Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon with key fob suddenly not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried it once last night and once this afternoon. No dice. Car refused to respond. Not sure why keyfob summon will work for some and not others.

The only times I've had summon fail was when the car went brain dead and needed a reboot, once each after 18.10.4 and and 18.12, but was fine after the reboot. I also reboot after each upgrade, so not sure why it needed a second reboot. Have also gotten the blank BUC after the installs others have.

In your case? Don't know. FOB battery strength? Tesla records hosed thinking you're a UK owner for some reason? Settings changed (require continuous keypress?)

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
The only times I've had summon fail was when the car went brain dead and needed a reboot, once each after 18.10.4 and and 18.12, but was fine after the reboot. I also reboot after each upgrade, so not sure why it needed a second reboot. Have also gotten the blank BUC after the installs others have.

In your case? Don't know. FOB battery strength? Tesla records hosed thinking you're a UK owner for some reason? Settings changed (require continuous keypress?)

Its not the settings, as I checked. Fob battery strength could be an issue, I've noticed it isn't as snappy to open the door handles when in range. I doubt the UK thing, I've been using summon and it only stopped this weekend though I haven't tried it today.

Fob battery strength could be an issue, I've noticed it isn't as snappy to open the door handles when in range.

Battery.

I've been able to use the fob while fairly far from the car, however, summon never worked from the same distance. Since they list 10 feet for summon, it has to be a safety factor in the event the fob fails for some reason to halt summon, and 10 feet or less away would be within range to tap a door handle to halt it.

No doubt they judge distance by fob signal strength, so that too will fade with a weak battery.

Could be something unrelated, but my bet is battery...

Reactions: croman
Battery.

I've been able to use the fob while fairly far from the car, however, summon never worked from the same distance. Since they list 10 feet for summon, it has to be a safety factor in the event the fob fails for some reason to halt summon, and 10 feet or less away would be within range to tap a door handle to halt it.

No doubt they judge distance by fob signal strength, so that too will fade with a weak battery.

Could be something unrelated, but my bet is battery...

I'll steal my wife's fob and try it tonight.

Reactions: Joe F