Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon in new vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a new long range Model S (no FSD) and I noticed that there is no Summon option in the mobile app (I see that in my model X and my other two model 3s). I don’t see Summon option in the car as well under Autopilot - has something changed? If we don’t buy FSD we don’t get even the basic summon (like I have in my 2016 Model X)?

No Summon without FSD for new cars.

Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

• Informative
Reactions: Nda721 and aerodyne
I was equally surprised when I got to drive a Raven Performance recently. The ability to move it out of a parking space when someone parked to close or it's tight otherwise should be standard - just forward/backward is enough. Finding me on a parking lot is a different level and not something I'd expect without the FSD option.

They also took out the self parking option. I rarely use it with my AP1 car (never quite figured out when it becomes available - most often it does not). So I won't miss that too much.

But basic forward/backward summon? C'mon!

Reactions: Jan Fiala
But basic forward/backward summon? C'mon!

You are not missing anything as it is a pretty useless feature at least in Europe. Either it doesn't connect to the car at all, or the car doesn't move, or it moves and stops. Instead of trying again and again to finally succeed after one minute, its much easier to squeeze yourself into the car and drive out manually. Its a shame. One of top features which shows inability of Tesla to do things right.

• Disagree
Reactions: tyler2323
Wait - non FSD doesn’t include lane changing either? I might have to rethink this 7k as I do use summon and lane changing regularly. I thought it was just automatic lane changing with navigation was what FSD was required for?

That point is a bit unclear. The FSD language states automatic lane changes while driving, which leads me to wonder what happens if you manually request a lane change while on Autopilot.

The FSD language states automatic lane changes while driving, which leads me to wonder what happens if you manually request a lane change while on Autopilot.
The language under "Autopilot Included" on the order page makes it sound like manually requesting a lane change wont work without FSD.
Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.

Umm your old car likely cost more money
It definitely did - I got one of the P90D in 2016 - I can get a fully loaded car for that price now. But that is not the point - when I bought this new car, it said it included Autopilot and I paid for it - For me Autopilot always included basic summon (based on my old car which didn't have AP2 hw etc) - it seems like some language change reclassifying features has the current situation in hand. Bummer that this wasn't very clear to folks ordering

It definitely did - I got one of the P90D in 2016 - I can get a fully loaded car for that price now. But that is not the point - when I bought this new car, it said it included Autopilot and I paid for it - For me Autopilot always included basic summon (based on my old car which didn't have AP2 hw etc) - it seems like some language change reclassifying features has the current situation in hand. Bummer that this wasn't very clear to folks ordering

the option is there now under fsd, I am not sure where the confusion is? They repackage the options, made the car cheaper and you are complaining? I don’t get it. I paid $5k for eap, I will give up the summon and lane change for my $5k

Reactions: Art VandeIay