Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance renewal in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m having a tin foil hat moment.

Now we know Tesla insurance is almost certainly coming to the U.K., I can’t help but shake the idea that this would be a very good way to swoop in on the market:

1. Keep the number of shops who can do accident repairs artificially low, deprioritise parts to insurance repairs (parts scarcity, increase wait times and thus hire costs pushing up claim costs for insurers and premium costs for customers)
  2. Make said parts very expensive (pushes up premiums for existing insurers further)
  3. Install a different process for tesla insurance customers (prioritise parts for these repairs, parts at cost or close to it)
  4. Undercut everyone else in the market and wave a magic wand “fixing” all of the issues above for tesla insurance customers
  5. Rest of the insurance market get shut-out - Profit???
Does this sound entirely crazy? 😭
It would be highly illegal, would break competition laws at the very minimum.

Below are the massively varying quotes I’ve had and I’ve just paid Churchill

Direct quoteTesco
£1,878.90​
Direct quoteSaga
£1,275.86​
RACLV
£1,226.09​
Direct quoteLV
£1,095.08​
AsdaHastings
£943.81​
Car coCar Line
£908.75​
Direct quoteFlow
£848.24​
Direct quoteDirect Line
£652.68​
Direct quoteChurchill
£640.76​
Via TeslaDirect Line
£625.12​
Go CompareChurchill
£612.49​
UswitchPrivilege
£608.24​
Go ComparePrivilege
£606.37​
Compare TMPrivilege
£586.66​
ConfusedChurchill
£562.73​
ConfusedPrivilege
£559.11​
Compare TMChurchill
£533.89​

Below are the massively varying quotes I’ve had and I’ve just paid Churchill

Direct quoteTesco
£1,878.90​
Direct quoteSaga
£1,275.86​
RACLV
£1,226.09​
Direct quoteLV
£1,095.08​
AsdaHastings
£943.81​
Car coCar Line
£908.75​
Direct quoteFlow
£848.24​
Direct quoteDirect Line
£652.68​
Direct quoteChurchill
£640.76​
Via TeslaDirect Line
£625.12​
Go CompareChurchill
£612.49​
UswitchPrivilege
£608.24​
Go ComparePrivilege
£606.37​
Compare TMPrivilege
£586.66​
ConfusedChurchill
£562.73​
ConfusedPrivilege
£559.11​
Compare TMChurchill
£533.89​
Not an especially wide spread in my experience.

You'll save another ~10% by running the comparison / purchase through a cashback site.

I’m having a tin foil hat moment.

Now we know Tesla insurance is almost certainly coming to the U.K., I can’t help but shake the idea that this would be a very good way to swoop in on the market:

1. Keep the number of shops who can do accident repairs artificially low, deprioritise parts to insurance repairs (parts scarcity, increase wait times and thus hire costs pushing up claim costs for insurers and premium costs for customers)
  2. Make said parts very expensive (pushes up premiums for existing insurers further)
  3. Install a different process for tesla insurance customers (prioritise parts for these repairs, parts at cost or close to it)
  4. Undercut everyone else in the market and wave a magic wand “fixing” all of the issues above for tesla insurance customers
  5. Rest of the insurance market get shut-out - Profit???
Does this sound entirely crazy? 😭
Insurance prices are ridiculous here for the 3/Y in comparison to S/X quotes, I can get a P100D insured cheaper than a standard 3/Y, all they need to do is undercut existing providers and I would move

Reactions: Casss
TopCashBack and QuidCo use Confused.com and CompareTheMarket.com behind the scenes in any case, but worth a shot if curious.
Yep.

I ran the Topcashback comparison (as well as a number of others for 'calibration' purposes, plus Direct Line) and got one of the best prices with a well rated insurer there.....with the additional £42 cashback it was far and away the best deal out there for me.

Got my renewal quote from Novo today - £1673. Last year it was ~£1144, year before that ~£831. Nothing has changed about the car or my circumstances, so this is presumably all based on claims data for the car/brand generally. I have 18 years NCD, live rurally, do barely any miles, etc.

Just did a quote direct with LV= - £941 but if I declare PPF (only option is for "vinyl wrap") that goes up to £1073.

Sadly a lot of places don't cover PPF.

Pretty cheesed off really.

Got my renewal quote from Novo today - £1673. Last year it was ~£1144, year before that ~£831. Nothing has changed about the car or my circumstances, so this is presumably all based on claims data for the car/brand generally. I have 18 years NCD, live rurally, do barely any miles, etc.

Just did a quote direct with LV= - £941 but if I declare PPF (only option is for "vinyl wrap") that goes up to £1073.

Sadly a lot of places don't cover PPF.

Pretty cheesed off really.
Welcome to the club. Our renewal has gone up by around 50% each year, despite the car being a year older. We’re definitely getting done over with these repair costs.

Reactions: Durzel
Do a requote on DL website and use that to try and knock it back down.
I did that last year and will be doing same this year as like you, apparently DL have done a ~£200 facelift...
A quick online DL requote then used the info in a quick call to DL and knocked the £200 uplift off and a bit more. They didn’t even ask for proof of the quote. Tesla specific site quoted exactly same price as non Tesla and even asked the same questions.

All rather pointless really.