Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struggling with insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Losing the plot a little here... I am picking up my model Y LR today so being a last-minute kinda chap I went looking for insurance quotes and everything is coming back £2000 plus. I am 40 clean record 15+ NCD and my wife is 36 also clean record etc. I have an M3P and that is about £700 to insure and I am trading in an ID4 for which i think my wife is paying about £500.

Have spent all day on insurance and comparison sites and I notice in the Model Y deliveries thread lots of people getting sensible quotes. Am i doing something super dumb?

Losing the plot a little here... I am picking up my model Y LR today so being a last-minute kinda chap I went looking for insurance quotes and everything is coming back £2000 plus. I am 40 clean record 15+ NCD and my wife is 36 also clean record etc. I have an M3P and that is about £700 to insure and I am trading in an ID4 for which i think my wife is paying about £500.

Have spent all day on insurance and comparison sites and I notice in the Model Y deliveries thread lots of people getting sensible quotes. Am i doing something super dumb?
Have you tried Direct Line, as Tesla's preferred insurance provider? As the Model Y is new many companies won't have realistic prices yet.

Wow that's is very high. any points or past incidents?

I'm same age, same NCD and MYLR was £540 from Admiral and £590 from Direct Line (multicar discount included).
There was nothing in both of those quotations that you could tick other than full disclosure of details (address, where parked, job title etc), MYLR was in their database (507bhp long range variant).

BTW I went with Direct Line in the end.

These figures include protected NCB.
Can't recall excess though but I left them on "default" or as quoted

Nothing other than starting another insurance thread when there's one already on the go ;) :

Reactions: Roarr

Never leave it to the last minute, it's an opportunity for the insurance companies to screw you over.

Reactions: Pink Duck

have you tried this:

then there's another thing:
a) check if any insurance would be cheaper if taken in 10-14 days? If yes, you may take any expensive one for the drive off, then insure with new one, cheaper, and cancel the expensive one within cancellation window (14 days)

The biggest problem you've got - as said above - is that you're looking for insurance to run immediately, so you're going to have your pants pulled down because they know you're desperate.

You ideally need to be looking for quotes at least 2 weeks before you actually want the policy to start.

Not very helpful I'm afraid, but you might find better quotes if you push the date you actually need to drive the car out a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: Pink Duck and init6
The biggest problem you've got - as said above - is that you're looking for insurance to run immediately, so you're going to have your pants pulled down because they know you're desperate.

You ideally need to be looking for quotes at least 2 weeks before you actually want the policy to start.

Not very helpful I'm afraid, but you might find better quotes if you push the date you actually need to drive the car out a bit.
I wonder though if he could arrange temporary insurance to pick the car up and then full insurance for a couple weeks time. I know it would be super frustrating to have the car sitting for two weeks, but might make a big difference in costs. May also teach the OP to plan ahead a bit :)

Reactions: Pink Duck
I wonder though if he could arrange temporary insurance to pick the car up and then full insurance for a couple weeks time.
A always took out temporary insurance cover when buying a car and that allows me to get home and worry about it the next day or whatever but I simply couldn't get any of the previous short terms insurance companies I've used to quote for my Model 3. I really should have took that as a sign but thats another story :cool:

Reactions: init6

Regardless - Beware if looking at tesla insurance.

Starting to see the bait and switch tactic tesla is using for its insurance.

My premium is up 15% in one year, No claims, No coverage changes.

Have you disclosed your username? ;)

Churchill's just offered me a £400 renewal. 51, same NCD etc as you

The cost-effective approach is to take out temporary insurance in order to drive home, having done future-dated quotes for a multi-car policy with your wife as a named driver for 23 days ahead on multiple comparison websites (MoneySuperMarket, CompareTheMarket, Confused.com, GoCompare, QuoteZone), plus DirectLine and Aviva. Sadly that means not using your lovely new Tesla for a while, but premium should come out around £440 if so.

The problem this year is that insurers are compelled to keep renewal offers to loyal customers less than the ones they give to new customers. So as I found it was impossible to beat my renewal offer, itself 3% up on last year. The average market price itself was up 5% in Q4, having been 6% down year-on-year.

• Informative
Reactions: init6 and Beady3647