Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said... with my now being REQUIRED to SuC twice per day for my commute that I would likely qualify soon.
Also hinted that "stressing the battery" might accelerate that too.
So... Jack-Rabbit starts and charging to 97% seem to be in my future.
The problem is your 97% now is probably below the true 90% and takes much longer to charge to that range.

Reactions: DJRas
I’d posit that it’s an all-or-nothing deal. They can’t restrict the max voltage on some modules or groups of cells because that would cause the pack to be grossly unbalanced.
Is the Tesla BMS able to isolate strings of cells? Looks like the organization is 74 in parallel, then 6 in serial within a module - if you knock out a string, you reduce the maximum voltage by 4.2 volts, but if that lets you increase the maximum voltage per cell from, say, 4.15 to 4.2, you come out ahead. (But, that requires being able to isolate strings.)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The pack value in TM-Spy is the same as the nominal full pack value in Scan My Tesla. So @DJRas TM-Spy data would show this same thing, i.e., his rated miles x .295 would equal his TM-Spy pack voltage. And there is no question that his car has been affected.
The 295 multiplier is related to USABLE... NOT nominal.
REMEMBER... Original "85kWh" was actually 81kWh with 77.88 USABLE 77.88/0.295=264 rated range

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I’m still on 2019.16.2 and refusing updates because I don’t want to lose range, especially since my range already sucks at 187k miles I can barely get 165 real world miles on a 100% charge. Can anyone suggest a canbus reader I can get off of amazon and point me to a cheat sheet on how to use it and what to look for? I want to be able to provide data here especially given that I’m one of the higher mileage early build cars.
All of the range loss occurred with 16.2. The later ones have been adjust charging algorithms and will likely REDUCE the chance of damaging your battery.
I have just finished installing 2019.24.2 in hopes they restore some of my range.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap and neroden
Your own numbers say different: Nominal full pack = 64.3 kWh. Rated miles = 218. Then, 64.3/218 = .295.
All the scan my tesla data I have seen shows the same calculation.
ScanMyTesla data shows Rated miles and SOC which match you dash displayed numbers.
Those are calculated from USABLE kWh not NORMAL.
SOC UI is what TMSPY displays and ScanMyTesla says SOC UI is not used.
MY numbers show the constant changed.. Usable 60.4/218=0.277 (~0.276 since we don't have enough significan digits in our calculations to be accurate to 3 decimal places).
I came up with the 0.276 by using multiple points along the USABLE Remaining divided by rated miles.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ran349
They won’t let you keep it. Exchange or nothing. weather your paying for it or it’s warranty. Doesn’t matter. Now you may have legal case to keep your old battery if they forget to tell you they keep it as a core.

All cores have a charge associated with them if you opt to not return the used part. Sure they could say the core charge is $20k, but they have to set that price.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
UPDATE:
I just finished having my battery tested at Oceanside Service Center.
As expected they said that my battery does not fit the criteria for replacement.
The test is HV Battery Capacity (looking at Charge Amperage Capacity?).
My battery is version 41 (41 is the number they used... but they didn't call it version).
Original rated range for this pack was 264 miles at 295Wh/mi (77.88 kWh usable capacity).
A battery with my age/mileage should have a capacity of 231 miles (Fleet-wide average).
IF my battery is <90% of that window they can replace my battery under warranty.
With my 217 mile rated range that is 93.9% therefore... no warranty replacement.
BUT, the currently reported 217 mile rated range is NOW based on 276 Wh/mi (Which they saw while looking at my recent drives).
IF we use the 295 Wh/mi calculation for rated range my current max range is 204 miles - 88.3% of nominal.
ALSO, with rev 2019.20.2.1 the most I can charge to is 97% or 210 miles (@276 Wh/mi) thus 90.9% of nominal.
At 295 Wh/mi my 97% range is only 196 miles or 85% of nominal.

