Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing doors issues on hot days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last week we have been having a lot of FWD issues. This is especially happening when the car has been in direct sunlight on 100F days. Sometimes the manual override even refuses to work so our kids have to climb over the front seats to get in and out.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? We are taking a detour in our road trip to visit the Denver service center. Hopefully they can do something.

If you want to read that whole thread to see how my story developed feel free to do so. I was the first to point out the issue relating to heat.

After 4 SC visits on the said issue they have fixed it. Before they were about to replace the whole FWD eningeering advised them to replace everything. If they only replaced the sensors it will not solve the problem. I think they might have revised the tripod assembly parts to reduce heat conducting to the sensors.

Concern: Guest states driver side falcon door detects false objects and wont present after its been sitting in the sun for a while (3rd time in for this concern), inspect and advise.

Corrections: Door Trim General Diagnosis

Performed inspection on rear door ultrasonic sensor. Inspection revealed ultrasonic sensor and tripod replacement recommended.

Corrections: Sensor - Ultrasonic - Rear Door - LH

Perform removal and replacement of ultrasonic sensor on drivers rear falcon door along with tripod assembly. Per engineering department replace all pads for falcon door assembly. Updated firmware for vehicle.

Left vehicle out in heat for 2 consecutive days under various temperature conditions with no faults in detecting false objects.
Vehicle falcon door is operating as designed.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

ASY, SENSOR CARRIER W/ADHESIVES, 2 LEFT (1075447-00-C)

SENSOR, ULTRASONIC, 2 RADIAL,COUPLING TAPE (1055890-00-E)

BUTYL, ULTRASONIC ONSKIN HOLDER 1 LHS (1069530-00-C)

BUTYL FOIL PATCH 150X120X2MM 1 (1043439-00-A)

BUTYL FOIL, 300X150, 2MM THICK 2 (1004969-00-A)

Pay Type: Warranty

Last edited:
My wife and II went on a plant mission to Sanford, NC. at a garden center named Big Bloomers..It was 110 Degree. They worked ok.
IMG_2250.jpg IMG_2251.jpg

This a very real issue and as far as I am concerned a potential safety issue. I just had sensors on both doors replaced last week because of this issue. It was getting progressively worse and took multiple pleas to get SC to address this issue. I have resorted to taking video of the many issues I have had in order to prove they are happening. It was easy to replicate...just park in the sun, heat did not make a difference as this also occurred in the winter when it was 40 degrees out. In the first 4 days since the repair it is better. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix or not. I have several issue that have taken months for the SC to sort out.

Reactions: voltaren
We had issues with our passenger side falcon wing door sensor detecting a phantom object. Wound up being the tripod had dislodged and was swinging within the door, seeing the door as an object near the door.

It was worst when it was warm, or in sunlight, but it happened after driving most times.

It was an easy fix for the Tucson techs.

-Harry

Exact same issue described here. The Marietta, GA SC acknowledged that this is a known issue. I am taking my vehicle in for a fix (hopefully) this Friday. Fingers crossed as this is very infrequent and just a minor annoyance on an otherwise flawless vehicle!

This a very real issue and as far as I am concerned a potential safety issue. I just had sensors on both doors replaced last week because of this issue. It was getting progressively worse and took multiple pleas to get SC to address this issue. I have resorted to taking video of the many issues I have had in order to prove they are happening. It was easy to replicate...just park in the sun, heat did not make a difference as this also occurred in the winter when it was 40 degrees out. In the first 4 days since the repair it is better. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix or not. I have several issue that have taken months for the SC to sort out.
Same sentiment here. If it's hot with direct sunlight, neither door wants to work properly...

We had the same issue on one door. SC replaced the sensors and it seems fine now. One temporary fix I learned - to reset the sensors hit Power Off in the E-brake & Power settings. Don't touch anything and wait 3 minutes, then hit the brake to turn the car back on. This seems to reset the sensors and clears up the issue for the time being.

Same sentiment here. If it's hot with direct sunlight, neither door wants to work properly...

We've had this since taking delivery last August. If the car is in direct, very bright sunlight, our FWDs detect obstacles. Moving to shade or even just a place where the sun isn't directly overhead usually lets the doors open normally.

We've had this since taking delivery last August. If the car is in direct, very bright sunlight, our FWDs detect obstacles. Moving to shade or even just a place where the sun isn't directly overhead usually lets the doors open normally.
And you didn't take it in to fix?

It's a very annoying issue for us with kids. You try to open the door when approaching the car and it refused to. You have to press on the handle so it opens up a tiny bit so you can get the hand to reach over the tiny space to override it with the FWD switch. You can't open the door with the screen either.

There is a fix for this as mine is resolved.

Same issue here. They replaced ultrasonic sensors but only made things worse. I’ve resorted to sending videos of the many times the fwd fail to open due to the sun in the way. They say it’s because I have the black paint. I told them it should have been disclosed... they are trying to figure something out

So the local service center now has my car. They were gracious enough to give me a loaner X. I mentioned the butyl patch but they also indicated they would probably warm the sensor up after reinstalling during the calibration? I said I’d be happy if they wanted to repaint my car another color or pay for a wrap... stay tuned on the fix

So I’ve had my X for close to 2 months and happen to live in the Hi Desert, today was 102. I took it into the Pan Springs SC last month and was told the story about the heat. I’m like great, so I need to move in order for my car to work properly. All the tech and they can’t get the door issue fix. It’s truly embarrassing when you boast about you electric car that can run on pure electricity but can’t get the doors to open correctly or even at all. Especially when you have grown adults in the back seat and they can get out even when trying to override. All I hear in my head is Rich’s (Rich Rebuilds) mom on his video “he want to put people on the moon, but can’t put you in a car”.

Reactions: DanCar