Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still on 2019.16.2 and refusing updates because I don’t want to lose range, especially since my range already sucks at 187k miles I can barely get 165 real world miles on a 100% charge. Can anyone suggest a canbus reader I can get off of amazon and point me to a cheat sheet on how to use it and what to look for? I want to be able to provide data here especially given that I’m one of the higher mileage early build cars.

Any eom327 bt dongle. But you need to make a special cable to plug obdii connector into diagnostic connector.

I don't think Tesla changed the calculation for rated miles in your car based on your last reported Scan My Tesla data.
Your nominal full pack which is used to calculate rated range showed 64.3 kWh. Your full rated range was given as 218 miles. By using the .295 multiplier you get 218 x .295 = 64.31 kWh, which exactly matches the nominal full pack number.
Using rated miles, your 217 miles would be a degradation of about 17.8%. But if you can only charge to 97%, you could argue that your true degradation is about 20%. Based on what they told you, you would be entitled to a replacement battery at around 208 miles range, which is about 21% degradation from the original 264 miles. That's a lot better than the 30% degradation number people often mention for the required replacement point. Are you sure that's what they meant? If so, you are already pretty close, and you will probably soon qualify for another battery.
Either they changed the nultiplier from 295 to 276 or they changed from usable battery to nominal battery and added 4kWh buffer back in.

• Disagree
Reactions: ran349
The is not correct. The reserve has never been included in the usable capacity and the useable capacity is the only non constant number used to calculate rated range.

For example, I just scanned this off another co-workers car 20 minutes ago:

i-mgHr9vw-X3.jpg

His full 100% charge shows 239 rated currently with his useable capacity at 70.6 kWh. This is exactly 295 wh / mile. In this case, this car has not been effected in any way by the update.
TMSpy does NOT show usable full pack.
You will also notice that the TMSpy SOC does not match the display except at >95%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190624-202829_TM-Spy.jpg
    Screenshot_20190624-202829_TM-Spy.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20190624-203041.jpg
    Screenshot_20190624-203041.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 60
The pack value in TM-Spy is the same as the nominal full pack value in Scan My Tesla. So @DJRas TM-Spy data would show this same thing, i.e., his rated miles x .295 would equal his TM-Spy pack voltage. And there is no question that his car has been affected.

If you look back at the two side by side screen shots form TM-SPY and scan my tesla you'll see they both state 74.4 kWh useable. TM-SPY doesn't show or include the 4 kWh anti brick buffer.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I'm still easily able to hit rated range on my P85DL. My total usable capacity has decreased from 77 kWh when nearly new to 74.4 kWh. My lifetime currently sits at 309 vs the 320 rated rated for the P85D. Also on nearly every trip, I'm 3 or 4% higher than the original estimate almost every time.

Also, based on the difference in capacity rather than displayed rated range, I've only lost 8.5 miles vs the displayed rated range saying 11 miles lost.

Waiting for @SmartElectric to correct my math and thumbs me down on accuracy. Oh well.
77.88 - 77.4 = 3.48

3.48 / 0.320 (rated for P85D) = 10.875 which is the 11 miles of lost range I have, not 8.5.

The is not correct. The reserve has never been included in the usable capacity and the useable capacity is the only non constant number used to calculate rated range.

For example, I just scanned this off another co-workers car 20 minutes ago:

i-mgHr9vw-X3.jpg

His full 100% charge shows 239 rated currently with his useable capacity at 70.6 kWh. This is exactly 295 wh / mile. In this case, this car has not been effected in any way by the update.
TMSpy does NOT show usable pack.
ScanMyTesla shows the same value as Nominal full pack and Usable 4kWh less.
Also TMSPY soc does not match the dash display percent

I don't think Tesla changed the calculation for rated miles in your car based on your last reported Scan My Tesla data.
Your nominal full pack which is used to calculate rated range showed 64.3 kWh. Your full rated range was given as 218 miles. By using the .295 multiplier you get 218 x .295 = 64.31 kWh, which exactly matches the nominal full pack number.
Using rated miles, your 217 miles would be a degradation of about 17.8%. But if you can only charge to 97%, you could argue that your true degradation is about 20%. Based on what they told you, you would be entitled to a replacement battery at around 208 miles range, which is about 21% degradation from the original 264 miles. That's a lot better than the 30% degradation number people often mention for the required replacement point. Are you sure that's what they meant? If so, you are already pretty close, and you will probably soon qualify for another battery.
Nominal full pack is NOT used to calculate rated range. It is Usable (removing the 4kWh buffer). 60 4

• Disagree
Reactions: ran349
TMSpy does NOT show usable pack.
ScanMyTesla shows the same value as Nominal full pack and Usable 4kWh less.
Also TMSPY soc does not match the dash display percent

I stand corrected. I just went back and looked back at the scan my tesla screen shot and it shows 70.4, not 74.4. The problem is that TM-SPY showed nearly 78 when my car was new and now shows 74.4 which is the 11 miles of lost rated range based on the 320 wh / mile of the P85D.

...and now it all makes sense. If your useable is really 64.3 and not 60.3, then your rated range would be 217.9 miles which is what your car actually says and you are NOT out of the 10% bounds of normal that Tesla claims you need to be.