Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunk-in hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a phone call this morning from Tesla telling me that they have not approved siai47's approach to fixing the sunken hood problem. The representative implied that shimming the bumper cover could lead to other issues. (This of course does NOT mean that they have actually checked it out.)

I am also still getting the runaround from my service center on this issue. After twice telling me that it is a legitimate issue, they are now saying it is within Tesla specs.

Sadly, I am not sufficiently mechanically inclined to try siai47's approach on my own. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had Tesla fix their sunken hood.

Rbowen, as you can tell I did use sis technique. This is adding 3mm height the bumper cover... If that's gonna screw up the fit/finish Tesla is crazy. The more I look at mine being off still 1/8 of an inch on one side, it's driving me crazy. I might go back and do it a 3rd time. The snaps are pretty durable so not too worried about breaking it. Tesla refused to fix mine as well.

The SD service center is once again admitting that it’s a fitment problem, which they claim can be fixed. My car is currently at their 'preferred' body shop for evaluation. I have been unable to get anyone to explain how they plan to fix it. I’ll let you know.

The SD service center is once again admitting that it’s a fitment problem, which they claim can be fixed. My car is currently at their 'preferred' body shop for evaluation. I have been unable to get anyone to explain how they plan to fix it. I’ll let you know.

SD SC tried to fix my hood which was sunken and not centered. Their "fix" resulted in the hood rubbing against the front bumper. They sent it to the body shop but they broke the windshield trying to fix it. Eventually the hood was much better aligned and windshield was replaced. I don't know what they did to fix it, but it likely involved removing the hood (I think that's how the windshield was broken) and re-attaching/re-aligning it.

My hood was perfect on one side and sunken on the other (~6mm). SC sent it to body shop and it's much better now overall, although the "fix" resulted in both sides being evenly sunken by ~1-2mm. Not perfect, but liveable.

I just found this thread while trying to research the nature of those adjustable bumpers. Now I am hoping the body shop has figured this out by now. Doesn't look promising.

We got the car on 3/31, the day the delivery records were being set. Now, I know there are issues with closing the Model S hood properly, and since Model 3's hood is aluminum, I paid close attention when they showed us how to close it. But it was hard to close. They had me close it. First, I pushed gently. Then firmly. Then really firmly. It finally closed. Later, after we got home, we saw That Dent in the hood. So then we are wondering, was it there originally? Did I do that during my attempt? That's the only time the frunk has been opened. It doesn't get opened again until it goes back to the service center.

Many questions ensue. Who will fix the dent? Is it going to happen again? What's the right way to close it? I would think pushing outboard of where the striker is, would bend the hood around it. I would be inclined to push directly in the center instead. But that's a separate discussion. More to the point, after driving the car some, and sitting in it (to play with the screen), it occurred to me that the hood looks way lower then the fenders. And then it occurred to me that maybe this was why it was so hard to close, being required to latch at such a low height. And so here I am, in the thread that's all about the sunken hood.

At the service center, they tried adjusting the bumpers to force the hood to be higher. Fortunately, it was now impossible to latch the hood, so they backtracked and said the latch would have to be adjusted. By the body shop. It didn't sound like something that would require a body shop, but after reading this thread, oh my. I would hope everyone's seen enough of these to know what to do, but it looks like they're still guessing. I think I'd take one of the "good enough" solutions rather than the some of the extremes.

The Service Center was able to remove the dent right away. That was the easy part. Maybe Tesla will issue siai47's fix and call it their own. That'd be fine. The VIN is a bit above 12,500 for those keeping score. It is very painful to be without our Model 3! I hate when it just sits somewhere waiting for attention. We could be driving it!

I have a 22,8XX VIN that I picked up on 6/2 that has this issue. I've been told that if your hood is flush on the top and bottom and is under flush in the middle area to take it to your service center. There is a fix out that can be done without it needing to go to the body shop. The service center can search for "Model 3 poor hood fitment" in their internal resources and they have an approved fix that's quite simple. I was advised not to follow the instructions in this thread as they may cause more significant issues. Just want to pass the word for awareness, best of luck you sunken frunkers! =)

I wish my service center knew this. Actually, I suspect the problem varies in severity, and some can be done easily. We've been 3-less for over a week :( [*] and watching it tour every corner of the body shop (on the app). I don't know what all they are doing to the poor thing. Meanwhile we are saving up all our errands, because, face it, why go out in anything else?

