Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That confirms it's a hardware fault and we should just let Tesla fix it. I would prefer a 1 day inconvenience to a permanent inconvenience and permanent devaluation of the car over what is a hardware warranty repair issue.

Since the software work around is their way of not fixing it, we are better off not updating. Either we are never permanently inconvenienced by the voltage limitations, or we are briefly inconvenienced by a failure that brings us back to full voltage. The worst possible outcome from all of these options is to update and be forever harmed by Tesla's refusal to repair warranty covered parts.

As long as it isn't a safety issue, the smart choice is to skip the update and keep the car functional as originally delivered.

That confirms it's a hardware fault and we should just let Tesla fix it. I would prefer a 1 day inconvenience to a permanent inconvenience and permanent devaluation of the car over what is a hardware warranty repair issue.

Since the software work around is their way of not fixing it, we are better off not updating. Either we are never permanently inconvenienced by the voltage limitations, or we are briefly inconvenienced by a failure that brings us back to full voltage. The worst possible outcome from all of these options is to update and be forever harmed by Tesla's refusal to repair warranty covered parts.

As long as it isn't a safety issue, the smart choice is to skip the update and keep the car functional as originally delivered.
I'm glad I stopped typing and updated the page, because I couldn't have stated things better. Based purely on the info we have, it is surely better not to update.

So I’m a nutshell, the limited cars have a bad module, which is going to pull the rest of the pack down with it. Tesla doesn’t really want to warranty the packs(although they have in the past for this issue or a similar issue), thus this is a warranty obligation dodge. A bad module is a warranty issue, and not degradation, any way you slice it.

BTW, this similar thing happened with the high mileage Roadsters, one sheet pulled the pack down, and downhill it went.

Since we don't know what the issue is that is detected we don't really know. If the problem is excessive degradation in a single module then that isn't a warranty issue, as degradation isn't covered. If the issue is that too many cells have blown their bonding fuse in a single module then I would think that is a failure that should be covered under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and bhzmark
If you have the issue, my understanding at this point is that you'll likely at least temporarily lose range during detection and correction anyway, even if a better fix is released at a later time.

I'm probably reading something in to this statement that wasn't meant to be there, but this makes it sound like a new fix could potentially detect the issue, cap the range, and then perform some maintenance on the module/pack to reduce/minimize the issue thus returning most, if not all, of the range that was capped right after detection.

If it IS a safety issue Tesla is guilty of some very serious crimes covering it up and I suddenly understand why you're unwilling to involve yourself in the coming storm. It's going to be a bloodbath if there are safety issues recalls being covered up here. Perhaps literally, definitely legally.

But given the information we have - tesla has told me personally that this is not a safety issue - there is no reason to update. If it was a safety issue, they would be legally required to inform me and all owners.

I So the day to day effect is less restrictive for me than for others that are affected. But in terms of strain on the battery it looks to me that it’s pretty much the same as it has always been. So I’m struggling to see how this new operating regime, which changes very little in the way I have always used it, 'fixes' my battery. As you can see, by not knowing the real issue it makes it very difficult to make any useful or meaningful decisions.

That is not correct. You forget that charging time to reach previous limit is almost double what it used to be. The car is NO LONGER viable for long trips !!

For charging is it taking sometimes two hours for you to charge from 20-90% like DJRass at a Super Charger? i can deal with the loss of range for now waiting for a fix but waiting two hours to charge is too long.
It takes ONE hour at the SC to go from 15 to 90%. 2.5 hours to get from 15 to 100%.
I am sorry for any misunderstanding.

Don't pick on him, if I'm reading between the lines correctly here he has stepped away because Tesla may be involved in some serious crimes and he doesn't want to get pulled into their federal investigations. He's given us hints without getting involved in what may be bigger than dieselgate .

Either it's not a safety issue and they're just guilty of some thefts and warranty dodging, or it's a safety issue and they're guilty of covering up potentially fatal flaws to avoid recall expenses.

We have been told it's not a safety issue by Tesla. Unless they're criminally homicidal in covering up the dangers they've denied, that means anyone that hasn't updated is safe to continue to skip the update forever - and is smart to do so. If it is determined to be a safety issue, they will contact us with the normal legally required recall notices like we got from our potentially fatal airbag safety issues.

Don't pick on him, if I'm reading between the lines correctly here he has stepped away because Tesla may be involved in some serious crimes and he doesn't want to get pulled into their federal investigations. He's given us hints without getting involved in what may be bigger than dieselgate .

Either it's not a safety issue and they're just guilty of some thefts and warranty dodging, or it's a safety issue and they're guilty of covering up potentially fatal flaws to avoid recall expenses.

We have been told it's not a safety issue by Tesla. Unless they're criminally homicidal in covering up the dangers they've denied, that means anyone that hasn't updated is safe to continue to skip the update forever - and is smart to do so. If it is determined to be a safety issue, they will contact us with the normal legally required recall notices like we got from our potentially fatal airbag safety issues.
Indeed. His last message had a few words but said a lot (I think). If I'm right, thank you @wk057, and I understand your reticence on this issue.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Chaserr
Because if a pack is “A ok” there is no need for any limits. Furthermore, a pack with a bad module, is absolutely more likely to have problems.

The only “fix” for a faulty part, is to replace that faulty part.

I think you're missing that I specifically mentioned packs that have the range loss capacity cap... I said nothing about ones that did not install the update.

That's still not a safety issue. Tesla can't dodge safety repairs by hoping everyone updates, and they certainly can't lie about it like they have in public statements on this issue. It's only a safety issue if Tesla is lying and avoiding the proper recall / notification process. They would at t he least issue a TSB for something if there were any concerns.

yes.

No that's not remotely what he said. And the conclusion doesn't remotely follow from the (false) premise.

Unfortunately, you are back again. Based on your posting history in this thread, you have been very hostile, and at the time even vulgar, to the impacted owners, who wish you spend your energy elsewhere. Still can't understand your attraction to this thread. Just to remind you, this thread started to be cleaner after you disappeared for while.