rears were down to 2/32" and wouldn't/couldn't touch them. Very even wear across the rear treads, so not alignment. Fronts are at 8/32" so basically like new. I do drive fairly aggressively but I've never done donuts in this or any car. Average wh/mi is 302 (was 278 before winter). I chatted w/Michelin online and then the tire guy called them with an inspection report. They're covering 84% of the cost of replacement tires under the 45k treadwear warranty. Unfortunately my local shop didn't have them in stock so I'm going back Friday morning.

I'm hoping it was a fluke but hearing people say they only get 10k out of their tires makes me rethink sticking with the Michelins. And silly me thought the cost of tires would be similar to my previous (ICE) cars.
Glad to hear that Michelin honors the warranty for the stock tires.

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
My Nokian R2s on MX just blew through all the way to metal on the inside edges while the rest would have been good for another winter or two. They made it 2.5 winters and my MX is at about 45k miles. I have not figured out how many of those miles are on the R2s. The reason for the uneven wear is almost certainly due to my air suspension set in always low which pitches the tires inward. I could counteract this by aligning with the car set in low, but given my need for a little more clearance, I instead elected to set suspension in always standard. It will probably create a small handling and efficiency hit, but with my increased commute, I think it's worth having the tires last a lot longer. We will see ...

edit: just realized I posted this on a M3 thread. I thought it was a MS thread which has more (as in any) of the same problem I had with air suspension. BTW Despite this problem, I am still waiting for M3 to have air suspension before purchasing. I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty to go so far off topic ;)

Last edited:
I put 20k on my RWD LR, rotated once at about 8k. now all tires (stock ones) are gone, nothing left. it starts fishtailing often on wet road, never experienced this much before with other cars. I am looking for replacement tires as well. it looks like costco has both original and pilot sports, definitely I will try a different set than the stocked ones.

I wonder if part of the reason that the stock tires are wearing out so quickly is that they don’t have much tread to begin with at 8/32? I have the General Altimax RT 43 on my Subaru and tread depth new is 11/32. Not sure what the average new tire tread depth is, but 8/32 seems fairly low to me.

Yeah that could be it. I took another look at all of my tires again and the wear is not as bad as I expected compared to the last time I checked. My fears of having to replace the original tires after around 15K miles seem to be unfounded now. I did a quick sampling on Tire Rack of tire models I’ve had on previous cars and they all came with 10/32” of tread in the specs. Only 8/32” on the stock tires definitely seems a bit low. I will be going with different tires when it’s time to replace my original ones.

Last edited:
I put 20k on my RWD LR, rotated once at about 8k. now all tires (stock ones) are gone, nothing left. it starts fishtailing often on wet road, never experienced this much before with other cars. I am looking for replacement tires as well. it looks like costco has both original and pilot sports, definitely I will try a different set than the stocked ones.

Except that the Costco ones are not foam-filled like the OEMs. If you go with Costco Michelins, I'll be interested to hear if there's any noticeable difference in terms of road noise (I doubt it).

If you’re getting premature tire wear it could possibly be due to poor allignment from the factory. I blew through a set of rear tires in less than 7m miles.. originally the service team said I was on the hook for replacement, but after challenging their decision they replaced one of the two tires and covered the cost of allignment.

FYI.. they can tell how many times you were pedal to the metal, what time of the day/ night, your KW/hr, and will make decisions on coverage depending on driving style. The manager brought up an “incident” where I allegedly took the M3+ for a 2 am joy ride in track mode.

Bumping this to see if there are any more anecdotes. I took in my LR RWD in for its second rotation of the stock tires and at 11K miles it's at 3/32" on both rears and 5/32" on both fronts. Basically entering the stage of needing replacement. I drive faster and more "spirited" than most people, but not so much that I'd won't have expected to already need new tires. It doesn't go on the track or anything like that. I'm at 250 W/mi lifetime with 90% surface street driving with the standard regen setting.

I'm holding with Tesla service to speak to someone because this doesn't seem normal after reading some people barely have wear at twice my mileage. Has anyone else been through this and can share their experience?