* Of course I am being over dramatic. I know many Tesla owners have suffered far worse.

Does removing the frunk liner allow you to adjust the fitment between the front fender / bumper as well? I still have a fitment issue with my front fender overlapping my bumper. I took it to the service center and one side looks better but the other side is still off. I'll try to adjust it myself if i can.

Heres my thread on the bumper/fender gap. Front Fender / Bumper Gap

The majority of the fit problem you are seeing is adjusted/corrected by removing the tire and the wheelwell liner on the side of the vheicle that is giving you the problem. Once removed, you will see the bolts that attach the bumper cover to the fender. Removing the frunk liner shouldn't be necessary, however, its pretty easy to do and some additional neat thinks to look at can viewed.

Reactions: ooandyoo
The majority of the fit problem you are seeing is adjusted/corrected by removing the tire and the wheelwell liner on the side of the vheicle that is giving you the problem. Once removed, you will see the bolts that attach the bumper cover to the fender. Removing the frunk liner shouldn't be necessary, however, its pretty easy to do and some additional neat thinks to look at can viewed.

Thanks! I ended up just turning the wheel to the side and removed a few clips from the wheel liner. I was then able to access the bolts holding the fender and bumper together. I just loosened the bolts, pushed the bumper a bit, and retightened it. It looks better but not sure its going to stay that way. I didnt see any other way to adjust it.

Got my car back after 3 weeks in SD SC. Now I noticed the sunk hook on the passenger side which I don't recall it having. It's already been at Amato's twice during those 3 weeks so I need to decide if I can live with it if there is no self remedy available.

Really curious as to what the final resolution was to your issue. I have this problem as well, but they said it is "within spec"

I wish my service center knew this. Actually, I suspect the problem varies in severity, and some can be done easily. We've been 3-less for over a week :( [*] and watching it tour every corner of the body shop (on the app). I don't know what all they are doing to the poor thing. Meanwhile we are saving up all our errands, because, face it, why go out in anything else?

* Of course I am being over dramatic. I know many Tesla owners have suffered far worse.
So did they ultimately fix the frunk alignment issue? I have the same problem but they told me it was within spec. It seems to be slightly worse on one side than the other. It's not that it's terrible... just that i notice it every darn day. Wish I didn't!

They did fix it. I only wish I had taken a before-picture; it was quite obvious. I cannot tell what they did, but I suspect the lid was replaced. There were several days where the app showed it open, and I believe it was probably removed during that time. It originally was so hard to close that it got bent during the initial attempts.

I will share something my house painter told me. He said to look over the whole job and don't be afraid to have them fix what look like insignificant errors. Because you just spent a goodly sum and now have this gorgeous looking house, but every morning you get up and look out the window and see that one drip, and so you are annoyed at the painters. And this happens each and every day. And that's ultimately how you evaluate the job.

This is why the service center guys need to be on top of the details, including cosmetics.

EldestOyster - I agree with you assessment completely.

To it I would add ..... Tesla cannot continue to rely on the SC's to correct assembly mistakes.
80,000 additional cars last quarter. In another quarter or so, the SC's will be so overloaded with corrective work that frustration will become overwhelming.

Not long ago I started a thread asking if CQ was improving or declining. Very few responded.
I'd still like to know the answer.
Based on recent post on a number of threads ..... it appears the CQ issues are not limited to paint.
Now I know the disgruntled are the ones that write .... that is why I started the tread .... seeking positive comments.

Reactions: C141medic
Really curious as to what the final resolution was to your issue. I have this problem as well, but they said it is "within spec"

I apologize for not getting back to this thread. They did fix it. A trip to their preferred body shop worked (Amato's Auto Body in San Diego). They did not replace or repaint the hood; it came back with the same 3M protection film installed with the same imperfections it had before. And to be clear, this was not merely an adjustment of the bumpers on the front underside of the hood. I'm not sure how they did it -- I asked, but I got no usable response. So, if your hood is sunken and the bumper adjustment doesn't work, you can get it fixed.