I will be returning this afternoon to discuss this information with the technician

Additionally, The official Tesla stance is "These changes are meant to increase battery longevity. NOT related to the fires".
When confronted with my stance that they are software degrading MY battery to keep it from degrading on its own...
They said "yeah... that seems wrong" and "Tesla will likely look closed at the new data they gather after this update and will "likely" revise the algorithm and POSSIBLY restore some of our range to those of us affected

Also, my battery reported a BMS error "Battery_Brick_Limited (hidden)". They did not explain that well. Just that it was "not critical to battery usage" and "NOT covered under warranty"

The Service Manager and the Technician really seemed to care about my concerns and they WANT to replace my battery. But until they can go to engineering with an "Out of normal condition" their hands are tied.

They also did verify that I COULD buy a replacement battery (for about $20,000 installed).

Oh Yeah!!! while I was there they replaced my recalled air bag!

This is on my monroney:

85 kWh Battery $10,000
Fuel Economy
89 MPGe
City = 88
Highway = 90
kW-hrs per 100 miles = 38
Driving Range = 265 miles

So,
1) I did pay $10,000 for the 85kWh
2) The wh/mile on the sticker is (38/100)x1000=380 wh/mi

Not sure how they got 265 driving range based on 380 wh/mi? Furthermore, even tough we know the basis for the 295 wh/mi value discussed here there is no official wording about 295 wh/mi on the sticker itself.

I think there are 5 years of charging habits that ultimately lead that "sudden loss"

The sudden range loss (with the emphasis on the word sudden) is the result of a software update. Since Tesla is mute on it's findings, there is no evidence to suggest my "sudden" range loss is due to my 4 years of "charging habits".

I think that the sudden loss is essentially a diagnoses of and treatment for a problem that developed gradually over time.

And the Tesla's BMS failed to detect it much earlier and to take corrective action before the damage done and deciding to drop my range by 30 miles?

Maybe they (Telsa) are just doing their best to protect consumers and keep batteries safe in spite of some possible misuse and degradation.

"in spite of some possible misuse"?

Many impacted owners, and per their posts here, have their cars tested by Tesla after the software induced sudden range loss. Tesla has told them their batteries are just fine and the loss is normal. For example, this is what Tesla has told me:

"reviewed your cars data to ensure there are no other issues that are occurring with your battery or the charging system and everything is working as it should."

So, when there no evidence that Tesla itself is pointing to any misuse of the batteries by the owners, why should you?

Reactions: DJRas
I really appreciate this thread and feel like I have learned a lot from reading it. Additionally, I appreciate that most of you bought cars from Tesla quite a few years ago and thereby helped a very important company, one that could tangibly influence global warming, to grow and thrive. In my view, you are people who deserve a lot a respect.

I don't think you have a warranty case here. The batteries are presumably not unsafe, and the total loss of range over the last 5 years or so, as I understand it, is not sufficient to justify a warranty replacement. Whether the loss of range was sudden or gradual, and just recently diagnosed and addressed: I don't see how that matters.

Presumably most, or all, of you have batteries with pure carbon anodes and these batteries are more susceptible to Li plating at the anode than post 2016 batteries are. The technology has improved and Tesla has been on the forefront of that. I don't see any negligence on Tesla's part. They sold the best batteries they could in 2015 and they are doing so now. If Tesla were to replace some batteries, that could tend to encourage other owners of older model S cars to try to cross some threshold and get $10,000 to $20,000 of new battery in their 5 year old cars. That doesn't seem like a good plan for Tesla either in terms of the $$ outlay, the time commitment or the pubic perception and distortions that would inevitably follow.

So, when there no evidence that Tesla itself is pointing to any misuse of the batteries by the owners, why should you?
I see your point and I apologize for using the word "misuse". Maybe I could have said:
"in spite of some possible charging practices that, in retrospect, seem less than ideal".
and maybe charging practices are completely irrelevant? I was just wondering and hoping to find out more about why some older Model S cars with pure carbon anodes have this issue and others apparently do not.

Reactions: neroden