Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's strong evidence against my theory of hack. While I admit I may be wrong, I don't want to stop competent people from investigating hack potential. @wk057, for pedantic's sake, is the brake pedal physically linked to those brakes, or is there a computer interruptable link in the brakes?

I believe no computer, so even if you remove all batteries and electronics, it'd still do something. I assume there's power assist but still for brakes completely go out would require serious mechanical problem.

The brake pedal requires no computers or power to function. Give it a shot. Put your Model S in tow mode, then disconnect the 12V power and pull the first-responder loop to kill the car. Press the brake, try to roll the car. Will obviously take a bit more force to get high braking power without the power assist, but it's basically similar to power steering. You can still steer without power, it's just more difficult.

No hack can prevent the brakes from working, really. Worst a hack could do is make braking difficult (cut power), brake suddenly (call for braking), or otherwise make braking easier or more touchy or something. No way to prevent braking.

There's been designs using similar systems where the system has the ability to bypass the brakes to make the brake pedal call for regen or other drive-by-wire type braking, but a) this is not in Tesla vehicles, b) doesn't have DOT approval (last I knew anyway).

This is true as long as the brakes and braking system are sized responsibly. Generally, any even semi-maintained stock car should be fine, and any reasonably built modified car too.

If you upgrade some heavy 300hp car that came OEM with serviceable but not track ready brakes to 1000hp and neglect the brakes and try hitting both pedals at full speed, you're probably going to have a bad day though.

I've seen some nearly out of control vehicles due to brake fade on abused OEM pads that were never meant for aggressive driving... much as your clutch can become useless if it's already on it's last legs and you get it overheated. Having your clutch slip when trying to start a steep uphill from a stop light to the point that you're doing 3000 RPM or more as you're trying to start at a normal pace is no fun...

Anyways, my original point wasn't that an OEM vehicle (especially properly maintained) should ever end up in a situation where you could overpower the brakes, but that it isn't impossible to end up in a scenario where a vehicle might overpower the brakes.

I certainly don't think it plausible that any unmodified Tesla, bad shape or not, could overpower the brakes in the general case. I was just trying to point out since others had said it wasn't possible that it can be possible in certain scenarios, let's not forget the guy who took his stock 3 to the track and after a few laps had cooked the brakes so badly he could barely make it into the pit safely. Extraordinary circumstances and entirely outside any expected scenario for the car, but ...

Is it only me or is there generally a greater force needed on our M3's to stop? My Infiniti has one of the most agressive brakes in any cars I have driven. They BITE!

I also suspect that given the car is so new (1100 miles) and very few instances of braking needed due to regen, its possible that brakes might need a lot more force to stop the car given they have not been burnished properly.

There's been designs using similar systems where the system has the ability to bypass the brakes to make the brake pedal call for regen or other drive-by-wire type braking, but a) this is not in Tesla vehicles, b) doesn't have DOT approval (last I knew anyway).

Hmm..that's an interesting thought. This way one does not confuse an accelerator to be a brake and yet get the best of both worlds i.e. regen while braking and not confusing ones gray cells to think that I am on the brakes when you might be pressing the throttle.

I disagree. I suspect that there is an unsolved hack problem. These could be people that foreign countries that have hacking resources could want offed.

I agree. I believe that is one common source for this problem.

See what I did there? I have an opinion that considers multiple possibilities, and has concluded that both are possible at the same time across a large data set (even though more likely for each instance only one of those are true at a time).

That's strong evidence against my theory of hack. While I admit I may be wrong, I don't want to stop competent people from investigating hack potential. @wk057, for pedantic's sake, is the brake pedal physically linked to those brakes, or is there a computer interruptable link in the brakes?

Till now, I have been working on two possibilities with their probabilities -
1. Driver error (waiting for Tesla logs and wife maintains what she went through): 99%
2. Code defect (no way of knowing and forum members pooh-pooing the idea that this is even possible): 1%

What if that 1% code defect could be hypothesized as a potential hack? It's doable and possible as has been shown many times on other cars.

Go read up details on SUA filed on S and X on NHTSA website where people are claiming they did not touch the accelerator pedal and the car accelerated suddenly. As I said earlier “pedal” is only part of the equation, which might execute few lines of code, there are thousands other that are conditional execution based on what the software thinks it wants to do.
Except, in most cases, driver claims to be pushing on brakes.
Is it only me or is there generally a greater force needed on our M3's to stop? My Infiniti has one of the most agressive brakes in any cars I have driven. They BITE!

