Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful connection on the Model S internal Ethernet network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(...)
Today I susscefully connected to this connector, with a 2 row 4 contact male header (2mm pitch)
(...)
These 3 peripheral send of lot of data in broadcast UDP, to 192.168.90.255 broadcat address. Different UDP ports are used depending of data type.

In fact they use the same principle a CAN bus use :

- Everyone send data on the network
- Anyone who need it listen for this data.
============

Hello,

Have you checked whether the broadcast data is anything like the RTPS protocol? As its name implies, the RTPS (Real-Time Publish/Subscribe) uses the publish/subscribe interaction model, just like CAN. Unlike CAN, the published data is identified by a named 'topic', instead of a message id.

Cheers,

Mario.

Yeah people! This is great. Hack into the car and spread the news!
Can't wait till someone will use that data to break into my car, attach a little electronic box, disable all tracking abilities and drive away!.... Great work! Thanks in advance.

Much like you can do with any other car built after 1995; in fact many of those have no tracking device at all. Though, I am certain that is not the point of this thread. In fact I bet is quite the opposite.

Hi,

I haven't had much time to digg further in the Tesla model S internal computer systems or network, however I managed to get a mouse input device working on the 17" dispaly device.

I made a short crappy quality video about to demonstrate it. (Yes it's crappy quality, yes I know about the vertical video syndrome and yes I know you can see my location in the GPS: but I don't care).

I used one of the USB ports for the mouse input. A keyboard doesn't work, altough some keys send "weird" characters and sometimes crash the system.

Also tried holding the shift while booting in the hope to get at the bootloader, holding i to see if we get an "i"nteractive init, pressing esc in the hope to escape the splash screen and ofcourse hitting alt-f<1..12> and ctrl-alt-f<1..12> in the hope to switch the foreground terminal. All without any success....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I haven't had much time to digg further in the Tesla model S internal computer systems or network, however I managed to get a mouse input device working on the 17" dispaly device.

I made a short crappy quality video about to demonstrate it. (Yes it's crappy quality, yes I know about the vertical video syndrome and yes I know you can see my location in the GPS: but I don't care).

I used one of the USB ports for the mouse input. A keyboard doesn't work, altough some keys send "weird" characters and sometimes crash the system.

Also tried holding the shift while booting in the hope to get at the bootloader, holding i to see if we get an "i"nteractive init, pressing esc in the hope to escape the splash screen and ofcourse hitting alt-f<1..12> and ctrl-alt-f<1..12> in the hope to switch the foreground terminal. All without any success....
This has been in the OS since the beginning. According to some reports in the thread below keyboard input worked up until firmware 4.5 but not after that... Someone at Tesla probably thought what you though about the different inputs that could get you "behind" the visual OS during booting etc.

USB Keyboard and Mouse

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Johan,

Thank you! I didn't know that, interesting.
However, I am planning to do some more testing next weekend to see if I can send some keystrokes somehow.

Come to think of it, it'd be very interesting to go back in time to try your ideas of sending these key strokes during the boot process. Or if by any chance there are still any cars out there running 4.5?

In general owners have been allowed to keep declining updates, but there are several stories of owners claiming Tesla have forced updates on them.

Anyone else read the entire thread, or most of it just to see if you'd start to understand it? Or maybe you were hoping some of the "smart" would rub off on you? Well I can say, I'm just as stupid as before! I think that 3rd pin or port thingy provides access to the Flux capacitor. If you all find it, let me know so I can go " back in time" to get back the hour I just lost. J/K. Scoop J

Very concerned too. But I only connected to ethernet diagnostic port, and will only read data on this port, will never try to do more, it will not void my warranty

Hehe, the httpd wouldn't have just given you any objects unless you asked for them. That is, there was traffic from your browser to the web server. That's not just listening, that was a conversation.