Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange HVAC issue since windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the front windshield on my 2018 Model 3 changed on Aug 31 at the Fremont service center and have the exact same issue. On Auto climate control, air only comes out of the top windshield vents. I have done a soft reset three times and power cycled the car twice in the security settings. None of this has helped. I was already on the 2021.24.4 software. Have a message in to the service center as my ticket still open.

Please share resolution when y’all get one.

I have the same exact issue. Just got my windshield replaced and it will only blow out of the upper vent while on auto. Nothing I have done seems to fix it. Anyone find a fix?
Yes. Tesla repushed the same update I am on (in my case 24.3) and after the update my vents are back to normal. It seems like just doing any update fixes it. The tech was able to do so remotely before my appointment so now I don't have to go to the service center. He said he conversed with other techs to find this solution.

I had the front windshield on my 2018 Model 3 changed on Aug 31 at the Fremont service center and have the exact same issue. On Auto climate control, air only comes out of the top windshield vents. I have done a soft reset three times and power cycled the car twice in the security settings. None of this has helped. I was already on the 2021.24.4 software. Have a message in to the service center as my ticket still open.

Please share resolution when y’all get one.
I also had the service center remotely re-push the update 2021.24.4. Tested briefly last night and things seem to be working properly again. Took a couple days to get through to the advisor through the app messaging, but everything seems fine now with the auto climate and forward vents.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
I just picked up my my car after getting the windshield replaced and noticed on my drive home that I have this issue as well.

I brought the car in with version 2021.12.25. It looks like they pushed the latest update and am on 2021.24.5.

Do I call to request to revert back to previous firmware?

Now I feel like a jerk because I really tore into to them about it. Maybe I should send them some flowers or something… 🤔

Ha, I did the same to a local shop after I noticed a bunch of scratches on my bumper ... It looked like they drove it through a field.

Got home and realized it was when I ran over some rolled up carpet (the backside is rough) in the garage.

Went back with a box of donuts. 🍩

Count me in as another with this same problem after windshield replacement. Mine was done at Safelite and went very smooth otherwise. I am on 24.10. I will have to try get SW pushed. I don't want to bring it in out of warranty.

I just picked up my my car after getting the windshield replaced and noticed on my drive home that I have this issue as well.

I brought the car in with version 2021.12.25. It looks like they pushed the latest update and am on 2021.24.5.

Do I call to request to revert back to previous firmware?

If you got 24.10 ask them to resend after the windshield replacement. The ones with radar, that is the latest. It might fix your headaches!. Mind you it works, just need to manually fix the air which can be a pain. Now it's all automatic again, after the SW update (or resend).

Have them repush the update or wait for the new one. I just got 24.11 last night.
I`m not really sure where did you get the 24.10 and 24.11. Maybe not available in NorCal yet.
I called Tesla but the guy on the line said he was not able to push 24.5 (my current to me), said I need to contact my service center, I texted my service advisor (who was responsible for the glass replacement) and yet to get a response

which one you get is also based on if you have radar or Vision based system. Just bug them till they resend the update. Tell them the issue and it needs to be resolved. Usually the update fixes it otherwise they have bigger issues. Yours is an easy fix!

I too am amongst the many with this issue. Had my M3 windshield replaced for the second time. 1st time was in Oct 2020. This time the windshield vent blows on level 9 when in auto. I was on 2021.24.10 when it was replaced. Currently updating to 2021.24.11, hopefully this resolves it. Tesla sent me an estimate of $165.85 to diagnose the issue. Absolutely not, just spent $906.02 to replace the windshield, they’ll fix this if software doesn’t do it.

Reactions: Transformer
On Sept 7 I had my windshield replaced and sure enough I encountered the same problem.

I contacted Tesla service through the app and whoever replied suggested a diagnostics that will cost $100. Do not confirm

4 days later a newer software 2021.24.11 arrived and sure enough, the problem is fixed.

Not sure if there’s a better way to contact support but there definitely shouldn’t be an in house appointment that cost $100 to begin with. I’m glad I got an upgrade in time to fix the issue.