Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons Fail - Crashed - Body Shop Repair Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldnt' get summon to get in my garage, but I didn't have it on "tight." I'm glad I didn't attempt that!

At one point trying to get it to work, it cut the wheels hard to the left while the nose was in the garage. If I had let it, it would have ran into the left side of the garage opening.

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
I couldnt' get summon to get in my garage, but I didn't have it on "tight." I'm glad I didn't attempt that!

At one point trying to get it to work, it cut the wheels hard to the left while the nose was in the garage. If I had let it, it would have ran into the left side of the garage opening.

So....your sensors are failing also?

What does your car say if you try to drive it the same way summon did?

Maybe someon can try summoning their car from the drivers seat to see if the screen shows the sensors going crazy and indicating distance numbers.
Let me go try that.

Tesla fixes things via twitter and personal emails as well. Of course....you would never see the personal email fixes because you aren't part of them.

There is no reason to attempt to publicly disgrace Tesla unless you are a shorter.
Not sure I agree with this. I am by no means a shorter - in fact I bought a considerable amount of stock believing in the company. There is an amount of bias on both sides - it's not all rainbows. Net, net is I used something which was beta and it failed.

The OP is a liar? What?

I just reported what my car did so that others may do the same to make sure theirs worked.

Summon didn't fail in his case. Summon just moves the car back and forth. His sensors failed. The same sensors that go berserk in a car wash.

His sensors failed to stop the summon feature for some reason.

You have to make sure you tell Tesla what failed in a proper fashion is my point.

Hello?

You're a diagnostic engineer working for Tesla in secret? You have no way of knowing that it was the sensors that failed. A number of failures including control failure, software failure, etc., could have caused this crash.

Great, summon works, for most people, most of the time. I have a tight garage and if summon really worked reliably it would be nice to get it to park tight in my garage and reduce the chance of door dings. I don't trust it enough to do the job without the risk of a mishap.... if Tesla was confident that mishaps won't occur the feature would not be labeled as BETA.

I just tested my summon:

I have to keep the button held down on my phone for the car to move.

I held the button down and then shut my phone off while holding it and the car stopped immediately.
I've uses it a few dozen times and it worked flawlessly. This time I received an error "server disconnected" and it just kept going - took less than 5 seconds.

Here's what I sent support -

Summon failed on my Model 3. Some damage. Moving forward – server disconnect - Version 2018.36.2 ac4a215

Looks like he was on version 36.2; which summon never worked for me connecting to the car majority of the time. Version 39.x seems to work better, by better i mean connecting. Hope the issue is addressed in beta 39.x.
I haven't tried this on V9 yet, but in V8 supposedly you had to disconnect your phone from wifi, take two steps to the right, hop up and down twice, and make a wish.

To be more specific...it looks like he hit something in his garage that was on the side of the front of his bumper...….not the front.

I believe that would be something important for Tesla to know as well <------Which sensor failed?
It actually hit straight forward. The box on the drivers side just happened to have a metal camping grill.
I haven't tried this on V9 yet, but in V8 supposedly you had to disconnect your phone from wifi, take two steps to the right, hop up and down twice, and make a wish.
Seems legit. All that is now a feature in V9 :)

I've uses it a few dozen times and it worked flawlessly. This time I received an error "server disconnected" and it just kept going - took less than 5 seconds.

Here's what I sent support -

Summon failed on my Model 3. Some damage. Moving forward – server disconnect - Version 2018.36.2 ac4a215
Ok...that's a good piece of info - "server disconnect". That could mean anything.

At least Tesla can reverse engineer this and look at all of the possibilities of getting that output as it relates to that version number.

Good deal.

Reactions: GSP
OP is your car wrapped? If yes, are the sensors?

Was the obstruction in front of the car all one plane, or was the contact point sticking out further than the rest of the wall/obstruction?

I can see the connection loss causing issues, but I would think the car should just stop if it loses connection. Summon aborts for no good reason all the time, so a connection issue certainly ought to stop it.

.This video boast 24 turn around -

No idea what contacts or channels made this happen (youtube followers help).

They're big YouTubers. Ie, free publicity for Tesla. Of course they're getting preferential treatment. If you're a big name that gets Tesla great PR, you're getting extra help.

Same thing with Tesloop getting batteries and motors replaced under goodwill so they can report shockingly low maintenance costs.

OP is your car wrapped? If yes, are the sensors?

Was the obstruction in front of the car all one plane, or was the contact point sticking out further than the rest of the wall/obstruction?

I can see the connection loss causing issues, but I would think the car should just stop if it loses connection. Summon aborts for no good reason all the time, so a connection issue certainly ought to stop it.

"server disconnect". is the problem. I don't think the server is the phone but Tesla can answer that.

Wrap or no-Wrap.

This "server disconnect" alert does not have to be blasted all over the place. Just inform Tesla as the OP did and lets see what happens.

Tesla has responded to me numerous times both over the phone and at the service center for issues such as this...of which I am fully confident that one particular issue I had was resolved - first in my vehicle and then in an update for everyone.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Xtek and APotatoGod
"server disconnect". is the problem. I don't think the server is the phone but Tesla can answer that.

Wrap or no-Wrap.

This "server disconnect" alert does not have to be blasted all over the place. Just inform Tesla as the OP did and lets see what happens.

Tesla has responded to me numerous times both over the phone and at the service center for issues such as this...of which I am fully confident that one particular issue I had was resolved - first in my vehicle and then in an update for everyone.

No, honestly I think there are two separate failures here. First is the lost connection or "server disconnect", and second is the failure of the car to "see" an obstruction. The latter is either a failure of the sensors themselves, or a situation that the sensors are not good at seeing even when working properly. I'm pretty sure I can't Summon into a simple wall right in front of the car. Now if the obstruction is more complicated, smaller, etc. then there is a chance the sensors will not see it (example: when Brian of i1Tesla on Youtube sat in front of his car while Summoning and it hit him).

Wrapping is important as it has been reported that certain wraps (I don't remember exactly which, possibly Xpel but don't quote me on that) caused problems with the sensors if covering them.

Here's the problem with continuous press.

You need to send a signal to keep the car "pushing".

What if there is a bug where "push" = off, is still registered as ON, anywhere in the firmware, middleware, or application layer.

@voip-ninja and I gonna have to slap a fool if they using UDP instead of TCP for the summon feature. :D

Dropped packets is catastrophic here versus a telephone call.

Not sure what protocol they use. I trust EAP with my kids in the car, but I have NEVER enabled summon on any of my cars.

What if there is a bug where "push" = off, is still registered as ON, anywhere in the firmware, middleware, or application layer.

@voip-ninja and I gonna have to slap a fool if they using UDP instead of TCP for the summon feature. :D

Not sure what protocol they use. I trust EAP with my kids in the car, but I have NEVER enabled summon on any of my cars.

Summon over WAN is nearly useless for me because it takes so damned long to connect anyway. I'm realllllly hoping the fob supports summon when it comes out…

Reactions: Hank42 and GSP

They can use UDP or TCP or whatever they want so long as there is a hard stop on a delay of packet reception.

There are Too many what-if's in this scenario.

That's why I stated earlier that just blasting Summon all over the internet is not the best thing to do. Blast Summon after you report it and nothing happens after a while.

All tesla needs is the data.