Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Central

SC-9. Seeking quick access from both I-4 and the Turnpike, something near the Festival Bay Mall (International Drive, 5250 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819). Roughly 53 from SC-8, 105 from SC-7, 110 from SC-3, 45 from SC-4, 80 from SC-5.

Comments?

Makes most sense at the Millennia Mall. Literally less than a mile from the turnpike/I-4 intersection.

Just had a thought... all of this work is not going to help anyone if it doesn't end up in Tesla's hands so they can consider it. Do we know of anyone at Tesla involved in the Supercharger planning and rollout?

- - - Updated - - -

Makes most sense at the Millennia Mall. Literally less than a mile from the turnpike/I-4 intersection.

Thanks. I want to figure out how to place all these locations into a Google map, and then I'll update SC-9 with your suggestion.

I was wondering why the Panhandle doesn't get any love? :) (I've never been there...)

I would add a SC @ the Visitor Center on I-75 just over the GA/FL state line. Of course, GA needs its own set as well. (As well as the other 44 states in the Continental US)

I was wondering why the Panhandle doesn't get any love? :) (I've never been there...)

I really intended to finish Florida, but it took me several attempts to find a set of places that met both of the key conditions: first, good candidate locations; and second, roughly 100 miles from the next Supercharger in any direction. Moving any of them had ripple effects on the locations of the others.

Great map! I tried to edit and add another location, but all existing locations disappear when I try to do so. Where can I find instructions on how to create/edit this map? Do you mind if I start with yours?

Last edited:
The best location is Corkscrew Rd, exit 123 in Estero, FL....At Miromar Outlet Mall. Right at the exit with plenty to do, Germaine Arena next door, also. It is exactly 1/2 way (140miles to both Tampa and Miami).....This location screams of perfection. Do a full charge, there, then you don't have to nurse your way across the Alley.

The best location is Corkscrew Rd, exit 123 in Estero, FL....At Miromar Outlet Mall. Right at the exit with plenty to do, Germaine Arena next door, also. It is exactly 1/2 way (140miles to both Tampa and Miami).....This location screams of perfection. Do a full charge, there, then you don't have to nurse your way across the Alley.

I absolutely agree.

Here's a site survey I did.

Miromar Outlet Mall google maps.jpg

Miromar Outlet Mall.jpg

Miami Beach Store Opening 032.JPG

Miami Beach Store Opening 033.jpg

Larry

This Miramar location would be perfect for me, too! I would also like to see one between Tampa and Orlando on I-4.

The trick, as I found when doing this exercise, is siting them so that each one is in a high-traffic area, but also so that they are a suitable distance away from the "next" Supercharger in every direction. When I tried to "build out" the network, I couldn't come up with a good reason to put one there.

But that's not my neck of the woods, so I'm likely to miss something in terms of needs or traffic patterns. Tampa to Orlando is only about 85 miles total... an easy trip for any Tesla if either of those is your endpoint. So who would be needing a Supercharger in that corridor? Naples to Orlando? Or what trip?

The trick, as I found when doing this exercise, is siting them so that each one is in a high-traffic area, but also so that they are a suitable distance away from the "next" Supercharger in every direction. When I tried to "build out" the network, I couldn't come up with a good reason to put one there.

But that's not my neck of the woods, so I'm likely to miss something in terms of needs or traffic patterns. Tampa to Orlando is only about 85 miles total... an easy trip for any Tesla if either of those is your endpoint. So who would be needing a Supercharger in that corridor? Naples to Orlando? Or what trip?

Rodolfo,

I assume you have no problem with the numerous positive remarks about Miromar Outlet Mall. So suppose for the sake of argument we put a Supercharger there. Now suppose you want to go to Orlando. That's a 213 mile trip. Placing another Supercharger near I-4 and I-75 would split the distance nicely.

I should point out for comparison purposes that the distance between the Tejon and LA Superchargers is only 91 miles.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

This Miramar location would be perfect for me, too! I would also like to see one between Tampa and Orlando on I-4.

Do you have an idea of a specific host location on I-4 that has the necessary amenities?

The Brandon Town Center Mall is located near I-75 and the Selman Expressway. It is also just 5 miles from I-4.

