Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 481507
The Warranty was updated to include that owners had to update else it would invalidate the Warranty. However the Warranty that was extant at the time we (batterygate affected owners) all bought our cars did not say that.
3hlbc7.jpg

When I mentioned the significant increase in Vampire drain, they told me they 'couldn't' pull the logs unless the car was on the latest version of software. Really!?!

Apparently when they pulled the logs the last time, on the same version, it was something of a miracle.

It's discouraging how much BS and lies come out of Tesla's service centers.

It’s like anything really. Look at Louis Rossmann call Apple authorized repair facilities about repairs. They don’t give the service facilities much to go on and sometimes techs just pull stuff out of thin air. Thankfully my service center has been straight up so far, but I don’t really get in depth with them either.

Reactions: Droschke
So Tesla just texted me and asked me to update my "very old" firmware first.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if I were to do that the battery message would disappear and the current condition would be treated as normal but with reduced range, power, and charging.
I have a feeling they found a way to insert an ominous sounding fake alert to try and get you to update without just admitting they're afraid you aren't complying with their secret recall attempts. Block them and drive it forever unless they can tell you exactly why you should bring it in. Updating won't fix a battery, they just tipped their hand telling you a forced update is all they want.

View attachment 481507
The Warranty was updated to include that owners had to update else it would invalidate the Warranty. However the Warranty that was extant at the time we (batterygate affected owners) all bought our cars did not say that.
I don't think the new terms will stand in court either.. They have an established blacklist - several different forms of black lists actually - to officially stop owners from updating for various reasons. That means they have already created the means to deny every Model 3 owner's warranty whenever they want under those terms if they are legally allowable. If a software version is so bad it invalidates the warranty, it's Tesla's fault for releasing that software version in the first place and the repair bill for any damages their software causes are on them. I don't envy the first person that has to fight that battle in court, it won't be fun but I think most of us here have learned to mistrust Tesla enough to believe eventually it will happen.

I am generally not pleased with Tesla's handling of all this, but everything does not have to be an Area 51 conspiracy. Regarding the request made to @sorka, it might simply be that their current tools are not compatible with software that old and there may be legitimate bug fixes implemented along the way that may address the possible issue.

I am generally not pleased with Tesla's handling of all this, but everything does not have to be an Area 51 conspiracy. Regarding the request made to @sorka, it might simply be that their current tools are not compatible with software that old and there may be legitimate bug fixes implemented along the way that may address the possible issue.
You realize V8 was the current release only 13 months ago? Is it possible that in a little over a year, Tesla completely replaced their tools and removed all support for older versions? Note that California Civil Code requires a 7-year support period for electronics.

The other explanation is more plausible: there has been lots of incremental change over that time, and the issue may have been fixed. The most efficient path is to get you on the latest version first, and then investigate further only if you are still experiencing the problem.

Last edited:
It's discouraging how much BS and lies come out of Tesla's service centers.

Gee, everything old is new again. Some of us are old enough to remember the unsavory "service stations" at locations like Needles, Baker, Blythe, Barstow, and other points across the desert and Great Basin. You'd pull in with the wife and kids in your '52 Plymouth and the attendant would pop the hood, check the oil and water levels before coming up to Dad to say that one of the V-belts was splitting. Or maybe there was a crack in one of the radiator hoses--whatever, more times than not they were scamming the passersby with the attendant fear that their car would break down in the desert. So, the mechanic swindles $25 out of the tourists for an unnecessary repair. Often the mechanic would intentionally damage the part he suggested replacing.

I wonder if there is any way for a computer expert to dissect the computer instruction lines in the program to determine just how the instructions work. Or perhaps Tesla is shrewd and clever and has these instructions buried so deeply and concealed so well that no one would ever be able to know exactly what the instructions are, how they are initiated, and when they are initiated.

Reactions: Droschke
So my 2014 S85 just announced a new update, 2019.36.2.7

Anyone know what this is about? Any chance this is addressing the supercharging or battery cap issues? Or making it worse? I expect the Tesla update notes to be the usual obtuse "fixing bugs".

I installed it today. My release notes, for the lsat few updates, have been showing up blank due to a completely broken browser (it's also a complete blank page). No change as it applies to the issue discussed under this thread though (none is expected anyway). Tesla needs to either email the release notes to us or post it somewhere else. It's wonderful, isn't it!

But, read this in meanwhile.

Reactions: Chaserr

The current version of toolbox works much farther back than V8.

I'm new to this rodeo. I was just told on the phone yesterday by Tesla service rep that Tesla may have capped and throttled my 90D during the last two updates. he didn't use those words, he said they may have lowered everything to extend battery longevity and health. Charging went from about 110 kwh to hi 60s low 70s tops. Miles went to 266 at 100% from 277 at 90%. It was pretty quick. Without having to read all the previous pages what do I do next?

I'm new to this rodeo. I was just told on the phone yesterday by Tesla service rep that Tesla may have capped and throttled my 90D during the last two updates. he didn't use those words, he said they may have lowered everything to extend battery longevity and health. Charging went from about 110 kwh to hi 60s low 70s tops. Miles went to 266 at 100% from 277 at 90%. It was pretty quick. Without having to read all the previous pages what do I do next?

I guess you should get pissed at Tesla, join the class action suit and push and hope for a new uncapped battery.

Reactions: DJRas
Interesting that the 90 packs are also being affected.
I wonder how long it will be until 100 packs get the works?

I agree Tesla had been messing with the range calculation and charging speeds. Another thing I've noticed is the efficiency has deteriorated (summer and winter) in the 3 years I've had my 2016 90d. That could be because the battery is being conditioned more carefully but the effect is to make it look like my range has not dropped much (I get 286 miles @ 100% with 27k miles). I suspect my true battery degradation is much greater. I haven't been on any long trips recently so I'm not sure of the range/ efficiency for certain, but I'm guessing I'm not going to get the actual 286 miles under ideal conditions. Has anyone else noticed this?

You should figure out if you were actually capped before assuming so that you know for sure. Best way is to get cables and scan my Tesla app but see the first post of this thread for more information on how to figure out if you are capped.

You should figure out if you were actually capped before assuming so that you know for sure. Best way is to get cables and scan my Tesla app but see the first post of this thread for more information on how to figure out if you are capped.
Okay, I see in the first post that the class action refers to pre-facelift 85s and below. Mine is a facelifted 90. Does this mean I need to start a whole new class action since it would have occurred with the version 10 updates? Maybe a new thread?

Doing the calculations from the first post using the average x projected / state-of-charge / 1000 I came up with 74.598. Do I now own a 75D? 16.7% degradation? Seems excessive after three and a half years. Especially when it happened so quickly and immediately, although it is cold here now - 50 degrees during last supercharg. But I bought it in March and picked it up with 277mi at 90%.

Also what are these cables you refer to please?

Last edited: