Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging at a Supercharger starting at 34% SoC.

This is my 100% SoC battery info. Average cells peaked at a capped 4.099 volts. Only 5mV difference across the pack. Charged to 100% then let settle for a few minutes after charge completion and no load.

By the way, took 59 minutes to go from 34% SoC to 90%. Then took a further 1 hour and 17 minutes (2hrs 16mins total), to go from 90% SoC to 100%.

Just dug out the original web page advert from Tesla back in 2015/16 that said 0% SoC to 80% in 40 minutes, with total time to 100% SoC being only 75 minutes. So over an hour more if those advertised timings are to be believed.

Oh .. and my own dumb fault, but got a £60 parking ticket as forgot the SuC was in a motorway services area where the parking limit is only 2 hours .. doh ..

Looking for charts at lower socs which will show weak strings.

Does anyone effected by 16.1 range reduction have any week strings similar to my 58 when scanned with tm-spy?

I guess I should have been clear rather than let folks interpret my request from the graph.

Mv differences showing weak strings will be almost non existent when fully charged. The lower the soc, the larger the spread will be. Normal at 30% is about 5v.

I just found this thread. I've been having this battery capping issue for months now, and I started noticing it right after the summer break because the route for my son's school was always the same every morning. He started going back to school, and my charging frequency started going up and my range down. Less range and it felt like less power too. My route was always the same for the past 2 years, and I knew something was off.

I never imagined Tesla would cap the battery though. I'm on a P85+, I just had a 90% charge, and I drove conservatively @60mph freeway with slow acceleration, to test if it was my driving was causing the problem. I got 162.8 miles with 8% left with an average of 307 Wh/mi.

Man, this is pretty frustrating to hear that Tesla was the root cause. I've added a NHTSA complaint, and hopefully Tesla will make it right.

Here are a couple of my pack deltas

upload_2019-11-25_17-46-40.png

They just sent me another text saying they won't diagnose my car unless I update the firmware first.

Honestly now, could there be a direct connection between your statements on this thread / TMC, and Tesla's 'demand' that you update the FM?

Refusing to update may be used as an argument against honoring the warranty on your battery, but contractually they cannot force you, can they?

Honestly now, could there be a direct connection between your statements on this thread / TMC, and Tesla's 'demand' that you update the FM?

Refusing to update may be used as an argument against honoring the warranty on your battery, but contractually they cannot force you, can they?
They CANNOT legally require software updates for warranty coverage.

They just sent me another text saying they won't diagnose my car unless I update the firmware first.
When I mentioned the significant increase in Vampire drain, they told me they 'couldn't' pull the logs unless the car was on the latest version of software. Really!?!

Apparently when they pulled the logs the last time, on the same version, it was something of a miracle.

FE428FED-6302-48D1-802E-F12D09B7BCB6.png
Don’t the newer warranties have that exact clause though? I think my Model 3 warranty says that. Guess Tesla has “learned” from these older cars, since the old warranties don’t say that.
The Warranty was updated to include that owners had to update else it would invalidate the Warranty. However the Warranty that was extant at the time we (batterygate affected owners) all bought our cars did not say that.