Brandon Town Center Mall.jpg

I did a site survey of the Brandon Town Center Mall

Brandon Mall.jpg

Larry's Model S Delivery 133.jpg

This entrance leads to the restaurants and restrooms.

Larry's Model S Delivery 135.jpg

These transformers are located to the left of the entrance.

Larry's Model S Delivery 139.jpg

This is a location in the parking lot for Superchargers.
The transformers in the previous photo are located behind the trash compactor.

Larry

Last edited:
I assume you have no problem with the numerous positive remarks about Miromar Outlet Mall. So suppose for the sake of argument we put a Supercharger there. Now suppose you want to go to Orlando. That's a 213 mile trip. Placing another Supercharger near I-4 and I-75 would split the distance nicely.

My apologies if it sounded like I was criticizing or attacking his suggestion, that was not at all my intention. I have no attachment to any particular location, just an engineer's obsession with understanding the "why" and "how" all the pieces fit together.

I understand the Miromar-Orlando and Miromar-to-Panhandle need perfectly -- though of course abstractly, since again it's not my neck of the woods -- and that's why I suggested SC-7 at the Ellenton Premium Outlets. My choice of Ellenton was intended to make that Supercharger easily available to those traveling between the Naples area and either St. Petersburg or Tampa. Brandon serves a similar need, but seems to give more relative weight to the east-west traffic towards Orlando and leaves St. Petersburg a little less "connected".

I wanted to understand why Brandon (or anything along that segment) would be better than Ellenton. But again, only to understand, not to impeach. If the locals say A is better than B, then A it is! I'm on board. :)

My apologies if it sounded like I was criticizing or attacking his suggestion, that was not at all my intention. I have no attachment to any particular location, just an engineer's obsession with understanding the "why" and "how" all the pieces fit together.

I understand the Miromar-Orlando and Miromar-to-Panhandle need perfectly -- though of course abstractly, since again it's not my neck of the woods -- and that's why I suggested SC-7 at the Ellenton Premium Outlets. My choice of Ellenton was intended to make that Supercharger easily available to those traveling between the Naples area and either St. Petersburg or Tampa. Brandon serves a similar need, but seems to give more relative weight to the east-west traffic towards Orlando and leaves St. Petersburg a little less "connected".

I wanted to understand why Brandon (or anything along that segment) would be better than Ellenton. But again, only to understand, not to impeach. If the locals say A is better than B, then A it is! I'm on board. :)

To me the most important aspect in citing these Supercharger stations is to find a suitable host, with all the necessary amenities on a strategic route. Less important is to get the distance between the Superchargers precisely correct. Whereas the distances can't be too far apart, (no more than 150 miles in my opinion) if they turn out to be as low as 85-90 miles apart that's okay in my mind. In going through these exercises what we don't know is the difficulties Tesla has had or will have in negotiating with the prospective hosts. That is the key.

With that stated as background, I would have no problem with a Supercharger being located at the Ellenton Premium Outlets if other options were not feasible. The Ellenton location is located off of one North-South arterial, I-75 and one East-West arterial Rt-301. However, Brandon Town Center is located near a nexus of both North-South and East-West arterials. It is located off of I-75 going North-South, the Leroy Selman Expressway going West-East to Tampa, and SR-60 going West-East to eventually connect with the Florida Turnpike, and finally its only 5 miles from I-4 going West-East to Orlando. It is also only a few miles from the Tampa Service Center.

As was mentioned earlier we haven't really directed any attention to routes toward the North. We will probably need a Supercharger off of I-75 in the general vicinity of Gainsville (maybe The Oaks Mall) in order to be able to get to Tallahassee (maybe the Tallahassee Mall). The Brandon location would be better located for trips headed North on I-75 toward Tallahassee.

Larry

Last edited:
Found a wonderful spot for Superchargers at Sawgrass Mills, near "The Colonnade" area of higher-end shops. Lots of visibility, lots of traffic, as close to a transformer as we're likely to get, and within a stone's throw of three restaurants, a mall entrance, and restrooms. I have pics, but will need a little time to get them ready. Still, I'm very happy with the results of the outing.

