Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful data recovery of broken eMMC chip MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did. the timestamp is with -td so i only see the latest log. it's already on sda. whole bunch error messages on failed read.
  1. Are you able to read extcsd information?
  2. I don't have read up on it , but for password locked devices, is 48 second timeout something that would be expected (or would a read return command an error immediately if the device is locked)?

No luck. I gave it to Hans auto here in Los Anegeles Area to do the reading. Looks like he is able to read it, but not with my allsocket.
Interesting. So the chip is not locked, but somehow now working. For your AllSocket SD reader, did you replace the C2 0.1uF capacitor with a 1uF, as per reported suggestion from AllSocket support, to make it work with SK Hynix chips?

PS> Sorry, I should have asked this before, but the EasyJTAG behavior matching your AllSocket made me not think about AllSocket specific issues (I just replaced my cap as soon as I got the reader and forgot about it).

upload_2020-5-26_15-40-28.png

Last edited:
Interesting. So the chip is not locked, but somehow now working. For your Allsocket SD reader, did you replace the C2 0.1uF capacitor with a 1uF, as per reported suggestion from AllSocket support, to make it work with SK Hynix chips?

PS> Sorry, I should have asked this before, but the EasyJTAG behavior matching your AllSocket made me not think about AllSocket specific issues (I just replaced my cap as soon as I got the reader and forgot about it).

View attachment 545054
Yes, I have done the capacitor swap. It seems there are more than that.

Interesting. So the chip is not locked, but somehow now working. For your Allsocket SD reader, did you replace the C2 0.1uF capacitor with a 1uF, as per reported suggestion from AllSocket support, to make it work with SK Hynix chips?

View attachment 545054
Also, I messaged the owner unofficial tesla tech. the capacitors size isn't quite right in his blog. The correct size is 0603. The new allsocket sd adapter comes with 1uF, no need to swap. This is from Amanda sales of AllSocket. She was helping me out. I am not sure why my EMMC didn't work, but I appreciate the support they provided. See screenshot below.

upload_2020-5-26_16-5-53.png

Also, I messaged the owner unofficial tesla tech. the capacitors size isn't quite right in his blog. The correct size is 0603. The new allsocket sd adapter comes with 1uF, no need to swap. This is from Amanda sales of AllSocket. She was helping me out. I am not sure why my EMMC didn't work, but I appreciate the support they provided. See screenshot below.

View attachment 545057
Good eye for detail, I never paid attention to the the cap size in the blog, just looked at the cap I took off and placed a 1uF of the same size. It seems from your reply that mine already was 1uF, but what's done is done, and it was real quick to swap (easy access).

Hi folks,

a sidenote to those who have a failed eMMC and (before the fail) a version < 2019.40 (I'm unsure of it had been already mentioned):
If you restore your data, also restore the file "/var/lib/usbutils/usd.ids" (it can be found in
"/usr/deploy/cid-var-files/lib/usbutils/usb.ids"), simply copy it. If you do not have the file in place, you will lose Bluetooth and Wifi connectivity when upgrading to a version >= 2019.40.

regards

eligs

Interesting. So the chip is not locked, but somehow now working. For your AllSocket SD reader, did you replace the C2 0.1uF capacitor with a 1uF, as per reported suggestion from AllSocket support, to make it work with SK Hynix chips?

View attachment 545054
whitex you are in violation of my copyright. Note that all my content is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike.

whitex you are in violation of my copyright. Note that all my content is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike.
Wrong. scaesare was attributed since he was the author (and he attributed AllSocket support for the response with the picture). You including someone else's work in your work does not grant you copyrights for said work, just like you quoting me above does not grant you copyright to it (or me quoting you does not give me the copyrights to it).

I attribute authors of work if I know them. For example, when I referenced one of your original work posts in another TMC reply, I attributed it to "Quantum" alias (presumably you, as you as rooter claimed to be Quantum few places) by including the alias and even the user icon, by simply including the picture of the entire post, like this:
rooter-quantum-hacked.jpg

Last edited:
Good eye for detail, I never paid attention to the the cap size in the blog, just looked at the cap I took off and placed a 1uF of the same size. It seems from your reply that mine already was 1uF, but what's done is done, and it was real quick to swap (easy access).

My latest update. The tesla tech I hired was not able to recover the data, either. It seems the data was corrupted already. I took my Tesla to service center yesterday. Here is something I learned from this attempt. Hopefully it will help other brave-hearted.
1. If doing on board tapping, make sure you don't wake up the nVidia Chip. The chip will corrupt the file. Therefore, on board reading is a one time, or couple time tries thing. The voltage needed to be exactly right. wake up the nvidia chip too many times, the emmc data is messed up.
2. chip off reading is good since no nvidia chip will mess up the data, but the high heat could likely damage the data. If you can safely remove the chip, you got as many tries as you wanted.
3. The safest way? (not saying other method like chip-on-board or chip-off won't work ) I think chip-on-board+disabling nvidia chip. Please check how to put a pull down resistor to disable nvidia chip. Then you can read the EMMC as many times as you want. I can validate that the 6 pins method photos in this thread is absolutely correct, just be careful with micro soldering. I was able to read the same information on board and chip-off. (just not the useful files)

Again not saying other ways won't work. I am sure so many people are able to get data safely, but in my case, Black screen already which means the emmc is already messed up, I learned the best way maybe #3. Totally hindsight, I know.

Wrong. scaesare was attributed since he was the author (and he attributed AllSocket support for the response with the picture). You including someone else's work in your work does not grant you copyrights for said work, just like you quoting me above does not grant you copyright to it (or me quoting you does not give me the copyrights to it).

I attribute authors of work if I know them. For example, when I referenced one of your original work posts in another TMC reply, I attributed it to "Quantum" alias (presumably you, as you as rooter claimed to be Quantum few places) by including the alias and even the user icon, by simply including the picture of the entire post, like this:
View attachment 546322
So, not only did you buy a house "from a rich developer who also happens to own a string of dealerships", and have "bought four Model S'" (although not a whitex), but you are also playing a lawyer on TV.

You are too politic to see it whitex, but it is my content and attribution is an open-source principle. Not to mention that it is the law. It looks like you're going to make me issue a takedown to TMC. Let them ban me for it.

Cool. Are you unofficial tesla tech's owner? Cool. We exchanged email through your blog before. Thanks for putting up the blog. It was very helpful and informative.
Indeed. Thank you, still working on it as I get time. Getting WireGuard running on the CID has turned into a real faff; I'm prob the only one who will go to this trouble for it, but IDC.

Last edited:
So, not only did you buy a house "from a rich developer who also happens to own a string of dealerships", and have "bought four Model S'" (although not a whitex), but you are also playing a lawyer on TV.

You are too politic to see it whitex, but it is my content and attribution is an open-source principle. Not to mention that it is the law. It looks like you're going to make me issue a takedown to TMC. Let them ban me for it.
Ok.

Ok DMCA Takedown Notice filed with Daniel. I had already reported your post twice, but no action was taken, interestingly. I guess Mods aren't concerned of the consequences, and this implies intent in a legal sense since they're the site's agents or employees.

It is always important to follow the law, whitex. This will mean a ding for you, so I recommend you not do it again.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: eligs