Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons close call Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Testing the Summons on my Model X in a very small garage. Parked it in garage, then then used summon to back out the car. It worked great. Then I summoned forward and I was going to take a video, (camera was on photo.. dumb) and it came very, very close to hitting the left side of garage. I jumped in front of the car to stop it and took this picture.

Pic as it was coming in:
IMG_1919.JPG

Here is how close it got to hitting the door frame after I stopped the car.
IMG_1922.JPG

Video of it working properly backing out

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a substantial lip at the entrance to the garage? I have 2 lips - 1 where the blacktop driveway goes up to the concrete garage floor, and a second one where my RaceDeck floor starts. My X has a problem when it meets the lips. It stops and then turns the wheels before it starts again. It straightens them out before it hits anything but it stays too close to my wife's car on the right, and too far from the left garage wall, so I don't use it any more. It is fine exiting the garage.

In my experience the ultrasonics are nearly completely useless in the rain. They either don't detect anything at all, or they have crazy false hits. I'll have to assume they're equally useless when using summon.

I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud at 'I jumped in front of the car to stop it...'. (Because clearly the car would have recognized you and not hit you, while at the same time not recognizing the wall of your garage and...well, you get the idea.)

I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud at 'I jumped in front of the car to stop it...'. (Because clearly the car would have recognized you and not hit you, while at the same time not recognizing the wall of your garage and...well, you get the idea.)

Well yes and no..it was not recognizing the side of the car and was very close to scraping the garage entrance, so I jumped in front of the car to remove the risk of it scraping the side of the car. Had I not been trying to film, I could have used the app.

What's interesting to me is if you look at the images TM uses to market AP, they don't show the FWD sensors as being part of the system - so there's a "blindspot" on each side of the car. When summoning, I think that may have caused the "close call". The front sensor on left should have picked it up, but if the FWD was part of the AP sensing, that could have helped.

Does anyone know if the FWD sensors ever provide feedback to the car unless/except when they are opening?

Responding to Uncgolf: I have had the exact same problem with our Sig MX and advised Tampa service what I believe is causing this problem. Tesla is aware of my theory.

I believe the problem is that the summons sensors/software are getting confused by the bush to the left of the garage opening. (In my case, it is a wall on the left side.) A consequence is that the MX is centering the car between the right door opening edge and the bush. This results in the car re-entering too far left.

Hopefully, a forthcoming software update will correct this.

Summon question. I was parked on the street. The car in front of me left. I wanted to pull into the spot. I used summon. Pressed forward. Strangely the car turned the wheels hard left and then slowly straightened out as it began moving forward. However, it climbed the curb instead of going exactly straight. As the rims weren't touching anything, I let it go forward to see if it would correct itself and get off the curb but it didn't. I had to eventually get in the car and drive it off the curb myself. What's up with that?

Summon needs to detect stationary objects (walls, cars, etc.) on both sides of the vehicle in order to determine the proper alignment. It's possible the curb wasn't tall enough for it to detect, or it was referencing off of another object on the side of the road. Either way, the current implementation of summon is limited and using it to pull forward from one parallel space to another is likely beyond the scope. Don't worry though, as Tesla will surely continue to develop and refine it.

I had the same problem with summon yesterday. My garage is in the back of the property with a gate at the front. Using Summon, my car came so close to hitting the 6 ft tall post that I had to abort Summon. Using Summon, reversed it, and tried again. No go, it was hell bent on hitting the post, so I aborted it while there was an inch left! I already use the "tight" setting option. So I manually drove through the gate. Once in front of the garage, I went back to use Summon to park it. It avoided the garage wall by more than 2 ft, basically hogging the garage space! Once I tried to back out of the garage, Summon worked until it got into the little driveway next to the back of the house that takes it to the street. This driveway is wide all the way until it gets to the gate's post with ground cover flowers and no large or tall vegetation. The car refused to reverse through it! It would start, turn the wheel, then would stop! Figures! It seems my model X only preferred open spaces and wide streets for Summon. Not really helpful!

• Funny
Reactions: xkwizit