I also suspect that given the car is so new (1100 miles) and very few instances of braking needed due to regen, its possible that brakes might need a lot more force to stop the car given they have not been burnished properly.

I think it may be related to the vehicle weight & its performance. An EV feels very zippy, well beyond most ICE cars. But they do weigh a lot. The weight makes the car harder to stop via brakes or handle on traction limited surfaces.

wk057 already explained that it's impossible for any kind of software failure/hack/etc to prevent braking from working, at worst you just lose power assist (like in an ICE that runs out of gas or otherwise has the engine die). So again, if truly the brakes were being mashed, the car would have been slowing not accelerating.

As for brake feel, the infiniti has sportier brakes by default I'm sure, since being sporty is part of their brand image. The regular Model 3 is not expected to need sporty braking. If you had a Performance Model 3 I'm sure the braking experience would be much more aggressive.

The Model 3 brakes are built to be "good enough" and also to last a very, very long time, as under normal circumstances most of the energy will be removed by regenerative braking. Personally, upgrading the pads to something a bit more aggressive (but still streetable and functional when cold) will be something I'll look to doing, because I like having aggressive braking available. If I have to replace the pads every couple of years versus never, no big deal.

Seems to me many drivers actually like crappy unresponsive mushy brakes, otherwise Toyota wouldn't be known for that. But there's a market for snappy brakes too.

For everyone that didn't read the whole thread and needs to catch up ...

Today while out for shopping my wife met with an accident in the parking lot of a grocery ...The vehicle was in the parking space position when it suddenly accelerated without any input from her.

I know there are several cases registered with NHTSA and I even found class action lawsuit against Tesla regarding sudden or unintended acceleration, I feel mine is the first case of a Model 3 with behavior that has been seen with S or X several times. What is surprising that EVERY instance of this case has pointed to driver error. I find it ridiculous to dismiss people reporting a serious security flaw with a vehicle to saying - the logs show 100% accelerator press by the driver as the car will NOT do ANYTHING the driver does not intend for it to do. Then how do you explain an individual's reaction to STOMP on the wrong pedal while they are trying to ease into a parking spot?? - it is illogical and irrational to ever surmise that a driver's who's so familiar with the concept of regen braking will press the (wrong) pedal so hard that the car would suddenly accelerate like crazy.

What she went through today is very disconcerting and unsettling. My confidence in cutting edge technology is shaken that helps Tesla to beat other automakers in making technologically forward vehicles. I have been a software professional my entire career and can understand bugs / glitches in the Software. It is one thing to not be able to control volume of the radio of my car (as it happened last night while driving from our friend's house, the left scroll button kept moving the steering wheel even though the option was not enabled), it scary to even think of the car doing what it did! The consequences could have been catastrophic. I am thankful that she is safe as there was the wall protecting her from cross traffic on the main street.

My wife's car was in an accident. It crashed into a curb and a dumpster. It might have been her fault but because there have been other Tesla's that have had the same thing happen, I'm blaming the car.

What I find peculiar in most of the reported incidents is that they happened when you are about to park. It is odd to think that a driver whose familiar with an electric car's automatic slowing while regen braking would suddenly apply full pressure to the "brake pedal" to slow the car from 2-5 mph to zero.
More specifically, I'm blaming the part of the software that is in effect in parking spaces.

What bothers me is that both myself and my wife have over 20+ yrs of driving experience in several cars. We both are in SW engineering and understand technology fairly well and its limitations, however we are baffled by the behavior we saw with our car. If pedal misapplication is so common, why did it not happen to either of us in other cars - EVER?
We've both driven a lot so this couldn't possibly have been the drivers fault since it has never happened before.

If we are to refute every single claim of misapplication, could there be a design flaw in the pedal geometry that might cause a user error despite their muscle memory? All the drivers instinctively let go or ease off the accelerator pedal when approaching a stop to prepare to press the brakes. The pedals are designed differently to allow your feet to "feel" what pedal is being pressed. It's crazy to think that your brain forgot a pedal feel just by driving an electric car with its eccentricities.
Maybe it wasn't the software, it may have been the physical pedals being designed wrong.

