Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock tires wearing faster than expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a stupid question - but if tires are wearing out before their expected life shouldn't all of you be filing a tire warranty claim? I've never had a tire wear our prematurely, so I can't speak to how these well these kinds of warranties are honored - but I'd think whenever my SR+ gets delivered and the clock starts, if the 19" wear out before they're supposed to I'd call up and file a claim, even for partial reimbursement of the tire(s) they're not cheap.
warranty not same as guaranteed life.
My parents promised support thru college.
If I stopped studying and they didn't pay tuition, it is not their fault.

I did the same thing. I inflate mine to 45 PSI cold. No way in hell would I ever go back to MXM4.
Agreed. After the PS4S drove and cornered in 2" deep water under speed last weekend more like it was a warm, dry day there is not a chance I'd go back to the MXM4.

I didn't go all the way up to 45PSI cold to start with, though. I found the MXM4 wore uneven in the center at that pressure so had backed away from that with them, too. What I'm doing is every couple days bringing my PSI up a bit. I'll stop and back off down once I find the edge of where I'm happy with handling. I expect that'll put me in the ballpark of proper wear, too. Then I'll also be using a tread depth gauge regularly to make sure they are wearing roughly even. That's mostly what killed the original tires, uneven wear, though I still got nearly 20K miles out of them.

Last edited:
warranty not same as guaranteed life.
My parents promised support thru college.
If I stopped studying and they didn't pay tuition, it is not their fault.

It's worth asking. I just had to replace tires on my wife's Audi, and got about $400 towards the new tires (any brand) because the OEMs didn't last anywhere near their warranty before wearing out. I'll be asking about these too since the Primacy are supposed to last 60k miles and I'm at 13k with worn out tires.

Agreed. After the PS4S drove and cornered in 2" deep water under speed last weekend more like it was a warm, dry day there is not a chance I'd go back to the MXM4.

I didn't go all the way up to 45PSI cold to start with, though. I found the MXM4 wore uneven in the center at that pressure so had backed away from that with them, too. What I'm doing is every couple days bringing my PSI up a bit. I'll stop and back off down once I find the edge of where I'm happy with handling. I expect that'll put me in the ballpark of proper wear, too. Then I'll also be using a tread depth gauge regularly to make sure they are wearing roughly even. That's mostly what killed the original tires, uneven wear, though I still got nearly 20K miles out of them.
I noticed how well they handle in the rain today compared to MXM4. Amazing!

Reactions: SammichLover
Is it true that rapid acceleration would wear the tires quickly? I would think that's more for tires that spin free. We are only putting the same stress on them we do coming around corners hard, no?

-Randy
That's right.
Turning corners fast will wear out the shoulders.
And quick accelerations will wear out the overall surface.
Gentle driving will conserve the rubber all around.
But where is the fun in that.
We live only one life and one life is too short!

Took Model 3 LR RWD in to resolve a few issues at 950 miles. Tesla gave me the numbers below on the 18"
PRIMACY MXM4's. Since the tires are 8.5/32" new are they rounding up to 9 for the fronts?

I'm at 221 Wh/mi and drive pretty gently. Ran at 45psi as delivered but toying with going lower for more comfort.

Tread depth
Front Driver Outer: 9
Front Driver Middle: 9
Front Driver Inner: 9
Front Passenger Outer: 9
Front Passenger Middle: 9
Front Passenger Inner: 9
Back Driver Outer: 8
Back Driver Middle: 8
Back Driver Inner: 8
Back Passenger Outer: 8
Back Passenger Middle: 8
Back Passenger Inner: 8

Someone in another thread got 30k miles on a RWD on the OEM 19” Continentals (this is a lower treadwear tire than the Primacy).

Folks that are on target for 12k miles are hammering it a bit to much me thinks. YMMV

Took Model 3 LR RWD in to resolve a few issues at 950 miles. Tesla gave me the numbers below on the 18"
PRIMACY MXM4's. Since the tires are 8.5/32" new are they rounding up to 9 for the fronts?

I'm at 221 Wh/mi and drive pretty gently. Ran at 45psi as delivered but toying with going lower for more comfort.

