Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon is now available in Canada for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think people have already configured this with Amazon Dash Buttons.

Hey Tony,
You got me curious. I didnt realize summon is part of tesla API. I just saw that video on youtube but it's from 2 years ago.
It would be cool to have the car pre-conditioned, and pull out of garage without having my phone in range.
I feel i still don't trust it park itself yet. Especially when close to another vehchle.

Come on tesla, we need to at least do things like this to even see any light towards full automated driving.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
One day I will be brave enough to do the auto open/close. Right now just scared of having a "Wow this is so Coolllll....OH F@#K!", moment. You know...that time to go ahead and contact the insurance moment...
I still open the garage door manually. I don't have an entrance to garage from the inside of my house.
So summon simply closes the door as I drive away.
And opens as I approaches the garage.

When parked, my rear bumper is within a feet from the garage door.
I'm not brave enough to press "reverse" while the car is inside the garage with the door closed.

Reactions: Techniques
Won't use it yet to open the door - but it backed out of the garage nicely twice over the weekend.

One day I will be brave enough to do the auto open/close. Right now just scared of having a "Wow this is so Coolllll....OH F@#K!", moment. You know...that time to go ahead and contact the insurance moment...

I still open the garage door manually. I don't have an entrance to garage from the inside of my house.
So summon simply closes the door as I drive away.
And opens as I approaches the garage.

When parked, my rear bumper is within a feet from the garage door.
I'm not brave enough to press "reverse" while the car is inside the garage with the door closed.

So in the interest of science I took the risk for you gents and did a summon backing out of the garage while auto opening the door (all the while staring at the back of the car to make sure it didn't start moving too soon).

It actually worked pretty well. The garage door opened and the car probably waited a good 10-15 seconds before starting to move after sending the door open command. I'm not sure, but they probably also poll the sensors and camera to know when the garage door gets out of the way, then wait an additional 10 seconds or so to make sure it gets cleared.

Now, I won't keep the auto opening enabled just because it's easy enough to open it myself, and when I get home the door already opens when I get 10m or so from my house.

But wanted to let you know it did work without any calls to insurance 1/1 times for me...so it's 100% effective by my scientific study :rolleyes:

So in the interest of science I took the risk for you gents and did a summon backing out of the garage while auto opening the door (all the while staring at the back of the car to make sure it didn't start moving too soon).

It actually worked pretty well. The garage door opened and the car probably waited a good 10-15 seconds before starting to move after sending the door open command. I'm not sure, but they probably also poll the sensors and camera to know when the garage door gets out of the way, then wait an additional 10 seconds or so to make sure it gets cleared.

Now, I won't keep the auto opening enabled just because it's easy enough to open it myself, and when I get home the door already opens when I get 10m or so from my house.

But wanted to let you know it did work without any calls to insurance 1/1 times for me...so it's 100% effective by my scientific study :rolleyes:
I’ll take those odds! ;)

I summed the first time with homelink opening and it seemed to work fine for me. However I since shut it off cause I’d rather have a clear visual of all clear so it doesn’t ram the garage from the inside.

I have not tried to go into my garage though. I think there’s way too much stuff that’s close and it would have a heart attack.

I don't see this feature being useful in the morning as I have to physically unplug the car. Now if I installed a mini Kuka robot arm to disconnect the charger - then we're talking. Time to start a kickstarter campaign :)

[] insert donations here.

Lol. since I started charging at work daily, I've only had to charge on the weekends when I don't need to use summon as much. Works out perfectly for my use case.

Reactions: Techniques
Did it auto open? Or did you have an icon to trigger homelink?

I have homelink set up (but not auto open/close) and the icon is green in the car when at home, but I don't an icon for homelink when I open the summon submenu in the app.
Turns out there's a settings page on the car where you can set home link and distance for summon up to 12meters and how tight the clearance is!