I do sincerely hope that it is not the car but a human error, however I also cannot completely trust the technology. If there's an iota of truth to the SUA theory in any of the cases reported, regardless of manufacturers, I hope engineers are able to fix the root cause so that we can go enjoy driving without worrying about the safest cars becoming our own enemy.

If anyone here has details on how these modern day throttle pedals work in a Tesla or other cars, please share.
I really hope it was my wife's fault (not really), but I'm still going to blame the car. Oh, and can anyone supply some information so that I can look like I'm being fair, but I'll ignore it anyway.

AZRED - you and I are as much Tesla fanboys as any other on this forum. I have been a Tesla shareholders since the stock was $22.

For me safety of my family and friends is paramount - no matter what. As I said in my earlier post, if there's a slightest chance this is not a result of a human error, then we owe ourselves to get educated on the root cause and find the circumstances that lead to such behavior. No one here on the forum can guarantee me that Tesla or any other company has worked ALL the bugs out of their firmware and there can be NO CORNER CASES that might result in the car misbehaving.
I'm saying I'm a shareholder so everything I write is, of course, completely unbiased. But, since there is not a 100% chance that this was human error, I'm still blaming the car.

I have discussed with my wife multiple times since the incident to recall if she was in any duress, pre-occupied, on the phone, listening to loud music, health issues etc. etc. She's maintains her position about being fully and situationally aware of her and the car's role when parking and can recall up to the point within the parking spot when she says the car suddenly accelerated ...

As I posted on my original thread, the car has about 1100 miles - loosely translated this equates to between 150 - 200 parking events from home, work, visiting friends, errands etc. Majority of the events executed by her.

99% of my logical brain wants to believe the pedal misapplication theory but that 1% human emotional brain still argues - what if it were the machine?

Tesla has reached out for pics of the car / event - hope they are objective, unbiased and completely transparent in their analysis.

I'll take a bruised ego any day over a design flaw.
My wife still says it wasn't her fault. She has parked the car a lot so, of course, couldn't have made a mistake. I sent Tesla pictures of the car, I think they're going to lie about what happened.

I'd hypothesize that the rate of SUA is greater in Tesla's than regular ICE cars though NHTSA's claim is 16000 per year for pedal misapplication.

If it's found that battery regen is behind the reason why Teslas are more susceptible to a driver pressing the wrong pedal, then something needs to be done to change the design as it is a flaw. Hundreds of NHTSA cases on Teslas with people wrapping their cars around trees, houses, walls, and other cars is not something to be trivialized despite what the majority of the forum might be saying. A value of human life is far greater than any technology - no matter how cool it might be. And it's a simple fix - turn off regen completely by default. Allow a driver to change the setting by accepting a liability waiver similar to Autopilot.

Here's another eerily similar example here in AZ that happened on Friday as well - a fluke you say???? -

Sudden Unintended Acceleration
Tesla have this happen more often than others because of regenerative braking. See, something similar happened to someone else .. it must be the car.

And I bet this will continue until we either change Driver behavior or find what’s really causing these misinterpreted pedals and clear the gremlins in our brains or the car. Why do we not see that there’s a pattern and there might be a burden or responsibility that has to be shared between drivers and car manufacturers?
I'm going to say it might be driver error, but, in the same sentence, I'll strongly imply that it really isn't and that there is some hidden "real" cause.

... has anyone here have looked at cross referencing what the ECU did vs. what the ACTUAL PHYSICAL pedal position was? Given all throttles are wired, a user does not need to press a pedal in order to control the accelerator - it is merely used as another input for driving a car.

Case in point - when we engage AP, we are not touching the accelerator or the brake and the pedals are not moving PHYSICALLY while the car drives on its own, slows down and speeds up.

What if there are declarations of global variables that when initiated contain incorrect value and when certain conditions are met, are called by a subroutine resulting in incorrect data being send to the vehicles ECU resulting in erroneous behavior?

Do we have anyone on the forum who's done embedded programming for cars who can chime in? Also I do not know if Tesla uses MISRA guidelines and if they do - what SIL level have they adopted?
I'm saying it really is the car now since there are things in the car that really do control acceleration without driver input, it must have been one of those that did it. I'll toss out some programming lingo and, again, ask for input that I'll discount as not being certain enough.

