Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Stupid Ideas" For long range Electric Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you had any crazy ideas you would like to see on future electric Vehicle?

Well I asked myself this question and lately I've been driven mad by this idea, concept...I know it's a stupid idea, it's not suppose to be possible...or if it was that easy for sure someone would have done it and get billion on it by now...But yet, i can't help remove it off my head

What if when the car reach a minimum speed of 60 mph it becomes possible to de-activate the Front or Back motor and somehow change the rotation...It would thus become a generator instead of a motor and it would throw back energy in the battery...

If you apply Electric power to a motor, you will get mechanical power, but if you apply mechanical power to a motor you will get electrical power...Now I know motors are not efficient generators, and you would have to apply lot more mechanical power to get the same electrical power due to it's low efficiency... and reaching a certain speed it's just doesn't work as a generator...

But what if someone designed a motor, that was efficient enough to generate power, and invented that Gear box to use the rotation of the active motor and transform it to a higher speed with the help of this gear box to apply mechanical power to the un-active front motor/generator...-Then in theory that would work because the motor would be efficient enough to generate electric power and provide it to the battery...while that same battery is giving energy to the active motor...

That wouldn't be infinite range since at some point you will probably spend more energy than you can provide...but if that idea is possible I think it might drastically improve the range on electric cars...

Any ideas? Comments? Is it really that stupid ? lol

Any one else thought of other "Stupid Idea" for Electric Cars ?

Yes, it is really stupid (you asked ;)).

You can never get more energy out than you put in, so these types of devices would actually reduce your range. The drag your device would put on the vehicle would be greater than the energy generated.

• Helpful
Reactions: AndreN
Read this again, slowly, and think about what you have written. Then get back to us :)

Lol I did say it was a "Stupid Idea..." but although most people I talked about it says it's impossible, and although I have nothing to say to prove them wrong...somehow..the way I visualise it, I see it in my head crystal clear that it works...but I don't know how to explain it, I just can't remove it off my head...
IT's like saying the energy generated by en gas engine can never power the batteries and drive the car at the same time..But some how they made it work in the Chevy Volt...

Last edited:
IT's like saying the energy generated by en gas engine can never power the batteries and drive the car at the same time..

Sure it can. But then part of the power goes to the battery and part of it to the wheels. But all of the energy can't go both to the battery and to the wheels at the same time! That would be magic, right? If that was possible, why not have the gasoline engine both drive the car and charge a hundred batteries at the same time? Or a thousand?

And maybe this will help you see things clearer: In your example you mention 60 mph. Why 60 mph? Why not have this charging while-at-the-same time driving with the same energy happen right from the get go? Then you could just go and go and go forever.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Sure it can. But then part of the power goes to the battery and part of it to the wheels. But all of the energy can't go both to the battery and to the wheels at the same time! That would be magic, right? If that was possible, why not have the gasoline engine both drive the car and charge a hundred batteries at the same time? Or a thousand?

And maybe this will help you see things clearer: In your example you mention 60 mph. Why 60 mph? Why not have this charging while-at-the-same time driving with the same energy happen right from the get go? Then you could just go and go and go forever.

Yah You are right...

This is so stupid...I see it now...

How do I delete this thread?

Thanks for your help

Don't sweat it. It's good to dream. Maybe cut back a bit on that fine Canadian indica weed?

Also you can't delete the thread - it will be here on the internet forever and ever. :)

Nah I stay away from that...If I can dream that High when I'm off it, then if i'm on it i'll be Tupac lol a pure genius... lol

Damn I wish I could edit my initial comment :( I don't wanna look back one day and realise how dumb that was...

1.jpg

It's actually a simplified analogy to your original idea. All motors work with magnetic fields. It's a fallacy in thinking that you can spend energy for forward motion, but not realizing that the generating power from that forward motion will slow you down by the exact same amount. Add on friction and other losses, and all perpetual motion devices will eventually stop.

Instead of SuperChargers through mountain areas Tesla could have trailers you pull and at the top of each hill there is an automated rock dumper that fills the trailer with rocks. At the bottom of the hill you pull a cord and dump the rocks.

It would work....and it is stupid.

Instead of SuperChargers through mountain areas Tesla could have trailers you pull and at the top of each hill there is an automated rock dumper that fills the trailer with rocks. At the bottom of the hill you pull a cord and dump the rocks.

It would work....and it is stupid.

If the automated rock dumper used less energy than you gain from going down hill then yes, it would kind of work until you run out of rocks on top of the hill. When that happens new rocks (or the same ones) would have to be transported up to the top of the hill again. This requires energy. Once the rocks are up on top again you have effectively stored the energy used to move them, minus losses, as potential energy, which can then be released/given off to the cars as they roll down the hill with the stones in the trailer (again minus losses). So basically the rocks are just energy carriers, like batteries, and at the start of the thought experiment there was just a bunch of rocks sitting on top of the hill, sort of like how rechargeable AA batteries come pre-charged from the store...

You would have a pile of rocks at the top of the hill in the form of a mountain and dump them at the bottom of the hill.

This even looks better when you realize the landscape will eventually be flattened and then you can really be efficient.

You could also get a kite boarding kite and if you have pano, autopilot, and a tailwind,
you could stand and hold the kite be really efficient. If somebody could photoshop this secenario it would make me laugh.

Reactions: Johan