Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Submit Final Payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - saw a thread on this earlier but lost it now that it's relevant. I am at the "submit final payment" step prior to pickup tomorrow - exciting! (Also, this whole weather / door freezing debate makes me nervous, but I am sure it is solvable).

Based on advice I've seen elsewhere, I intend to pay with a personal check after a thorough inspection tomorrow. My DA has not been great, so I can't ask him - just confirming that Tesla won't cancel delivery if I don't pay at this step, right?

Thanks!

I am due to take delivery on my model 3 also within the next few days. I am not paying anything untill I inspect the car. I was told I can bring a check from my credit union for the loan and pay the remaining balance via personal check the day of delivery.

I had a not so great experience with my DA as well. Luckily everything went very smoothly when actually picking up Tess.
I had to wait until there was 24 or 48 hours prior to pickup to be given the total for the vehicle to give to my bank.
You will likely be able to do something similar and they should not cancel your order. Especially if you have a bank check for the correct amount.
I ended up doing an ACH because it took them so long to give me the total amount. Luckily they accepted my dealer funding request and I got my car without any problems. You won't care about any of the hassle you go through once you get to drive your Tesla.

My DA told me the following in regard to delivery on Friday:

I would expect the car to be at your home in around 2 weeks. We just need to secure payment and finish paper work once we complete this it should be about 7 days that the car gets to your home

I told him I would ACH my portion of the funds upon delivery, and that I would have a bank check for the lender's portion at delivery. Everything I read here says that you shouldn't make payment prior to delivery. I'm in Memphis, TN, was a first day reservation holder. I ordered a MR Pearl White with EAP, B\W interior and 19" wheels on the morning of October 19th. I have completed all paperwork (my DA should have received the title paperwork executed by me on Fri via the fedex label he sent me) and I have a copy of the fully executed MVPA. I was originally given a delivery date of 11/20, but I wasn't about to hold my breath.

If I wanted to make a $5k payment via CC, how do I go about doing that? The payment option in my account only provides for a "Secure Payment", which is via ACH.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

I would expect the car to be at your home in around 2 weeks. We just need to secure payment and finish paper work once we complete this it should be about 7 days that the car gets to your home

I told him I would ACH my portion of the funds upon delivery, and that I would have a bank check for the lender's portion at delivery. Everything I read here says that you shouldn't make payment prior to delivery. I'm in Memphis, TN, was a first day reservation holder. I ordered a MR Pearl White with EAP, B\W interior and 19" wheels on the morning of October 19th. I have completed all paperwork (my DA should have received the title paperwork executed by me on Fri via the fedex label he sent me) and I have a copy of the fully executed MVPA. I was originally given a delivery date of 11/20, but I wasn't about to hold my breath.

If I wanted to make a $5k payment via CC, how do I go about doing that? The payment option in my account only provides for a "Secure Payment", which is via ACH.
I am no expert, but I believe if you wanted to put another 5k down you would likely need to call Tesla. (Since you are not going to a Tesla Service Center to pick up your vehicle in person, you won't be able to pay them at the Service Center.) I would keep in mind that your CC likely has more interest than your loan would. Of course I do not know your specific financial details, but maybe you could put 5k down on the portion of the loan you are getting?

Most typical car dealers have a very low limit of how much you can put down on a credit card, maybe $2,500 to $5,000 total. They have to pay about 1.5% to the credit card company which no car dealer wants to lose. I don't know if Tesla has the same policy, but if you've already put down a down payment via credit card, that may be all they allow. Just a thought, again, I don't know their policy. If they allowed payment via CC, I'd love to use a card and get all those member rewards points (I always pay my cards in full the same month to avoid interest).

Last edited:
Well, my DA is adamant that Tesla will not deliver my MR to my home without prior payment in full. I really don't want to pay for the car without inspecting it first. My DA is saying I can pick up the car at the TN Service Center in Brentwood without prepayment. I can pay for the car in full before delivery, but feel I shouldn't have to. I may compromise by offering to let them pay for a rental car for me to drive to Brentwood on Saturday, where I would pick up the car after inspecting it first. I've not heard anyone else say that their DA was insisting on payment first. My car is in Brentwood now, supposedly.

Is anyone else getting this from their Tesla DA?

Well, my DA is adamant that Tesla will not deliver my MR to my home without prior payment in full. I really don't want to pay for the car without inspecting it first. My DA is saying I can pick up the car at the TN Service Center in Brentwood without prepayment. I can pay for the car in full before delivery, but feel I shouldn't have to. I may compromise by offering to let them pay for a rental car for me to drive to Brentwood on Saturday, where I would pick up the car after inspecting it first. I've not heard anyone else say that their DA was insisting on payment first. My car is in Brentwood now, supposedly.

Is anyone else getting this from their Tesla DA?

First, verify with Brentwood directly that the car is ACTUALLY there, since DAs have been known to be wrong about such things.

Second, ask for transportation to Brentwood.

If they won't give you transportation to Brentwood... well, then you have to decide whether to go there on your own or cancel your order for a full refund of the "nonrefundable" deposit.

Under no circumstances pay before seeing the car; people have gotten lemons that way. There is a two-day return policy, but you'd have to drive the car back to Brentwood to return it (and then find a way to get home from Brentwood), and Tesla would have your money for an indeterminate period, which is particularly problematic if you have a car loan. So you might as well go to Brentwood in the first place, IMHO.

I am no expert, but I believe if you wanted to put another 5k down you would likely need to call Tesla. (Since you are not going to a Tesla Service Center to pick up your vehicle in person, you won't be able to pay them at the Service Center.) I would keep in mind that your CC likely has more interest than your loan would.
Agree - use ACH feature on your Tesla page.

Tesla does not take credit card payments except for deposit and online store purchases .

You should not have to pay for you car prior to delivery. I gave the Tesla Service Center a dealer funding request from my bank. They had to fill out the information required and send it to my banking institution to receive their payment. They did not process the dealer funding request for roughly 4 days after I had picked up my Tesla Model 3. As long as the funds are good to go, you should be able to do an ACH transfer upon pickup and thorough inspection of your vehicle.

Does anyone know how I can prevent refusal of the car and starting the loan process over for a third time?

I don’t want to attach a
Vin to the check unless I am sure I am taking the car home.

Tesla messed up on the first go around and could not deliver me the vehicle. I had to cancel and re apply for the loan, also added .25 to my rate because it’s a new loan and rates changed.

Just got approved again.... I don’t want to do this all over again.

Tips?

Does anyone know how I can prevent refusal of the car and starting the loan process over for a third time?

I don’t want to attach a
Vin to the check unless I am sure I am taking the car home.

Tesla messed up on the first go around and could not deliver me the vehicle. I had to cancel and re apply for the loan, also added .25 to my rate because it’s a new loan and rates changed.

Just got approved again.... I don’t want to do this all over again.

Tips?

I would recommend using ACH. This would require Tesla to sign a dealer funding request in order to get the funds transferred. Don't give them the dealer funding request (supplied from the bank) until you have eyes and hands on your car and keys. (cards)

They might try to BS and say they don't accept ACH, but they do, their head quarters reps, and website say they do also. Using ACH made my purchasing process slightly smoother.

Good luck and hope the info you find here helps you.

Reactions: LyftupX