Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer in Revere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a reverse snowbird, in that I live on Miami Beach, but spend my summers on Revere Beach. I just bought a Model 3 LR. I want to bring my Model 3 up there, but have not found a local place to charge. There is availability at my condo in Revere. Any help will be appreciated

As a matter of semantics, a true snowbird spends 9 months in the north, but the winter in Florida. I spend my 9 months, including the winter, in Miami, and spend my summers in Boston. That is why I call myself a reverse snowbird.
My issue is that there seem to be no Tesla chargers in Boston’s North Shore. Yes, there are some J1722 chargers, but those are slow, very slow. Not sure how I can keep my M3 on Revere Beach, if there is no place to charge

Reactions: JWardell
Man, Boston keeps getting bigger and bigger. First Cambridge was Boston (unless you lived there), then Brookline and Somerville were Boston. Now Revere too?

Anyway, Google Maps Those are Tesla specific chargers. And someone already shared a PlugShare link. A 120v outlet, IMO, is not enough for anybody, but since there are so many chargers nearby that are 8x-120x faster, it's good enough.

A 120v outlet, IMO, is not enough for anybody, but since there are so many chargers nearby that are 8x-120x faster, it's good enough.

I agree, 120V charging is ridiculously slow. Last September, I tried it on Martha’s Vineyard and quickly gave up. There are a pair of Tesla destination chargers at a posh hotel so I asked if they would allow me to charge while at lunch. They graciously agreed. No guilts here because I’ve spent $$$ there over the years. OP needs to make deal with a provider.

In Metro West, I’m very spoiled with SCs in Framingham, Hudson, Dedham, plus free ChargePoint at two local grocery stores, J1772 at wife’s Boston office, plus a NEMA 14-50 in home garage. Feeling sorry for OP

Re: Snowbirds
Most now stay in Florida from Christmas to Memorial Day cuz NE weather is mostly awful in May.

Last edited:
I can't agree more with lack of Superchargers on the north side of Boston, a handful have been in planning for a year or two now.

But the Chargepoint network is pretty extensive here, and while "slow" it is much faster than 120v and in many locations completely free. For example most public lots in Somerville have them.

Have a look around your location in the Chargepoint map or on plug share. There are a few in Revere.

I can't agree more with lack of Superchargers on the north side of Boston, a handful have been in planning for a year or two now.

Actually, if you look at the map, Revere is closer to the existing superchargers in Boston and Cambridge than most of the proposed sites north of Boston.

I
But the Chargepoint network is pretty extensive here, and while "slow" it is much faster than 120v and in many locations completely free. For example most public lots in Somerville have them.

Totally agree. I have no home charging at all and most of my local charging is done by free ChargePoint stations. There are also other free public charges in the area, PlugShare is your friend.

Reactions: JWardell
Actually, if you look at the map, Revere is closer to the existing superchargers in Boston and Cambridge than most of the proposed sites north of Boston.

Totally agree. I have no home charging at all and most of my local charging is done by free ChargePoint stations. There are also other free public charges in the area, PlugShare is your friend.

I don't count the existence of those superchargers as they are in hourly paid parking garages. At least cambridgeside is only a few dollars but Boston is at least $20.
Thankfully Lynfield is actually under construction. Waiting to see if Woburn or Burlington still happen.

I live near Revere. For Supercharger I usually go to All State Road in Dorchestor which has free parking(it is in a shopping mall area) OR either Cambridge Galleria Mall which has $2 parking for an hour. There is one more Supercharger currently in works at Lynnfield. There is one supposed to come in Revere itself, eagerly waiting for that.

Revere has couple of L2 charging stations mostly Chargepoint. I mostly just charge in the Chargepoint charger at Wonderland MBTA Train station. It works our best with my commute. On weekdays it has $7 for 14 hour parking and on weekends it is $2 for 14 hour parking. There is also one Chargepoint charger near revere beach behind 99 Restaraunt.

Get a PlugShare and Chargepoint account. It will be very helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlSagan and EdA
I was looking at the SC status on the Vineyard, and it seemed like best case was to stay at a hotel with a charger. It's good to hear there are places that are open to letting customers use chargers while eating.

I would say that as a general rule, charge station located in a business are intended for customers only, but customers of a hotel is by no means limited to overnight guests. In case of paid parking lot (like in may downtown hotels) or valet service, even just parking there makes you a customer.

I was looking at the SC status on the Vineyard, and it seemed like best case was to stay at a hotel with a charger. It's good to hear there are places that are open to letting customers use chargers while eating.

Tomc603, the Harborview hotel in Edgartown has 2 destination chargers. Charging at Cronigs Market is dreadfully slow at 16Amps...forgetaboutit. West Tisbury town hall has a pair of J1772 chargers, Oak Bluffs Library has 4-J1772 chargers, and all free. MV Family Campgrounds has Nema 14-50 hookups and will charge you a fee. I stayed at the Winnetu Resort, but their 120V wall plug was much too slow. Farm Neck Golf Club should have a J1772 station to reserve with your tee time. Wouldn't that be kool!

Reactions: DrDabbles and tga
Tomc603, the Harborview hotel in Edgartown has 2 destination chargers. Charging at Cronigs Market is dreadfully slow at 16Amps...forgetaboutit. West Tisbury town hall has a pair of J1772 chargers, Oak Bluffs Library has 4-J1772 chargers, and all free. MV Family Campgrounds has Nema 14-50 hookups and will charge you a fee. I stayed at the Winnetu Resort, but their 120V wall plug was much too slow. Farm Neck Golf Club should have a J1772 station to reserve with your tee time. Wouldn't that be kool!
I'd add - stop at the Mashpee Supercharger and bulk charge before getting on the ferry. That will make your L2 topoff on the Vineyard much quicker.

Reactions: DrDabbles
I am a reverse snowbird, in that I live on Miami Beach, but spend my summers on Revere Beach. I just bought a Model 3 LR. I want to bring my Model 3 up there, but have not found a local place to charge. There is availability at my condo in Revere. Any help will be appreciated

Time to travel. When I wrote the post originally I was only getting one mile of charge an hour on 110. Talked to Tesla and they said to manually force he voltage higher. Now I a getting 5 miles. It is still not a lot, but it is enough. If I need to stop at a supercharger, I know I can go to Cambridgeside or, when finally open, Lynnfield
Flor those interested, I am leaving from Miami Beach. I drive to Sanford, Florida, just north of Orlando and pick up the Autotrain. It take my car and my family to Lorton, VA, just south of DC, the next morning and then drive about 9 hours to Revere Beach

Thisis my travel report from Lorton, VA to Revere Beach, MA.
We left at about 10:30 am.with a full charge. Our first stop was a destination charger at Port House Restaurant in Northeast Maryland. Great food, but a relatively slow charger, about 40 miles per hour. Next stop was a Tesla Supercharger on the New JerseyTP. Final charge was in Framingham, MA.
The car drove absolutely fantastic. It was smooth and stable at all speeds. in fact, we never felt the speed. It felt the same driving at 60 as 90. I have driven this same trip in my wife's Mercedes and the ride was much better in the Tesla