Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon and EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thinking EAP is probably not for me but I had a question about summon.

Most of my driving is city... gridded streets, 25 mph, lots of stop signs. We have lots of pedestrians and cyclists to watch out for. I’m on on the freeway a few times a month and in stop and go freeway traffic a few times a year. So for me, I can’t see using EAP... I would not trust it to avoid our cyclists!

One thing that would be great would be if it could actually park itself at home. My garage is a tandem but I can maneuver to the “behind” parking space with a parallel parking maneuver. Doing so puts me within 4-6” of objects (posts, cars, walls) on both sides of the car.

It sounds strange but would be normal to a lot of SF folk. I’ve done it hundreds of times but my wife refuses to. Pulling out is a little easier it’s just a tight squeeze. The alternative is the move the car in front out of the way first to park behind (which is a pain). I guessing summon wouldn’t even attempt it?

If I understand what you are asking, summon cannot do large steering maneuvers, like would occur during parallel parking. It is pretty much straight forward or back with possibly minor steering corrections. It's possible that in the future, summon will be much more capable but most likely not anytime soon.

Also, summon is still not activated on the 3 and haven't heard when it might be expected.

Didn't I read that Summon would allow you to stand at your front door and summon the car from the carriage house? Self driving on private property? Or is it just forward or back following the controls on the iPhone?

-Randy

Didn't I read that Summon would allow you to stand at your front door and summon the car from the carriage house? Self driving on private property? Or is it just forward or back following the controls on the iPhone?

-Randy

Yeah that's not happening anytime soon. Right now summon is just forward and backward. Most people, like me, use it to get the car in/out of the garage. I have seen on one video where someone get their car out of the wet puddle of water in parking lot after rain.

I think OP's need is closer to auto park then summon. But the problem with auto park is that it needs 2 other cars and a space in between for it to detect the parking space. Don't think it will work in a tandem parking position as you can't really drive passed 2 cars.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Has anyone used summon to put the car in a trailer? Will it go up a ramp? How much space does it need on either side to go in?

-Randy

No. Summon won't move if the car is not leveled. All it takes is a small slope like 15 to 20 degree and it won't move. I can summon my car from my garage (leveled) to the driveway, but not from the driveway (about 20 degree slope) into the garage. The side doesn't need a lot of space though. My garage opening has about 8 inches of space on each side with the side mirrors folded.

Has anyone used summon to put the car in a trailer? Will it go up a ramp? How much space does it need on either side to go in?

-Randy
I don't have a Tesla for first hand experience but I remember reading that summon had trouble just getting over the rain stop along the front of a garage entry. Mine is at most 3/8" high so I highly doubt summon would be able to climb a ramp. I'm sure the thinking is that anything that requires that much force could be dangerous. As in it would be able to run someone over.