Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon activates mysteriously

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I walked past the car (S90D, AP1) in my garage. Garage door was closed. Since the fob was in my pocket the handles presented as usual. 10 minutes later my wife asks why the car is in my neighbor's yard. Our garage door was closed. My phone notifications showed: summon activated, homelink activated, summon complete, homelink activated.

I have never used the summon feature on my phone. I have used the fob a few times to back the car out, just to see how it works.

The Tesla App was one of many apps open on my phone, but I hadn't opened it lately. It probably opened due to the notifications.

I sent an email to Tesla service asking them to review the car logs if possible.

I am changing the password to MyTesla. However, I'm sure Russian hackers have better things to do than mess with my car.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Sounds like your skinny jeans are toooooooo skinny. Several years ago there was posts from an owner that kept finding his trunk open. Long story short, his new leather fob case had a snap on it that was pushing down on the back of the fob when he sat down. Got rid of the leather fob case and bingo problem solved.

I have no 3rd party apps. I was wearing cargo shorts and both the phone and keys were loosely in the pockets. The car backed up 40' so the front wheels were on my driveway and the back wheels were on my neighbors lawn.

I didn't take a picture. Don't want to recreate the scene and panic my neighbor. The attached picture is of my old Tesla. My S90D stopped just short of that large bush.
IMG_20160927_142022.jpg

Do you have Require Continuous Press enabled?

Shortly after I got my car, I was in the basement assembling some IKEA furniture. I went out to the garage and found the hatch open. While my car didn't move, I decided to enable Require Continuous Press to prevent accidental fob summons in the future.

The service department got back to me. They said the key fob activated summons at 7:33 PM. At that time I was sitting on a chair in my family room watching TV. The fob was in the cargo pocket of my shorts, which is quite loose. The fob must have worked it's way down between my leg and the chair. My leg held it against the chair to depress the "roof button" long enough to activate summons. Then I must have moved so that the rear liftgate button on the fob depressed to complete summons.

I simulated this and even though the fob is 20 feet and a couple walls away from the car, it is possible. Not easy though, especially depressing the rear liftgate button with my leg shortly after the roof button.