Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for planning a Victorian ski trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course i have to declare my self interest in this but it seems to make more sense to place 1 supercharger in Bright, This would service Hotham, Falls and Buffalo with enough in reserve for 60s as well as 70s and 85s and ties in well with the Hume chargers. Alternatively Omeo allows access to Falls via the back road (although the High Plains Road is often closed all winter) as well as Hotham.

Absolutely @Bright, would make a lot of sense. And you wouldn't do the Bairnsdale route just for alps access, way too low demand compared to the Bright/Harrietville route I would think. More for Gippsland lakes and the coast route to NSW with ski fields access as a bonus. Can't see it happening for a long time yet though, the route to Adelaide would be the most likely major avenue to be enabled in Victoria next you'd think. Bright could happen a lot sooner given it would already have the Hume route supporting it and would be an easy enabler of a lot of extra routes.

Thanks Lennier, I hope your shoulder is not too bad, maybe some of the Tesla Dr's/Ortho's can help you out;-) I think Rosedale is more likely for a supercharger given standard 170 to 200km between chargers and it would allow eventual Orbost and Eden (these are a long way off though). In between can be serviced by destination chargers, hopefully they can do a deal with other councils and put destination chargers in between the superchargers all over the country! I guess Rosedale with a destination charger in Omeo may have also worked? Certainly would have made the Bairnsdale stop faster.

Thanks Lennier, I hope your shoulder is not too bad, maybe some of the Tesla Dr's/Ortho's can help you out;-) I think Rosedale is more likely for a supercharger given standard 170 to 200km between chargers and it would allow eventual Orbost and Eden (these are a long way off though). In between can be serviced by destination chargers, hopefully they can do a deal with other councils and put destination chargers in between the superchargers all over the country! I guess Rosedale with a destination charger in Omeo may have also worked? Certainly would have made the Bairnsdale stop faster.

Thanks Baillies, the shoulder is coming along slowly. Took the steering out of comfort mode the other day so that's progress :)

Mount Buller descent: Generated 1.5kWh over 16km of driving. When's the last time an ICE made petrol by driving downhill? Is there a world record for electricity production from downhill driving?

FullSizeRender.jpg

A quick postscript for any MX 100 drivers out there, as we took ours to Mt Buller this week and parked for the working week, with 6 people in the car and all ski gear except skis and poles (late spring, so happy to use rentals!) And one of the two rear seats folded to fit everything - a tight squeeze even with the frunk. We did an almost to full charge at Euroa on the way up (with the 100KwH battery that was to 420km typical range - max is 430km). Drove gently and got up to the Buller CSIR overnight carpark with 250km range (chewed circa 65km of range up the mountain for 14km actual). Then lost 2km per day in the carpark, so set off with 240km. Gained range on the way down (jumped near the bottom of the mountain and seemed to get most of the way to Mansfield with steady at 245km), though drove down the mountain slowly as regenerative not fully active on a cold battery and wanted as much regenerative as possible). Then able to get back to Melb without a recharge given a fair bit of traffic heading home late afternoon, meant speed average of 90 most of the way - and lots of 80 zones helped) and home with 40km range left (live in Camberwell). Hopefully the Mansfield Supercharger goes in before next winter, not afterwards (and ditto for Bright) given Teslerati showing "end of 2018" for both).

Reactions: RichardMcN
Does anyone have any secret squirrel insights into the Mansfield supercharger? It would make me very happy to hear that it will be in before next winter.
Also, I'm pretty amazed that you only lost 2km of range per day parked on Mt Buller! I lose more than that parked at home. Are the newer cars less 'leaky' than they used to be? I went up Mt Hotham in my Model S P85 this winter and arrived with 40km range left. I had to leave it until the next afternoon until I could move it to a charging spot at which point it only had 20km range left. And each of those so-called km disappeared roughly every 200 metres or so! I arrived at the charging spot with 7km left! The first time in almost 3 years of EVing that I got to experience range anxiety!

Does anyone have any secret squirrel insights into the Mansfield supercharger? It would make me very happy to hear that it will be in before next winter.
Also, I'm pretty amazed that you only lost 2km of range per day parked on Mt Buller! I lose more than that parked at home. Are the newer cars less 'leaky' than they used to be? I went up Mt Hotham in my Model S P85 this winter and arrived with 40km range left. I had to leave it until the next afternoon until I could move it to a charging spot at which point it only had 20km range left. And each of those so-called km disappeared roughly every 200 metres or so! I arrived at the charging spot with 7km left! The first time in almost 3 years of EVing that I got to experience range anxiety!
I don't know re leakage of older vs newer- but it was warm during the day being late season, and we had one 9 degree day, the others around +4 and nights only down to -2 or -1 and one night above zero all night, so that may have made a difference. We were also parked with vehicles either side, nose into the hill and in a sunny, wind protected spot. Finally, all the telemetry was off (ie the Tesla tracker/datashare) and other than after the first day, I didn't use the app to check either as was trying not to wake anything up.