Reactions: Stirfelt
Hey siai47--

I took delivery of my car a month ago and didn't notice the frunk sag until I got home. I browsed the forum and stumbled across your post. Took your advice and adjusted the latch mechanism which raised the front sag but noticed by doing so it also raised the front side edges above the bumper. I am attaching before/after latch alignment photos. I tried messing with the hood bumpers to no avail. Thoughts on how to reduce height on the edges?

Steve

I am going to try upload pictures. So if you look at the pictures in sequence, you can figure out how to remove the liner and install the shims. The first picture shows lifting off the service cover at the rear of the frunk. Start on either side near the rear and pull up. There are several pushpins holding it down. Place the cover aside.

Next remove the air intake on the passenger side of the car. It is held in with four pushpins. Just lift with your hand at each pin location and remove the duct. Be aware that the pins are snapped into the edges of the duct and can pop out of it. Hold the pin with your opposite hand while lifting the duct to prevent the push pin from possibly coming loose and ending up in the bellypan. Place the part aside.

Next remove the cover over the hood latch in the front of the frunk. Put you fingers in the hole that the hood striker goes into and with your other hand lifting at the gap at the bottom of the cover, lift it straight up to release the clips on the top of the cover. Note the position of the wire going to the switch in the cover where it passes between the body and the frunk liner. There is a little slit in the foam it should be in and it needs to be in the same location when you re-install the cover. Remove the connector from the switch and place the part aside.

Next remove the seven bolts that hold the frunk liner in place. They are all the same size 6 mm bolts. You will need a 10 mm socket to do this. There are two bolts in the front near the latch, two bolts at the bottom of the liner (under the carpet), two bolts under the shopping bag holders and most important a final bolt located by the firewall that holds the top of the washer fluid tank to the frunk liner.

Next, starting from the very back of the frunk liner (near the hood hinge) pull up on the rear edge to disengage a push pin. Then run your hand down the edges of the liner between the liner and the fender. There are four clips on each side that need to be disengaged from the fender. Lift the liner at each clip location and give it a little tug. The clips will release. The liner is now free to remove. Lift it by the sides tipping it up from the rear and Finally lift completely off the two guide pins near the latch. Place the liner aside.

Next remove the six bolts that attach the bumper cover to the body of the car if you want to install shims. The two outer bolts on each side also pass through a plastic part that helps index the guide pins for the frunk. The center two bolts attach directly to the body. Using a 3 to 4 mm nylon fender washer, shim the bumper cover at each location. For the outer bolts, you can shim between the body and the plastic adapter or just lay the shim washers on top between the bumper cover and the adapter. In my picture, the outer shim washers are between the plastic part and the body. Once in place, close the hood and see where lines up with the front bumper cover. It should be recessed by about 3 mm. Open the hood and loosen the two bolts that hold the hood latch in place and raise the latch by the same amount you want to raise the hood. There are vertical slots in the latch to do this. trial and error will get it right. You will find that most, if not all, of the sunken hood is gone. At this point the hood bumpers cannot be adjusted as the liner is not in place so this needs to be done after everything is back together.

Reinstall everything in reverse order from how it was removed then set the hood bumpers to just lightly touch the liner. I did some additional work to get rid of some of the panel gaps in the hood. I moved the hood slightly forward to get the gap between the bumper cover and the hood correct. The gaps around the hood on my car are less then 3 mm. The rest of the car is 3 mm or more gap, the largest gaps are on the sides of the car at the doors. If you take you time, you can get this right. I hope this helps. View attachment 287362

Attachments

• Original Frunk Alignment.jpeg
    Original Frunk Alignment.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 423
  • Modified Frunk Alignment 3.jpeg
    Modified Frunk Alignment 3.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 309
  • Modified Frunk Alignment 2.jpeg
    Modified Frunk Alignment 2.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 300
  • Modified Frunk Alignment 1.jpeg
    Modified Frunk Alignment 1.jpeg