Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly can't charge above 24 amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My advice is be happy you had a Tesla loaner and that your car is now fixed, and stop looking for freebies. Free annual service because you drove a different Tesla than yours for 2 weeks? That’s ridiculous.

I agree looking for a freebie is a bit much, but if, for instance, they did a coolant change in the course of doing the service, nothing wrong with finding that out and knowing you can reset the clock on when that needs to be done again in the future.

Same issue for the last 6 months, but mine starts off at 40 amps and then drops to 30. Tesla has not been able to diagnose and thinks it's my electrical, but even loaner and my neighbor's car all charge fine at 40 amps. I did have issues with my HV battery so they thought it could be that but even after the HV battery was replaced I still can't charge above 30 amps!

I also have a50 amp breaker on a NEMA 14-50.

Is this another case of the onboard charger (10 amps loss is strange though). Thoughts?

I have the same problem. Both cars model S and 3. It keeps dropping from 40A to 30A. I bought new HPWC (with plug) and had the same issue. It was working for 2-3 weeks fine 40A and now keep dropping from 40->30-.20A. I can reset back to 40A but it will drop again.

Reading from the thread, I suspect could be the plug 14-50 NEMA plug. So I changed the plug to Hubbel (from Leviton). Not resolved.
In my scenario, circuit breaker never pop. I do have junction box between the circuit breaker to NEMA 14-50.

Any thoughts ?

I have the same problem. Both cars model S and 3. It keeps dropping from 40A to 30A. I bought new HPWC (with plug) and had the same issue. It was working for 2-3 weeks fine 40A and now keep dropping from 40->30-.20A. I can reset back to 40A but it will drop again.

Reading from the thread, I suspect could be the plug 14-50 NEMA plug. So I changed the plug to Hubbel (from Leviton). Not resolved.
In my scenario, circuit breaker never pop. I do have junction box between the circuit breaker to NEMA 14-50.

Any thoughts ?
Since you swapped HPWCs and assuming you have proper gauge wire, the issue is most likely in the circuit between the breaker box and the 14-50 socket. The HPWC is sensing a voltage drop and is throttling to prevent overheating.
The most likely suspects are connections.
After powering down the circuit, check the torque of all connectors in your 14-50 socket. If good, carefully check the wire connections at the breaker (for safety, open the master breaker).
Give the heating-cooling fluctuations of the connections, it would not be uncommon for a slightly under-torqued connection to loosen over time.

Since you swapped HPWCs and assuming you have proper gauge wire, the issue is most likely in the circuit between the breaker box and the 14-50 socket. The HPWC is sensing a voltage drop and is throttling to prevent overheating.
The most likely suspects are connections.
After powering down the circuit, check the torque of all connectors in your 14-50 socket. If good, carefully check the wire connections at the breaker (for safety, open the master breaker).
Give the heating-cooling fluctuations of the connections, it would not be uncommon for a slightly under-torqued connection to loosen over time.

Thanks. I will check. It is 6 gauge wire. Another concern that I have is that from the circuit breaker to the plug, it is not one wire pull. We have junction box with splicer. I wonder if this could affect the connection.

What voltage is the car reporting at the start of charging and once the amperage drops?

The voltage remains the same. Around 237V-239V. I use 50A circuit breaker. Could this be the issue ?
The problem is very sporadic but definitely if I need to continuously charge for more than 5 hours (I have 2 cars)--the Amperage will drop.

In regard to the splicer and connector, they seem pretty secure. Is there any way to connect better than using splicer in the junction box ?

Thanks. I will check. It is 6 gauge wire. Another concern that I have is that from the circuit breaker to the plug, it is not one wire pull. We have junction box with splicer. I wonder if this could affect the connection.
Yes, the terminals in a junction box can cause this. If the j-box is large enough, consider replacing any conventional screw type splices with Burndy Unitap BISR2 (available on Amazon).
If you have crimped splices, check that none of the wires are loose in the terminals which can be caused by an improper crimp.
Open the breaker before doing any of these checks.

The voltage remains the same. Around 237V-239V. I use 50A circuit breaker. Could this be the issue ?
The problem is very sporadic but definitely if I need to continuously charge for more than 5 hours (I have 2 cars)--the Amperage will drop.

In regard to the splicer and connector, they seem pretty secure. Is there any way to connect better than using splicer in the junction box ?
Something that hasn't been mentioned, but this problem can also be outside your house in the feed or at the transformer. If it's undersized or failing in some way, you can get voltage fluctuations that trigger the car to reduce power. I would especially be suspicious of this if the voltage stays fairly stable as the car ramps up, and the lowered amperage gets triggered later. Also, if you manually dial down the amperage, but the car continues to trigger and lower it further, anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Something that hasn't been mentioned, but this problem can also be outside your house in the feed or at the transformer. If it's undersized or failing in some way, you can get voltage fluctuations that trigger the car to reduce power. I would especially be suspicious of this if the voltage stays fairly stable as the car ramps up, and the lowered amperage gets triggered later. Also, if you manually dial down the amperage, but the car continues to trigger and lower it further, anyway.
When I first had this issue, SCE came and checked. They rerun the wire and connected directly to the transformer. It is possible that things have changed. It is really fluctuate. Sometimes it is charging fine but I always have issues at least once every two weeks (that I know of).

what would be considered voltage fluctuations? I noticed it did drop till 230v but still charge 40a. I cannot pull this data. Thanks for your help.