Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock tires wearing faster than expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you give up on wheels that were 3/32 and 1/32 lower than new? That seems wasteful

I assume you're replying to my post. I upgraded from stock 18's to aftermarket 19's (which had nothing to do with treadwear), so had no use for the stocks anymore. I was just indicating how quickly the tread was wearing down. I haven't looked it up, but from your numbers the Michelins were 8/32" brand new? That seems low as most new tires are 9-10/32". So the fronts' useful tread is half gone after only 6500 miles before I had a chance to rotate them. If that's not horrendous for all-seasons, then I don't know what is.

Here's some insight for my current tire tread on my Model 3 LR RWD with 19" Sport Wheels (Continental Tires)
Recently took my car to American's Tires (Discount Tire for other regions/states) to measure my tread to see if I needed tire rotations

• 15,000 miles on tires currently
• Rotated tires at 6,250k (per Tesla's maintenance manual)
• 7/32 tread all around (Should last up to 25,000-30,000 miles)
• Will need to rotate tires back at 20,000
• Daily driving with limited fast acceleration when with friends or spirting driving on weekends
• Regen set to normal

Just checked my tires today. 14k miles. Rotated once at ~10k and they’re all evenly worn at 5/32 right now.

I’m not aggressive at all. I drive mostly LA traffic. Seems like it’s wearing out faster than it should. Not terrible but not great either. Definitely won’t last 60k miles per the “warranty” claim.

Friends 19” tires are at 7/32 and 22k miles. He drives way more aggressively than i do. Seems like the Continental ProContact tires are way better than the 18” Michelin’s.

Wow. That doesn’t make sense. How does it vary that much? Are the roads here worse?

The roads here suck, but 90% of miles are highway since the wife has a long commute. We don’t have lead feet (especially her) and there hasn’t been much flooring from a stop, but I still drive it fairly peppy at times.

Other than that, I’ve been pretty religious about rotating tires (rearward cross) around every 7k miles though the last was 40k. I could probably rotate one more time and stretch to 55k...basically I plan to replace when the rainy season hits.

Reactions: ebmcs03
Just checked my tires today. 14k miles. Rotated once at ~10k and they’re all evenly worn at 5/32 right now.

I’m not aggressive at all. I drive mostly LA traffic. Seems like it’s wearing out faster than it should. Not terrible but not great either. Definitely won’t last 60k miles per the “warranty” claim.

Friends 19” tires are at 7/32 and 22k miles. He drives way more aggressively than i do. Seems like the Continental ProContact tires are way better than the 18” Michelin’s.

Yeah, the MXM4s wear out faster according to everybody.

I just had my tires rotated on my LeMR while it was in for other service at the SC. Here is what they said as far as tread depth, seems a little fast wear for about 17,500 miles.

5F325BEC-C2E0-4FAA-B794-11E7E84DB4AF.jpeg

Yeah, the MXM4s wear out faster according to everybody.

i think the big issue is that the MXM4s come with 8/32" from factory whereas Conti comes with 10/32"... there's no way I'll stick with Michelin after my OEM set is done. $100 premium per tire over Conti but 2/32" less rubber from the factory. A shame... because otherwise Michelin is one of my preferred tire brands. F150 OEM truck tires lasted well beyond 60k miles...

Anyone else noticing that the tires that came with their 3 are wearing faster than you would expect? The tread on mine is already getting pretty low after just a little over 12,000 miles. I do tend to accelerate pretty hard at traffic lights so I'm guessing that probably explains a good amount of the wear. I've got the 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and a rear wheel drive Model 3 Long Range. I have already rotated the tires once but need to do another rotation this weekend. Just curious to see how everyone else's tires are holding up.
Here's my tire story. I picked up my LR RWD Model 3 on 7/1/18. In Feb 2020 I brought my car to the Burlingame SC to have the front section of the roof replaced (a rock or something happened to hit it at the perfect point to chip the edge and cause the front roof piece to crack). When I was a
Called that my car was ready, the service fellow told me my tires were low on tread (fronts 4/32, backs 2/32) and asked if I wanted Tesla to replace them. I had 16,818 miles on the car. I said not at this time. I brought the car home and checked for myself and saw that he was right. Just so happens that Costco had a tire sale on Michelins for another week. I bought a new set from Costco online and set an appointment (it was going to take a week for the tires to get to my chosen Costco). Then I called Michelin and asked for a warranty replacement as my tires had worn out in 16,818 miles instead of the expected 30k. They said I had to have Tesla call them to report the wear. I called the Tesla tech and asked him to call Michelin (I gave him the case #, guy @ Michelin's name and his number). Went to Costco at my designated appointment also asked the Costco service fellow to call Michelin (just to be sure). When I picked up my Model 3 from Costco, the service guy said Michelin was going to reimburse me 40% of my new tires back (seemed reasonable since 16.8k is 44% of 30k and the fronts had more tread left). Well, I forgot about it as they said it would take 8-12 weeks for the check. On 6/30/20 I remembered. I called Michelin back and asked where my check was. The fellow said they had changed computer systems and it was their error (like it somehow could've been mine?). To compensate they would up my reimbursement to 80%. I said great, when would I get the check. He told me 4-6 weeks. This time I put a reminder into my phone for exactly 6 weeks (8/11/20). On 8/11 I call them again (since I haven't gotten my check yet). The fellow checks on it and tells me it was sent today (8/11). I say good I'll wait a little longer. Today (8/14/20), the check shows up and it's for 80% of my new tire costs ($858.49 of my $1073.11 purchase cost). Yay! As of today I have 18,307 miles on my car. 5 weeks after getting the new tires (and 126 miles) I get a flat on the freeway, but that's another very long story.

