Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer Installation in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed a small enclosed woofer from sound ordinance. It's not super powerful, but it's enough bass increase for me.

The unit fits in the corner pocket. I'll probably strap it into the corner so it doesn't bounce around.

Power is from 12v auxiliary. The crutchfield techs think I should run a fused power line from the battery. I am waiting to see if I really do blow the 10 amp fuse that's in the lighter plug.

Signal is from the front speakers. Woofer had a high input as well as a line input. Speaker wires on the right were a different color than teslatap's. Mine were grey/grey-black. The plug that is in teslatap's pictures is not plugged into anything in my car (late September 2014 production w new sensors).

Good boost of bass. Adjustable w knob that runs to center console.

What about power for the amp to drive the sub?
Did you go directly to 12v battery ?

I have a project on my own with 2 amp's that needs power from the 12v battery.

I believe the instructions on TeslaTap talk about installing a fuse in the frunk fuse-box and going off of that. This would be opposed to the method a lot of us were taught and that is a battery terminal with an auxiliary hookup for heavy gauge wire (4,8,10). As I think I mentioned before, if you are lacking some of the options, then I would submit that would give you more of a margin for error in hooking up additional amperage draws to the battery. Great example being cold-weather package for rear seat heater and nozzle warmers. Without that option, you could have an extra 15amps to add knowing that the system was designed for at least that much more. Fogs and air suspension, even parking sensors may be added fuse draws that could be re-purposed. Then again, I didn't design that car so a lot of this is deduction and supposition.

I believe the instructions on TeslaTap talk about installing a fuse in the frunk fuse-box and going off of that. This would be opposed to the method a lot of us were taught and that is a battery terminal with an auxiliary hookup for heavy gauge wire (4,8,10). As I think I mentioned before, if you are lacking some of the options, then I would submit that would give you more of a margin for error in hooking up additional amperage draws to the battery. Great example being cold-weather package for rear seat heater and nozzle warmers. Without that option, you could have an extra 15amps to add knowing that the system was designed for at least that much more. Fogs and air suspension, even parking sensors may be added fuse draws that could be re-purposed. Then again, I didn't design that car so a lot of this is deduction and supposition.

I ended up taking the power from the battery, just like I would have done with an ICE Car.
You can see my setup on teslafied.eu

Where did you guys install the amp?&nbsp;&nbsp; I got the NVX and installed the amp in the frunk cubby, and got a problem.&nbsp; Tesla's annual service require removal of the frunk cubby, since my amp is in the way, they can't perform the service unless I remove my amp.<br><br>I am looking for a new place to relocate my amp.&nbsp;&nbsp; anyone encounter this issue?<br>
<br>

Where did you guys install the amp?&nbsp;&nbsp; I got the NVX and installed the amp in the frunk cubby, and got a problem.&nbsp; Tesla's annual service require removal of the frunk cubby, since my amp is in the way, they can't perform the service unless I remove my amp.<br><br>I am looking for a new place to relocate my amp.&nbsp;&nbsp; anyone encounter this issue?<br>
<br>

Mine are in the trunk cubbys.
One in each side.

I have also built a subwoofer in one of the sides - still don't know if I will have to remove it, because it's blocking the back of the chargeport.

Potentially stupid question here. If you make a custom fiberglass enclosure, do you measure the volume (inside space) of it when finished and then try to find a subwoofer with enclosure requirements that closely matches? How do you plan this out? Or does it just not matter as much because we aren't building a competition system?

Potentially stupid question here. If you make a custom fiberglass enclosure, do you measure the volume (inside space) of it when finished and then try to find a subwoofer with enclosure requirements that closely matches? How do you plan this out? Or does it just not matter as much because we aren't building a competition system?

Roughly measure, build fiberglass part, fill with water to get volume, and then trim down front of enclosure until its close enough to not bother you before you slap the MDF front on.

Love it, love it, love it.

More pics of the installs please!

However, only 2 things are holding me back... but I LOVE bass...

1. installing in such a hi-tech car... (I've done many other cars and boats before)
2. Terrified of warranty issues. My car's had more problems than a penguin trying climb a tree... and when I hit 100 visits to the Serv.Ctr, I think I win a prize.

In any case, has anyone had any questions from a service center/warranty issues? I must be the only S owner on the planet who has had the same 12v battery for 4 years now... and don't want to muck it up...

1. installing in such a hi-tech car... (I've done many other cars and boats before)
2. Terrified of warranty issues. My car's had more problems than a penguin trying climb a tree... and when I hit 100 visits to the Serv.Ctr, I think I win a prize.

In any case, has anyone had any questions from a service center/warranty issues? I must be the only S owner on the planet who has had the same 12v battery for 4 years now... and don't want to muck it up...
So funny story. I've had two S' over 3 years, both with the same sub install. I've never had a 12v battery issue for the entire 80k mile history. It's a point of mild speculation and bemusement at the service center.

I'm dreading #1 here also, as I've done many subwoofer & amplifier installs over the past 15 years in my own vehicles. I'm more concerned about damaging something in this car, and being stuck with an expensive electric paperclip.

I'm dreading #1 here also, as I've done many subwoofer & amplifier installs over the past 15 years in my own vehicles. I'm more concerned about damaging something in this car, and being stuck with an expensive electric paperclip.
Surprisingly, it's a pretty standard 12v automobile system under everything. Same fuses, same 12v posts, hell, even the speaker wires are color coded industry standard for an after-market wiring harness.