Tread depth
Front Driver Outer: 9
Front Driver Middle: 9
Front Driver Inner: 9
Front Passenger Outer: 9
Front Passenger Middle: 9
Front Passenger Inner: 9
Back Driver Outer: 8
Back Driver Middle: 8
Back Driver Inner: 8
Back Passenger Outer: 8
Back Passenger Middle: 8
Back Passenger Inner: 8

My tread depth gauge read 9 when close to new. A 1/64” is basically error on those gauges...

Reactions: mswlogo
B249230B-65A3-4A3C-9C87-0AC3289567F7.jpeg
1B1AAA16-BB5F-49A9-BE49-547FD839068C.jpeg
D88E045D-5980-4775-B06D-AE6D9C99FB81.jpeg
I can’t tell you just exactly how much depth I have, I guess I can use a precision caliper since that is what I have, but I’m now at 25,897 miles and this is what my driver front and driver rear look like. I rotated once at 12,000 miles. I do not peel out or drive aggressively. I do hit high top speeds but I don’t light up the tires from a standing stop. I have very minimal wear, with some inside wear on the front tire beginning to show slightly. 90 mile commute M-F from Laguna Niguel to Carlsbad.

Last edited:
View attachment 414316 View attachment 414317 View attachment 414318 I can’t tell you just exactly how much depth I have, I guess I can use a precision caliper since that is what I have, but I’m now at 25,897 miles and this is what my driver front and driver rear look like. I rotated once at 12,000 miles. I do not peel out or drive aggressively. I do hit high top speeds but I don’t light up the tires from a standing stop. I have very minimal wear, with some inside wear on the front tire beginning to show slightly. 90 mile commute M-F from Laguna Niguel to Carlsbad.

I would not call that minimal wear but looks pretty good. Looks like you’ll get around 30-32k out of them. Which is pretty good. You don’t want to wait until wear bars are flush. You’ll be prone to hydroplaning before then. Tirerack recommends 4/32, wear bars are at 2/32, your probably around 5/32 (if that in some spots), new they are 9/32.

Your wear bars look like they could be more than half your depth. Some folks would be tire shopping now with those. Depends on how cautious you are and how much you want to slow down in heavy rain. They would certainly pass any inspection for a good while.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jimi_hendrick
Has anyone purchased replacement tires from Costco? I’m wondering if they have the equipment and experience to service Teslas.
It varies by store. Phone ahead and they'll be able to tell you if they service Model 3s. If the don't have the equipment and training to put your car on their whitelist they won't. Finding an appropriate tire among their inventory list might be a bit more challenging, though. They don't stock that wide a range.

Someone in another thread got 30k miles on a RWD on the OEM 19” Continentals (this is a lower treadwear tire than the Primacy).

Folks that are on target for 12k miles are hammering it a bit to much me thinks. YMMV
Maybe they did a lot freeway driving? I only got about 12k out of my continentals. My commute home is on some very curvaceous back roads with rough surfaces. I might have hammered it few too many times. It’s fun to get the rear of the car to start sliding sideways around corners. I’m on target to get maybe 20k out of the mxm4s, but I’ve driven on them a lot more conservatively.

On the subject of 18" tires and wear, I would like to hear / know what replacement tires might be quieter, grippier and maybe maximizes miles per electron? I'm not due for a tire set change for some time yet but I'd like to keep my eyes and ears open to what people are experiencing with their replacement tire choices. I've accumulated 10000 in 9 months of "normal" driving to/from home/work, approximately 90% freeway. I don't mash the car often at all, appreciate taking some freeway curves above posted speed signage when safe, and when safe and appropriate, drive at the closer to the front end of the average or dynamic flow of traffic (and no, I NEVER weave in and out of lanes like those idiots).
Please share with me, what you're riding on and if there are any links similar to Consumer Reports on Model 3 DM/NP tire performance (and no, I'm not interested in lighter rims, cut springs, different shocks, etc). Thank you.

On the subject of 18" tires and wear, I would like to hear / know what replacement tires might be quieter, grippier and maybe maximizes miles per electron?

Just swapped out my wheels/tires with around 6500 miles on the odo. New summer Yokohama V105 are definitely grippier and quieter than stock Michelins.

Here are my stock Michelins, did not get around to first rotation yet. Seems excessive for all-season tires...5/32" for fronts and 7/32" for rears.
IMG_3217.jpg IMG_3216.jpg