Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange new error message....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a new error message, just about every other day. It says "Braking regeneration temporarily reduced". It goes on to tell me that it will restore as I drive. Sure enough, the regeneration is much weaker.
This often persists for a couple hours. Anyone else seeing this? Car is 6 months old. Brakes work fine, otherwise.

Attachments

• 20211121_163906.jpg
    20211121_163906.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 154
Totally normal and expected. Happens when the battery is cold or when SOC is very high (like over 90% or something), or both. (Also sometimes when you put new snow tires on it or drive on slippery surfaces)

(You can reduce the cold weather one by preconditioning the battery using the app).

Welcome to winter. As mentioned above, it’s primarily temperature related, but state of charge factors into it, as well.

Preconditioning the vehicle will restore some of it, but that’s generally a waste of energy, as it takes more energy to warm the battery up than you get back from the additional regen. It also takes a long time to warm up a 1,000 pound battery pack.

Ah. Ok. If by cold, you mean 42 degrees or so, then yes, it was cold. I can't precondition AND charge during non peak times. If I set up precondition, it charges just ahead of the time your leaving... timing it so charging ends just before, correct? I charge to 89%, as I try to squeeze as much range as I can daily, and since this car has never gotten anywhere near the advertised range.

Ah. Ok. If by cold, you mean 42 degrees or so, then yes, it was cold. I can't precondition AND charge during non peak times. If I set up precondition, it charges just ahead of the time your leaving... timing it so charging ends just before, correct? I charge to 89%, as I try to squeeze as much range as I can daily, and since this car has never gotten anywhere near the advertised range.
Scheduled Departure Charging and Preconditioning are separate settings. You can setup Scheduled Departure Charging so that charging will always complete before the end of the off-peak rate period. Separately, you can schedule Preconditioning for weekdays only or all week indicating the time you normally leave. Depending on the outside temperature Preconditioning will start 20 or more minutes before the set time that you would normally leave.

If the Tesla vehicle is plugged in and you have Preconditioning turned on (either by setting the weekday or all week schedule for preconditioning or preconditioning manually using the Tesla app) the Tesla vehicle will draw power from the grid power connection. If the Tesla vehicle is not plugged, i.e. at the end of the workday, you can set a second preconditioning time and preconditioning will start even if not plugged in. (Note: The ability to set and maintain two separate Preconditioning times appears to be a new undocumented feature.)

If you Precondition the battery will be warmed; also the passenger cabin. Typically this will use ~1 to 2% of the battery charge if not plugged in.

If the informational message with the green dot appears you can swipe left and the message will collapse into just the green dot.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY