TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Falcon wing doors issues on hot days.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by dutchinchicago, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dutchinchicago

For the last week we have been having a lot of FWD issues. This is especially happening when the car has been in direct sunlight on 100F days. Sometimes the manual override even refuses to work so our kids have to climb over the front seats to get in and out.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? We are taking a detour in our road trip to visit the Denver service center. Hopefully they can do something.

2. animorph

animorph Member

There is at least one main thread on this. No sure-thing solution that I could discern. Lots of owners have had the sensor replaced without a permanent improvement. My SC said to wait until they figure out something better.

Falcon Wing Door sensor reliability?

3. outie

outie Active Member

#3 outie, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    If you want to read that whole thread to see how my story developed feel free to do so. I was the first to point out the issue relating to heat.

After 4 SC visits on the said issue they have fixed it. Before they were about to replace the whole FWD eningeering advised them to replace everything. If they only replaced the sensors it will not solve the problem. I think they might have revised the tripod assembly parts to reduce heat conducting to the sensors.

Concern: Guest states driver side falcon door detects false objects and wont present after its been sitting in the sun for a while (3rd time in for this concern), inspect and advise.

Corrections: Door Trim General Diagnosis

Performed inspection on rear door ultrasonic sensor. Inspection revealed ultrasonic sensor and tripod replacement recommended.

Corrections: Sensor - Ultrasonic - Rear Door - LH

Perform removal and replacement of ultrasonic sensor on drivers rear falcon door along with tripod assembly. Per engineering department replace all pads for falcon door assembly. Updated firmware for vehicle.

Left vehicle out in heat for 2 consecutive days under various temperature conditions with no faults in detecting false objects.
    Vehicle falcon door is operating as designed.

Parts Replaced or Added
    Part Quantity

ASY, SENSOR CARRIER W/ADHESIVES, 2 LEFT (1075447-00-C)

SENSOR, ULTRASONIC, 2 RADIAL,COUPLING TAPE (1055890-00-E)

BUTYL, ULTRASONIC ONSKIN HOLDER 1 LHS (1069530-00-C)

BUTYL FOIL PATCH 150X120X2MM 1 (1043439-00-A)

BUTYL FOIL, 300X150, 2MM THICK 2 (1004969-00-A)

Pay Type: Warranty

• Informative x 2
  4. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

My wife and II went on a plant mission to Sanford, NC. at a garden center named Big Bloomers..It was 110 Degree. They worked ok.
    IMG_2250.jpg IMG_2251.jpg

5. outie

outie Active Member

This is not a common issue happening on all vehicles. Thanks for your data point.

6. Insureit1

Insureit1 Member

This a very real issue and as far as I am concerned a potential safety issue. I just had sensors on both doors replaced last week because of this issue. It was getting progressively worse and took multiple pleas to get SC to address this issue. I have resorted to taking video of the many issues I have had in order to prove they are happening. It was easy to replicate...just park in the sun, heat did not make a difference as this also occurred in the winter when it was 40 degrees out. In the first 4 days since the repair it is better. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix or not. I have several issue that have taken months for the SC to sort out.

• Like x 1
  7. hmcgregoraz

hmcgregoraz Member

We had issues with our passenger side falcon wing door sensor detecting a phantom object. Wound up being the tripod had dislodged and was swinging within the door, seeing the door as an object near the door.

It was worst when it was warm, or in sunlight, but it happened after driving most times.

It was an easy fix for the Tucson techs.

-Harry

8. passcore

passcore Member

Exact same issue described here. The Marietta, GA SC acknowledged that this is a known issue. I am taking my vehicle in for a fix (hopefully) this Friday. Fingers crossed as this is very infrequent and just a minor annoyance on an otherwise flawless vehicle!

9. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

My last fail to open FWD was bird poop.

Attached Files:

• Funny x 2
  10. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Thanks for adding the photo. Your written description was very vague. ;)

• Funny x 1
  11. voltaren

voltaren Member

Same sentiment here. If it's hot with direct sunlight, neither door wants to work properly...

12. martinicus

martinicus Member

We had the same issue on one door. SC replaced the sensors and it seems fine now. One temporary fix I learned - to reset the sensors hit Power Off in the E-brake & Power settings. Don't touch anything and wait 3 minutes, then hit the brake to turn the car back on. This seems to reset the sensors and clears up the issue for the time being.

13. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Yes!
    Extremely hot day = FWD malfunction

Happens to us when it
    Is 100'+

14. dropd

dropd Member

We've had this since taking delivery last August. If the car is in direct, very bright sunlight, our FWDs detect obstacles. Moving to shade or even just a place where the sun isn't directly overhead usually lets the doors open normally.

15. outie

outie Active Member

And you didn't take it in to fix?

It's a very annoying issue for us with kids. You try to open the door when approaching the car and it refused to. You have to press on the handle so it opens up a tiny bit so you can get the hand to reach over the tiny space to override it with the FWD switch. You can't open the door with the screen either.

There is a fix for this as mine is resolved.