Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons feature flaw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
R
From my experience, summon works like this:

If I summon into a space, it goes up to 39 feet (or whatever you have it set it). Summon into, could be nose in or nose out.
If I then summon out of the space (again, nose in or out), it'll only go the same distance in the previous step, not the full 39 feet.
you could summon the car forward for 2 feet, stop it, and then summon the car backwards for 10 feet or more depending on your settings.
Sometimes It takes me 3 attempts to summon my car inside my garage as the car would stop or get to close to the wall (tight space) so I would stop it, each time I summon the car forward is just a few feet’s if this happens but, when I summon the car backwards it goes all the way out much further than maybe the last 2 feet I did forward.
I’m still waiting to hear back from Tesla and will update as soon as I do hear back from them

R

you could summon the car forward for 2 feet, stop it, and then summon the car backwards for 10 feet or more depending on your settings.
Sometimes It takes me 3 attempts to summon my car inside my garage as the car would stop or get to close to the wall (tight space) so I would stop it, each time I summon the car forward is just a few feet’s if this happens but, when I summon the car backwards it goes all the way out much further than maybe the last 2 feet I did forward.
I’m still waiting to hear back from Tesla and will update as soon as I do hear back from them
Yes, I could RE-summon it more than the initial range. But if I summon it in, and then out, it'll only go out to the point of the previous in. If I summon it again, it'll go more.

I'm telling you how it works for me.

The other thing could be where summon is set from. Phone? Keyfob? Parking stalk upon exit from the car?

Which only means the battery needs to be changed in the first fob, which is why it worked when you got closer to the car.
It doesn’t matter if you are close or far from the car, still does not work/inconsistent.
I just did this video, I activate summon from far away and it works but the car won’t stop when I hit the fob with the X right next to me, the only reason that it stops is because it senses me (about to hit me), I hit the fob 8 times with no luck

It doesn’t matter if you are close or far from the car, still does not work/inconsistent.
I just did this video, I activate summon from far away and it works but the car won’t stop when I hit the fob with the X right next to me, the only reason that it stops is because it senses me (about to hit me), I hit the fob 8 times with no luck

What if any electronic devices do you have in the garage, including LED lights which might be in the garage door opener? These can interfere with fob signals.

Does your MX have the same problem outside of your garage in an open area?

What if any electronic devices do you have in the garage, including LED lights which might be in the garage door opener? These can interfere with fob signals.

Does your MX have the same problem outside of your garage in an open area?
I have regular fluorescent lighting, washer and dryer and that is it. I will try outside the garage and report back but I must say that up to last week the summon feature was working just fine with this key fob, and if there was any electronic interference would also affect the spare key fob which so far has work inside the garage.

@Joe F Look forward to results of your test. My understanding may be flawed...

3 tests done.

Bumper clearance set to 12 inches, summon distance set to 40 feet.

Side clearance set to tight.

Require continuous press set to no

Use auto homelink off

Each test done with different distances from garage opening, within a 5 foot range, +2 and -3 feet.

All 3 tests involved summoning forward into garage. All 3 reverse summon requests returned the car back to the original starting spot(s) within 1 to 2 inches.

I will note that, in my case, summon forward always fails if I do not start it within what appears to be its comfort zone, and as it gets closer to the narrow garage opening it stops, as if to say "Are you sure you want to do this? Do you see how tight that opening is?!?" A second or sometimes a third summon forward will have it continue into the garage without issue, although it will sometimes stop again when it gets to the garage floor lip...

None or the summons were close to the 39 foot max; They were 20 to 25 feet or so.

Conclusion: Summon works as described earlier and is consistent with the Tesla documentation in all uses by me to date.

Reactions: drklain
I have regular fluorescent lighting, washer and dryer and that is it. I will try outside the garage and report back but I must say that up to last week the summon feature was working just fine with this key fob, and if there was any electronic interference would also affect the spare key fob which so far has work inside the garage.

Battery strength affects signal strength. A weaker battery in your every day use fob vs your spare fob is more than likely the cause of your problem. Replace your battery and try again.

Battery strength affects signal strength. A weaker battery in your every day use fob vs your spare fob is more than likely the cause of your problem. Replace your battery and try again.
Could very well be the case, although it does not explain why all functions work even activating summon from far away with this particular fob, the only function that is now inconsistent is stopping/aborting summon by hitting the fob.
Anyone knows the battery required for the fob, I will try to replace it today.

3 tests done.

Bumper clearance set to 12 inches, summon distance set to 40 feet.

Side clearance set to tight.

Require continuous press set to no

Use auto homelink off

Each test done with different distances from garage opening, within a 5 foot range, +2 and -3 feet.

All 3 tests involved summoning forward into garage. All 3 reverse summon requests returned the car back to the original starting spot(s) within 1 to 2 inches.

I will note that, in my case, summon forward always fails if I do not start it within what appears to be its comfort zone, and as it gets closer to the narrow garage opening it stops, as if to say "Are you sure you want to do this? Do you see how tight that opening is?!?" A second or sometimes a third summon forward will have it continue into the garage without issue, although it will sometimes stop again when it gets to the garage floor lip...

None or the summons were close to the 39 foot max; They were 20 to 25 feet or so.

Conclusion: Summon works as described earlier and is consistent with the Tesla documentation in all uses by me to date.
Are you using the double tap of the parking stalk or the fob or the phone to summon?

Are you using the double tap of the parking stalk or the fob or the phone to summon?

Sorry, should have stipulated: All were strictly fob initiated. Also important to note that at no time was the car taken out of park, or even entered for that matter due to too tight of a garage. Leaving the car in park is important (per the manual) for summon to return to the initial starting point.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
Sorry, should have stipulated: All were strictly fob initiated. Also important to note that at no time was the car taken out of park, or even entered for that matter due to too tight of a garage. Leaving the car in park is important (per the manual) for summon to return to the initial starting point.
Thanks.

I see the same behavior as you, and I've used the parking stalk-double-tap method and then key-fob summon afterwards. So it works the same on both.

Guy your LED lights in your garagedoor opener are clearly messing with the keyfob don't you know how interference works? Same thing happened to me except it was my dog barking at the same time I tried to cancel summon, but he accidentally ate a few AA batteries the night before so I mean the evidence is right infront of your nose. C'mon man, your problems are not real, you just have too many electrons floating around dead space in your garage

From my experience, summon works like this:

If I summon into a space, it goes up to 39 feet (or whatever you have it set it). Summon into, could be nose in or nose out.
If I then summon out of the space (again, nose in or out), it'll only go the same distance in the previous step, not the full 39 feet.
This is exactly my understanding of the documented behavior and what I have always observed empirically.

Reactions: Max*