Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon is now available in Canada for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's some quick videos:

First successful attempt to back out of my tight garage. I was too chicken to let it open the garage door though... :)

From very close it failed to connect to move back into the garage...maybe because it was just out of wifi range?

From beside the car I could initiate it to go forward, but the small lip entering the garage was too much for it to overcome. You can see the car giving it some extra juice, then giving up and putting the parking brake on.

Edit:

It just dawned on me how totally appropriate my text message/notification sound on my phone is for these videos...totally unplanned, but awesome (at least to me) :rolleyes:

Had to run out to the grocery store tonight (twice). It is really nice to get the car out of the garage without having to squeeze by it, so I do think I'll be using it a fair bit when leaving the house.

Coming home I'm not so sure. I also tried it out at the grocery store to move forward and the range does seem very limited. Nothing like what it is in the states where you can be 2 stories above the car and still move it.

But I'll take it since I didn't have to shell out $200 for a key fob. Hopefully it gets improved over time too.

I was playing around with it and in order for it to work, the app needs internet access (cell or wifi) and Bluetooth connection to the car.

Is that how Tesla resolved it for Canada? That mobile app needs a Bluetooth connection to the car? Not sure if the US cars have that requirement. I recall seeing a video where a guy reversed his car from several stories high.

All Canadian vehicles are required to have an immobilizer inatalled. The Model S uses the fob as the immobilizer, the Model 3 uses the Bluetooth connection from the app. U.S. vehicles do not have that restriction.

Unfortunately, unless/until the Canadian laws change, summon won't work from more than a few feet away.

Also, this is one of the reasons why you can't import U.S. Tesla's into Canada.

• Informative
Reactions: mahagala and TDog
Had to run out to the grocery store tonight (twice). It is really nice to get the car out of the garage without having to squeeze by it, so I do think I'll be using it a fair bit when leaving the house.

Coming home I'm not so sure. I also tried it out at the grocery store to move forward and the range does seem very limited. Nothing like what it is in the states where you can be 2 stories above the car and still move it.

But I'll take it since I didn't have to shell out $200 for a key fob. Hopefully it gets improved over time too.

I just tried it myself and it's definitely using the method for walk away lock/unlock to determine how far away from the car you are. For my garage setup it's not too useful having to walk with the car when using the summon function.. I'd rather just do it manually because it would be just faster. I can definitely see a use case for it when getting in and out of tight parking spaces.

I also got disconnected many times trying it out.

Reactions: noicepls
Tried it this morning as well. I have a child on the wall side of the garage and it’s not possible to put her in with the car inside (especially with the snow blower on the other side blocking the other door).

I turned off homelink cause I’d rather have a clear visual that there are no door related obstructions or it knows how high the garage had opened.

Worked like a charm and went out.

I noticed however because I have an extremely tight spot cause of things in the garage that it will stop even if it’s a bit too close to things. However I count this as a plus cause I’d rather have it over safe than not. It’s going to take a bit of learning how close I have to be or how far I have to be to a wall so it doesn’t have a hard time.

I guess I’ll have a little bit of time to tweak the settings.

Here's some quick videos:

First successful attempt to back out of my tight garage. I was too chicken to let it open the garage door though... :)

From very close it failed to connect to move back into the garage...maybe because it was just out of wifi range?

From beside the car I could initiate it to go forward, but the small lip entering the garage was too much for it to overcome. You can see the car giving it some extra juice, then giving up and putting the parking brake on.

Edit:

It just dawned on me how totally appropriate my text message/notification sound on my phone is for these videos...totally unplanned, but awesome (at least to me) :rolleyes:

Awesome, I didn't know we can open garage door remotely! Cool !!