Here's my tire story. I picked up my LR RWD Model 3 on 7/1/18. In Feb 2020 I brought my car to the Burlingame SC to have the front section of the roof replaced (a rock or something happened to hit it at the perfect point to chip the edge and cause the front roof piece to crack). When I was a
Called that my car was ready, the service fellow told me my tires were low on tread (fronts 4/32, backs 2/32) and asked if I wanted Tesla to replace them. I had 16,818 miles on the car. I said not at this time. I brought the car home and checked for myself and saw that he was right. Just so happens that Costco had a tire sale on Michelins for another week. I bought a new set from Costco online and set an appointment (it was going to take a week for the tires to get to my chosen Costco). Then I called Michelin and asked for a warranty replacement as my tires had worn out in 16,818 miles instead of the expected 30k. They said I had to have Tesla call them to report the wear. I called the Tesla tech and asked him to call Michelin (I gave him the case #, guy @ Michelin's name and his number). Went to Costco at my designated appointment also asked the Costco service fellow to call Michelin (just to be sure). When I picked up my Model 3 from Costco, the service guy said Michelin was going to reimburse me 40% of my new tires back (seemed reasonable since 16.8k is 44% of 30k and the fronts had more tread left). Well, I forgot about it as they said it would take 8-12 weeks for the check. On 6/30/20 I remembered. I called Michelin back and asked where my check was. The fellow said they had changed computer systems and it was their error (like it somehow could've been mine?). To compensate they would up my reimbursement to 80%. I said great, when would I get the check. He told me 4-6 weeks. This time I put a reminder into my phone for exactly 6 weeks (8/11/20). On 8/11 I call them again (since I haven't gotten my check yet). The fellow checks on it and tells me it was sent today (8/11). I say good I'll wait a little longer. Today (8/14/20), the check shows up and it's for 80% of my new tire costs ($858.49 of my $1073.11 purchase cost). Yay! As of today I have 18,307 miles on my car. 5 weeks after getting the new tires (and 126 miles) I get a flat on the freeway, but that's another very long story.

Great story, so cool it all worked out for you.

Fred

I have 8,600 miles on my SR and when rotating them yesterday I found the rears are basically at the wear bars!! Stock 18".
It was pretty even, so at least that is good. I rarely do any 0-60 stoplight launches. I do accelerate hard from rolling on occasion. And once per week I do some spirited driving on a mile stretch of country road.

I really didn't think that I was that hard on them, but with RWD and Regen braking the vast majority of work is being done by those rear tires. I was going to leave them in the rear and just wear down what remaining life is left, but I went ahead and swapped them and will likely replace all 4 after the holidays. The fronts were much better, but I would like to try a different tire and maybe a different size. Unfortunately no other size really works out very well on the Aero wheels.

I have 4500 miles on my PS4S that came stock on M3P. When took them off to put on winters, noticed that all 4 had more wear (7-71/2 32nds vs 8 32nds) on the innermost groove/tread. Having heard that there is very little leeway for camber on these guys, I suspected bad toe alignment even tho car tracked true. Had it checked at a Firestone alignment facility and sure enough all toes were "out" instead of "in", and out of spec per factory. I am going to take into Tesla Service Dec 23rd, show them the measurements and one tire and hope that they will realign at no charge to me (I would have had Firestone do it, but "we don't work on Teslas"--dumb, but I was very nice and I think the manager might come around in the future...)

PS. Tesla Service specified the charge for alignment (assuming not covered by warranty) at $238!--outrageous and I certainly won't have them do it if not covered. Firestone charged $23 to check the alignment and normally $100 to actually do it.

Did you have to show Michelin or Tesla SC that you rotated your tire at the recommended ~7,500-ish miles intervals to get the reimbursement?