Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suitable Seat Cleaning Chemicals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know many people have had problems with transfer. I’ve had no problem getting jean transfer off the seats with baby wipes or soap and water.

The dog hammock I have unfortunately (did not anticipate!) has transferred black from the non-slip rubberized material to the rear white seats.

I’ve tried wipes, soap and water, and an auto foaming vinyl cleaner. I’ve never cleaned my seats with anything stronger. Trying to stay mild until I get the right thing without actually damaging the material. Not budging so far.

Any suggestions? I scanned through the above. I guess the follow up question if I am successful is what can I do to coat the surface to prevent this. Obviously I’ll need to keep a white towel under it in future although that defeats the purpose of the rubberized hammock coating.

It’s shockingly bad. Sad! These seats are basically unused.

414A8261-89D8-4FBA-B47E-2BA64F52821A.jpeg

This is my go to for cleaning, I use it to clean black marks from rubber rings on my pinball machines. Have not used it on my seats (I’m sad enough that I haven’t sat in my seats once in a pair of jeans, I bought chinos especially for when driving it) but have used it on the door card and other surfaces to remove scuffs etc, and it’s been very effective.

Amberclens Ambersil Anti Static Foaming Cleaner 400ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003FTR0IS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lb1rFb0KJCSR3

It might not work any better than your foaming vinyl cleaner, but worth a shot.

Halfords have started selling Autofinesse detailing products which are top notch! I bought their 'Total Interior Cleaner' for £8.95, its an all purpose interior cleaner and brings my seats (black) up like brand new! Leather cleaners usually contain essential oils so aren't suitable.

I had my car a week before jeans transfer borked the white.. tried everything I can think of even the more unlikely 'remedies' from the internet. It's plastic - pretty hard to damage - although I baulked at peroxide as that stuff can even damage plastic.

It seems like time is slowly wearing the blue off.. it isn't as pronounced as before but I reckon it'll never be fully gone.

Apologies that this is slightly off topic, but what do you guys recommend for cleaning the plastic surfaces inside the car, including the high gloss black trim. I splashed hand sanitiser inside my car and it has left some marks that don't want to buff off with a microfiber cloth.

Apologies that this is slightly off topic, but what do you guys recommend for cleaning the plastic surfaces inside the car, including the high gloss black trim. I splashed hand sanitiser inside my car and it has left some marks that don't want to buff off with a microfiber cloth.
For any stubborn marks I use Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care. However, routine cleaning is a duster, then a wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth if needed.

My high-gloss black trim is covered with a wrap.

Have you tried a mild solvent, like IPA (iso-propyl alcohol)? I used this to degrease my white seats before ceramic coating them when the car was new.

I repeatedly hear that one is not supposed to use IPA on the seats (dissolves protective coating?) so I have avoided that so far. Would not be surprised if it worked but that is why I have not tried it.

I repeatedly hear that one is not supposed to use IPA on the seats (dissolves protective coating?) so I have avoided that so far. Would not be surprised if it worked but that is why I have not tried it.

Contrary to the above, the manufacturer of the Tesla seat material recommend exactly that. The seats are not leather. Not even vegan leather. They are polyurethane. Cleaning and Care | ultrafabrics. Pay particular attention to the pdf at the bottom.

Reactions: Roy W.
Contrary to the above, the manufacturer of the Tesla seat material recommend exactly that. The seats are not leather. Not even vegan leather. They are polyurethane. Cleaning and Care | ultrafabrics. Pay particular attention to the pdf at the bottom.

Thanks. Unfortunately IPA does not work. I guess I can try again. Seems that petroleum based products, probably what was in the rubberized coating, penetrate and permanent bond with the seat. Very persistent!

Fortunately I can just buy a new seat cushion if I really want to get rid of the marks.

I guess I could try Hydrogen peroxide just for the heck of it. No idea what might work.

One of these days I should try an abrasive cleaner to remove the surface and see if that helps. Obviously waiting on that until I have tried all non-destructive options.

Fortunately I can just buy a new seat cushion if I really want to get rid of the marks.

As a last resort, if you do get to point of being about to buy a new seat cushion, it might be worth trying one of those "magic eraser sponges" ... the white ones that remove marks ... they use a sort of sacrificial fine abrasion but they work well on plastic surfaces. I only say as a last resort because it may well remove the surface finish slightly but it would be worth a go and most plastics buff up back to normal after they have been cleaned.

Do Tesla sell cleaning chemicals for the seats or is there any recommended seat cleaner for the Tesla 3 that people have used with success? I have leather cleaner from my previous car but unsure if it is suitable for Tesla seats, last thing I want is for it to react with the material or the dye to come out. I have the black seats by the way.

I've got the white interior baby, wipes work fine.

As a last resort, if you do get to point of being about to buy a new seat cushion, it might be worth trying one of those "magic eraser sponges" ... the white ones that remove marks ... they use a sort of sacrificial fine abrasion but they work well on plastic surfaces. I only say as a last resort because it may well remove the surface finish slightly but it would be worth a go and most plastics buff up back to normal after they have been cleaned.

Magic erasers don't touch stubborn stains on the tesla seats.. hence my denim stains are still there. I think the plastic actually absorbs some types of staining and the only way to get rid of it would be to replace the seat.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado