Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Changing to Smartphone Only (According to Consumer Reports)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally Posted by scottf200
Can someone confirm that the Model S will stop with the handle being touched?...
I don't know why you think it should work on a MS when Tesla clearly has different wording how to stop it on MS vs MX.

...Thx again for your helpful reply and not going off on my mistake -- I learned another new parlor trick today.

You're welcome ;)

Since the above quoted my post, I should point out, in case it wasn't clear, that I was joking. If LetsGoFast's arms were long enough that he could stand in front of the car, and still reach the door handles, he would have very, VERY long arms. The joke was that the car would have been stopping because it sensed a person in front of it and not because of the handle feature, which would have explained why it worked for LetsGoFast and not for Bert.

This will teach me to make jokes that need follow-up posts to explain them!

Nah. I should have quoted LetsGoFast and BertL like you did. The point was they were seeing different experiences and I just wanted to make sure one wasn't reading "push" but thinking "pull" and mistyping. It worked out when BertL retested and found he was pressing hard enough vs. lightly touching.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Model S 7.1 Release notes don't mention this as a way to stop the car. It seems to be Model X specific at this time. The Model S notes mention only the FOB or the App or the car bumping into some object which it detects.

I have to correct "me" as I was wrong.... the on-screen release notes DO mention that the Model S can be stopped by pressing on "any button on the key fob or by pressing any Model S door handle." Though it seems a subject of debate in this forum as to how much force is needed to activate a "cancel" by pressing the door handle. Sorry for the wrong information.:redface:

Consumer Reports should have never been allowed to buy a Model S. They should go back to testing computerized toaster ovens IMHO.

Probably the only practical time I'll want to use Summon is to pull out of a parking garage spot so it's easier to get into the vehicle. Parking garages are not friendly to cell signals, so suggesting I rely on 2 devices to connect to 2 different mobile providers (in my case), introducing internet latency, and using that as your "dead man's switch" for safety, is a prime example of why I've never paid any attention to Consumer Reports' opinions on vehicles (or almost anything else for that matter).

Elon take their car back ! :cool:

Just a note on this, the latest version (2.12.45) implements this restriction, but, it's an OPTION. You can either select the "dead man" or the existing FOB. I think it's a good compromise.

Just a note on this, the latest version (2.12.45) implements this restriction, but, it's an OPTION. You can either select the "dead man" or the existing FOB. I think it's a good compromise.
Keep in mind, it's probably a good idea to give Tesla direct feedback that this "option" shouldn't silently go away. I plan to mention it more than once as I have a tight garage, and pretty much only put my car inside with Summon (there's not enough room to open the doors comfortably when in the garage).