TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Strangest Parking Lot Question Ever

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Lanny, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

A fellow approached me in a parking lot today.

Him: Do you mind if I ask what kind of car is that?
    Me: It’s a Tesla Model S

Him: This is going to sound like a strange question but can that car drive itself?
    Me: Yeah, it drives itself with something called Autopilot.

Him: Oh good, I thought I was going crazy. I was beside one of those cars the other day and a guy was in the passenger seat and I couldn’t believe my eyes.
    Me: Whoa whoa, It doesn’t really work like that, I mean you gotta be in the driver’s seat...

Him: Well, there was only one guy in the car and he was in the passenger seat, no driver.
    Me: Are you sure?

Him: Yeah, it was on I-295 and I remembered the logo on the back and I just noticed that you have the same kind of car. What’s it called again?
    Me: Tesla.

I was just flabbergasted.

The scenario is unlikely but oddly plausible given that it was a Tesla.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Maybe he did one of the lame stunts like putting a brick on the front seat to activate the sensor. There are a lot of idiots out there.

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

Or if he was creeping along with summon.

4. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

5. Footbag

Footbag Member

6. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

So they disabled AP on some roads, but still didn't bother to link it to the butt in seat sensor...

7. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

That's a fun video, but it's on a private road with many precautions taken. I think the Infiniti video is more appropriate here, since the nutcase in question pulled that stunt on a public highway.

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Maybe it was Elon testing the AP2 hardware!

9. Footbag

Footbag Member

Fair point about it being a bit apples to oranges. In that case, might I offer...

TESLA AUTOPILOT DRIVING ITSELF ?

10. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

I was unaware of this one. What the hell is wrong with people?!

11. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Can't blame him. I-295 is a parking lot usually. I would climb into the passenger seat and take a nap too and let AP cruise along in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Another possibility might be that it was a right-hand drive vehicle and that the driver was driving from the "passenger" side.

13. loganss

loganss Spaceman

Sadly, I'm not surprised that someone was using the AP features without being in the driver's seat. I remember seeing some of the youtubes posts linked here. I hope there isn't a major accident caused while AP on with no driver in the driver seat. If that happens, Autopilot would be pulled from everyone instantly.

14. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The AP will disable if you unbuckle the seatbelt. I learned this a few days ago when I tried to take off my jacket.

15. 1208

1208 Active Member

Could be but there aren't any countries which drive on the left close to the USA. I checked and was surprised Canada isn't on the left bearing in mind it was an ex-colony.

16. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

That was kind of what I was thinking (but without Mr. Musk). Maybe some next generation test vehicle with backup controls on the passenger side.

Or maybe someone brought their right hand drive car over from the UK.

17. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

It could be that Tesla is testing driving controllers for disabled. Model S is completely computer controlled, so developing a small controller to drive the car should be an easy task. The driver on the right seat was actually driving with the micro controller on his laps! :)

18. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

That's what went through my mind. Every time I'm in New Zealand or Australia it looks like the cars are driving themselves with no passengers. I just had some visitors from Australia over the holidays and they instinctively went to the driver's door, like I do as a passenger when visiting them. It always gives us a chuckle.

19. TesAus

TesAus Member

Maybe a Tesla test vehicle testing that some new feature works on a RHD vehicle. They are after all all made in the same factory even if some final assembly is done in Europe for European cars. Australian and Japanese cars are fully assembled in California.

20. loganss

loganss Spaceman

I would have thought test vehicles would primarily be in California near Tesla HQ or unique environments (e.g. extreme temperature environments). I don't imagine the DMV road conditions to be that much different to test never before seen AP tech. Still possible though.