Found a wonderful spot for Superchargers at Sawgrass Mills, near "The Colonnade" area of higher-end shops. Lots of visibility, lots of traffic, as close to a transformer as we're likely to get, and within a stone's throw of three restaurants, a mall entrance, and restrooms. I have pics, but will need a little time to get them ready. Still, I'm very happy with the results of the outing.

Sawgrass Mills might be a good location.

The Galleria Mall at Ft. Lauderdale is an upscale location that is strategically located not far from the intersection on I-595 going West to Alligator Alley and I-95 going North and South. I've dined there, but haven't surveyed the location.

Larry

Hi everyone - I'm a new forum member, TSLA stockholder and hopefully future MS owner. I've really appreciated the thoughtful comments and insights provided by other members, especially fellow Floridians.

I'd like to throw my two cents into this discussion by agreeing with Larry's Sept 2012 comment, with the great map, regarding Wal-Mart stores and supercharger locations. It seems to me Tesla, Solar City, and Wal-Mart would all benefit by leveraging and expanding their existing relationship outside of California. Wal-Mart will directly benefit from solar panel installations, as will Solar City. Tesla purchases & supplies batteries, probably lowering their unit cost with the increased volume. Since Solar City (and thus Elon Musk) has an already strong relationship with Wal-Mart, the time from site selection to finished product would be minimized, e.g., no bureaucratic red tape, posturing, etc.

As noted, Wal-Marts are often located within short driving distances of major arteries, like I-75 and I-95. Many are open 24/7, all have public bathrooms and some either a McDonalds or Subway inside. They are always well-lit with good security day and night, and almost always will have plenty of available space for multiple SC installation. Unlike shopping malls, most people don't spend hours shopping at Wal-Marts, thus minimizing SC wait times. Although I realize some owners routinely avoid Wal-Marts, who among us couldn't find something to do in there for 30 minutes on a long-distance trip?

I'd like one of the SC locations to be the new Wal-Mart Supercenter located just east of I-75 on Hwy 70 in the Lakewood Ranch (east Bradenton) area. It's only 2 exits south of the Ellenton Outlets, and still south of the junction of I-75 and I-275 (to St. Pete). I personally think, whenever possible SC's should be located near major artery junctions, like I-75/I-10 and TP/I-75/SR44 mentioned earlier.

It's probably naive to think the Tesla SC team reads these posts and takes notes but, given the breadth, talent and knowledge of forum members, it probably would be wise to do so.

Bill

- - - Updated - - -

Hi everyone - I'm a new forum member, TSLA stockholder and hopefully future MS owner. I've really appreciated the thoughtful comments and insights provided by other members, especially fellow Floridians.

I'd like to throw my two cents into this discussion by agreeing with Larry's Sept 2012 comment, with the great map, regarding Wal-Mart stores and supercharger locations. It seems to me Tesla, Solar City, and Wal-Mart would all benefit by leveraging and expanding their existing relationship outside of California. Wal-Mart will directly benefit from solar panel installations, as will Solar City. Tesla purchases & supplies batteries, probably lowering their unit cost with the increased volume. Since Solar City (and thus Elon Musk) has an already strong relationship with Wal-Mart, the time from site selection to finished product would be minimized, e.g., no bureaucratic red tape, posturing, etc.

As noted, Wal-Marts are often located within short driving distances of major arteries, like I-75 and I-95. Many are open 24/7, all have public bathrooms and some either a McDonalds or Subway inside. They are always well-lit with good security day and night, and almost always will have plenty of available space for multiple SC installation. Unlike shopping malls, most people don't spend hours shopping at Wal-Marts, thus minimizing SC wait times. Although I realize some owners routinely avoid Wal-Marts, who among us couldn't find something to do in there for 30 minutes on a long-distance trip?

I'd like one of the SC locations to be the new Wal-Mart Supercenter located just east of I-75 on Hwy 70 in the Lakewood Ranch (east Bradenton) area. It's only 2 exits south of the Ellenton Outlets, and still south of the junction of I-75 and I-275 (to St. Pete). I personally think, whenever possible SC's should be located near major artery junctions, like I-75/I-10 and TP/I-75/SR44 mentioned earlier.

It's probably naive to think the Tesla SC team reads these posts and takes notes but, given the breadth, talent and knowledge of forum members, it probably would be wise to do so.

Bill