Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunk-in hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviving this thread. I just picked up a 2021 Model 3. Everything is near perfect except my Hood is sunken below the fender on one side and slightly higher then the fender on the other side. This has nothing to do with the front rubber hood mounts that can be adjusted in height. The left back of my hood near the base of the windshield is clearly below the fender. So, it appears the hood hinge was mounted to low. Most people are talking about adjusting the height at the front of the hood. That is super easy. What I'm dealing with here is a more significant problem similar to what others have described on this thread.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is fixable. I want to be cautious about getting Tesla involved because they may just screw it up even more, but I might not have a choice. Again, the rear of the hood is about 1/8 of inch or more below the fender height. It's so bad that you can see when driving the car.

Anyone seen this before and know if the hood hinges are adjustable in height vis a vis the fender?

Reviving this thread. I just picked up a 2021 Model 3. Everything is near perfect except my Hood is sunken below the fender on one side and slightly higher then the fender on the other side. This has nothing to do with the front rubber hood mounts that can be adjusted in height. The left back of my hood near the base of the windshield is clearly below the fender. So, it appears the hood hinge was mounted to low. Most people are talking about adjusting the height at the front of the hood. That is super easy. What I'm dealing with here is a more significant problem similar to what others have described on this thread.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is fixable. I want to be cautious about getting Tesla involved because they may just screw it up even more, but I might not have a choice. Again, the rear of the hood is about 1/8 of inch or more below the fender height. It's so bad that you can see when driving the car.

Anyone seen this before and know if the hood hinges are adjustable in height vis a vis the fender?
Hi Sasmf,

My 2021 M3P that I accepted delivery of on June 26th has the hood sunken below the passenger fender in the middle but its flush with the fender up near the windshield and down near the passenger headlight assembly. The drivers side hood to fender is perfect. Note that adjusting the rubber stops under the front edge of the hood do nothing at all to change the sunken issue. I do not know if the hood hinge has any adjustability in it. What I do know is that there is NO final quality control check point at the Fremont factory.....clearly none.

Hi Sasmf,

My 2021 M3P that I accepted delivery of on June 26th has the hood sunken below the passenger fender in the middle but its flush with the fender up near the windshield and down near the passenger headlight assembly. The drivers side hood to fender is perfect. Note that adjusting the rubber stops under the front edge of the hood do nothing at all to change the sunken issue. I do not know if the hood hinge has any adjustability in it. What I do know is that there is NO final quality control check point at the Fremont factory.....clearly none.
So are you going to try to get that fixed? I've got an appt with Tesla for July 14, but I'm honestly concerned that they might just screw it up even more, so I'm just weighing living with it....just the joy of owning a Tesla I guess!! It's crazy they let a car like that into paint and then let it off the line like that. A guy at the PPF shop I met picked up a red M3 on the exact same day from Mt. Kisco and I looked over his car. The hood and every panel on his car was so perfect...it's as if a former German auto assemblyman put his car together. The variability in quality is nuts...but as they say, even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes.

The inconsistencies in QC at Tesla are quite literally, shocking. Not only from one Model 3 to another but also from one side to the other side on any particular Model 3. My drivers side is a mess, my passenger side is perfect.

I think it’s a desire to hit volume goals above all else to tech-happy customers. So Tesla just don’t care about this stuff since they don’t have to.

In the early 90’s most of the automakers used simple tools to assess gap and flushness.

By the 2000’s most had started to deploy handheld laser projectors that could more reliably take the measurements.

By the 2010’s these measurements were done with robotics and included deviations caused by curvature, complex angles, etc. This isn’t just at Audi or Lexus, it’s at almost all major automakers.

The issues I’m reading about on this forum look like the issues seen in the early 90’s when end assembly QC didn’t give a damn about alignment. “spec” had huge variance and the cobbled together panels showed the apathy.

Elon may say he cares about finish, but the proof is in the cars that leave the factory. He doesn’t actually care about fit and finish… his priority is tech and volume.

Many owners will agree with him, they just want the car in their garage and they don’t care about this stuff. So as long as people buy these crooked, poorly assembled cars Tesla will continue to turn out rubbish finished quality.

• Love
Reactions: alloverx and rlb4