I can understand that the physical pedal did not have a malfunction in its operation i.e. no spring jam, no lockup etc. and also the way the HW processor redundancy eliminates false positives when it does not agree with current signal from the throttle.

What we don't know is what you called out in your thread regarding the lack of code access to know what and how Tesla has implemented it's SW and what HW is being used to control the vehicle operation? ...There's a significant amount of black hole when it comes to knowing how the AP algorithms interface with vehicle operation algos.

This issue aside - some folks here have reported that the car suddenly decelerated or shifted lanes while operating on AP. Hence, any undesirable outcome from a HW/SW control should be investigated.
It probably wasn't the physical pedal. It was most likely a software control of a piece of hardware that did it. Since other people have reported problems with auto pilot doing strange things I'll surmise that that is he cause.

Complaint has already been filed with NHTSA. I am not hopeful anything would come out of it as they, just like some members here, are sick and tired of hearing the same saga over and over.

And yes Tesla, if not for hubris, can help fix whatever is wrong with a SW download. I have not heard from them but I expect the same boilerplate rhetoric - wrong pedal pressed, car accelerated, $hit happened, move on.
I filed a complaint with government but I expect both them and Tesla to tell me it was human error - but I won't believe them.

Maybe it wasn't software, or regenerative braking, or a control function ... I'm thinking now that it was really poorly designed brakes.

1. Driver error (waiting for Tesla logs and wife maintains what she went through): 99%
2. Code defect (no way of knowing and forum members pooh-pooing the idea that this is even possible): 1%

What if that 1% code defect could be hypothesized as a potential hack? It's doable and possible as has been shown many times on other cars.
Ok, maybe it wasn't brakes, someone hacked the car and made it drive into a dumpster .....

I'll think of something else after this is refuted....

If it was just unintended acceleration without hitting the brakes I would say that it's absolutely possible. Software engineers make mistakes all the time and I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla isn't as rigorous with testing and failsafes as other car companies. It's the unintended acceleration while hitting the brakes that seems virtually impossible. Sure if someone hacked the car maybe it could be done but why would they target your wife specifically? What's the motive?

I dislike cars that have brakes that require very little effort. They feel far too touchy.

Reactions: S'toon and MP3Mike
For everyone that didn't read the whole thread and needs to catch up ...

My wife's car was in an accident. It crashed into a curb and a dumpster. It might have been her fault but because there have been other Tesla's that have had the same thing happen, I'm blaming the car.

More specifically, I'm blaming the part of the software that is in effect in parking spaces.

We've both driven a lot so this couldn't possibly have been the drivers fault since it has never happened before.

Maybe it wasn't the software, it may have been the physical pedals being designed wrong.

I really hope it was my wife's fault (not really), but I'm still going to blame the car. Oh, and can anyone supply some information so that I can look like I'm being fair, but I'll ignore it anyway.

I'm saying I'm a shareholder so everything I write is, of course, completely unbiased. But, since there is not a 100% chance that this was human error, I'm still blaming the car.

My wife still says it wasn't her fault. She has parked the car a lot so, of course, couldn't have made a mistake. I sent Tesla pictures of the car, I think they're going to lie about what happened.

Tesla have this happen more often than others because of regenerative braking. See, something similar happened to someone else .. it must be the car.

I'm going to say it might be driver error, but, in the same sentence, I'll strongly imply that it really isn't and that there is some hidden "real" cause.

I'm saying it really is the car now since there are things in the car that really do control acceleration without driver input, it must have been one of those that did it. I'll toss out some programming lingo and, again, ask for input that I'll discount as not being certain enough.

It probably wasn't the physical pedal. It was most likely a software control of a piece of hardware that did it. Since other people have reported problems with auto pilot doing strange things I'll surmise that that is he cause.

I filed a complaint with government but I expect both them and Tesla to tell me it was human error - but I won't believe them.

Maybe it wasn't software, or regenerative braking, or a control function ... I'm thinking now that it was really poorly designed brakes.

Ok, maybe it wasn't brakes, someone hacked the car and made it drive into a dumpster .....

