Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunlight Killing MX Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately, my MX doors - front & FWs - either open partially or not at all and show an obstacle error when they are facing the sun directly.

Did anyone have this issue? I am wondering if the sun is slowly killing the sensors? Should I make an SC visit to see if they will replace the sensors?

SC has gotten drastically worse in my experience and the first thing they try to do when you have an issue is downplay it and then cancel the appointment!

Lately, my MX doors - front & FWs - either open partially or not at all and show an obstacle error when they are facing the sun directly.

Did anyone have this issue? I am wondering if the sun is slowly killing the sensors? Should I make an SC visit to see if they will replace the sensors?

SC has gotten drastically worse in my experience and the first thing they try to do when you have an issue is downplay it and then cancel the appointment!

The door sensors are not optical. There are Ultrasonics in the doors and the roof.

Are you sure it's Sun related?

I had the same issue on delivery (3/4). With the rep in my Model X, the passenger side door refused to close fully when the sun was shining on that side. He then repositioned the car out of the sun and the passenger door closed on command.

The rep was surprised to see that happen.

I was shocked but glad to read that you have the same issues.

LR+. 2/20 build. VIN 249XXX.

Thank you. Looks like even the Raven models have this issue!

Scheduling SC visit, but dreading how long they will keep the vehicle, especially with Clovid-19 probably impacting supplies?
The post quoted (I was the one with the issue) is outdated. The fix did not work. They ended up replacing the whole door and it too did not work. Tesla ended up buying back the car and I bought a new Model X in white (was midnight silver). The new car has been mostly fine.

I concluded it was definitely heat related and the dark color just amplified it. Ever since then I believe Tesla said it’s normal behavior according to some other members.

The post quoted (I was the one with the issue) is outdated. The fix did not work. They ended up replacing the whole door and it too did not work. Tesla ended up buying back the car and I bought a new Model X in white (was midnight silver). The new car has been mostly fine.

I concluded it was definitely heat related and the dark color just amplified it. Ever since then I believe Tesla said it’s normal behavior according to some other members.

I wish they would still buy-back!

Calling it normal behavior can get them in trouble someday, especially if a situation arises where a passenger can't get out during an emergency and gets injured or killed.