I'll think of something else after this is refuted....

dsvick - I hope you don't have any personal grief with people who report SUA. I take your comments as being someone who's never done or been involved in possibility thinking or are completely naive. Any one of the options I have alluded to or get educated on could be a possibility including driver error. Note I have never said that it cannot be a driver fault and yet you keep insisting that this is a witch hunt. You are entitled to your opinion on SUA and please don't let me rain on your parade.

Nothing's being proven conclusively or refuted as no one knows what actually happened in these SUA cases. Its the driver and their families who have to go through the explore and the frustration. As I said in one of my earlier posts - I'll take a bruised ego any day over a design flaw.

dsvick - I hope you don't have any personal grief with people who report SUA.
No, not at all and, in fact, I'm sorry that it happened to your wife, I'm sure it was scary. It is your constantly shifting target of blame that I have an issue with. It seems like every time someone refutes your current theory you find another possible cause while always saying "I hope I'm wrong", but the impression you give is that hope for anything but being wrong.

You want it to be the car, or the software, or the brakes, or control interface, or the shape and configuration of the pedals, hell you'd even settle for nefarious hackers that are out get your wife than have it be her fault. You say all of this while maintaining that you want there to be nothing wrong with the car while at the same time setting the stage to deny any results that point to it being human error by implying that either, or both, Tesla and the government are going to lie to you.

Why not wait for the results of the investigation before going on your snipe hunt? At least then we can start with "It's a conspiracy and everyone lied" and move on from there.

Stop. This is becoming bizarre. 100%

Where'd the whole 1% chance number come from?

It's actually 0%. Literally. There is a 0% chance this was not driver error. 100% chance the wife pressed the wrong pedal. Not 99%. Not 99.99999%. 100%.

There has been detailed explanations as to why this is a fact.

No amount of conspiracy nonsense will change this.

Unless you have some proof to negate everything presented here by myself and other experts in the field to *prove* that somehow the car magically decided to do its own thing (again, impossible), I highly suggest you stop wasting time on this.

As for my feelings on these SUA people/threads/etc.... I personally find them to be completely ridiculous. The same story every time. And it's just a waste of time and resources. Attempts to save themselves from admitting fault in the situation despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

If you think you can make a case, file it and sue Tesla for damages.

"Your Honor, my wife says its the cars fault. I have no proof, and experts have proven irrefutably that it was driver error, but I'm still right so I should win."

Tesla, let me know if this happens and I'll go to the hearings as an expert witness to debunk the nonsense. Gratis.

Tesla, let me know if this happens and I'll go to the hearings as an expert witness to debunk the nonsense. Gratis.

Funny. It crossed my mind that Tesla should bring you in as an independent subject matter expert - and also get testimony that you already told the plaintiff that it was not possible, but they went ahead with the suit anyway. And then Tesla can attempt to reclaim their costs defending a frivolous suit.

dsvick - I hope you don't have any personal grief with people who report SUA. I take your comments as being someone who's never done or been involved in possibility thinking or are completely naive. Any one of the options I have alluded to or get educated on could be a possibility including driver error. Note I have never said that it cannot be a driver fault and yet you keep insisting that this is a witch hunt. You are entitled to your opinion on SUA and please don't let me rain on your parade.

Nothing's being proven conclusively or refuted as no one knows what actually happened in these SUA cases. Its the driver and their families who have to go through the explore and the frustration. As I said in one of my earlier posts - I'll take a bruised ego any day over a design flaw.

This is one of the things that are wrong in modern world. People don't know how to take responsibility for their actions, always so eager to share the blame (*).

You and your wife should accept it was 100% sure user error. No ifs or butts, the whole "1% hack" is just beyond any alien theory. I'd almost more believe in aliens than someone hacking your car.

(*) I remember I was discussing with my friend in 2006, quite soon after I had moved to Usa from Europe (him also). One thing he noted is that with the school bus flashing lights to stop the traffic, although it makes it safer for the kids, it doesn't teach them to be responsible while crossing the road. Save for few unfortunate exceptions, they know they can run across the road without checking if there's cars incoming. It teaches them to rely on some external function, instead of taking responsibility yourself to make sure it's ok to cross. (I have long list of other opinions too about kids nowadays being raised too safe, and then there's problems when they have to face to actual world.

(and get off my lawn and get a haircut while you're at it, etc.)