Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B7 and B9 in the MegaBay at the same time. Is B8 in there as well?

75B1406E-82CB-4EAA-9E93-7099D1F95532.jpeg

Reactions: Grendal
SpaceX Plans To Land Starship On The Moon In 2023 Says NASA Administrator

Administrator Nelson also shared crucial details about SpaceX's Starship lunar lander. This is currently the only vehicle that has been chosen by NASA to land humans on the Moon as part of the Artemis program. Commenting on Starship's progress, he revealed that:

I ask the question all the time of Jim Free, is the Starship meeting each of the benchmarks, the time schedules, and the answer comes back to me and Yes, and in some cases, exceeding. I have been down to Boca Chica. It is a sight to behold. How they are putting those Starships together and then the big booster. And their plan is that they're going to do a few test flights there. And once they have the confidence, they will bring the missions to the Cape, and until they get their permanent pad on the Cape, they will launch from the one that they are constructing right now, that is in the outer perimeter of Pad 39A. You know, you're developing a new vehicle, a new rocket. You can expect some delays, but thus far I'm told that they are on schedule.
Their plan is to do an uncrewed landing in 23, late 23, that's a year from now! And then to do the crewed landing in late 24. So slips are always possible because, it's a brand new system, but they have been quite impressive in what they have done with other systems.
Nelson says the plan is to have an uncrewed Starship land on the Moon a year from now, and then do a crewed landing late 2024. What is he smoking…

Any causal observer can say with a lot of confidence it ain’t happening in that timeframe. Not even close. Unrealistic
specifically launch manifests of SpaceX for lunar missions in _2024_ for casual observers like myself
specifically Psyche mission is looking at asteroid (mining?)) (not our moon, but )
Europa going to a Jovian moon (Jupiters moon, so...)
Gateway PPE preparing for lunar base (Terra's
Griffin for lunar base
GLS1
GLS2 lunar base stuff

(SERIOUSLY go see the October 10th launch with landings back at the cape, you see the "homesick angel" streaking, climbing, through the sky, homewards, the "silver seed to a new home in the sky", then 8+ minutes later, returning with sonic booms for another trip)
1670847168580.png

1670847386817.png

OT
for the older farts and geezers
"Gully Foyle is my name
"Terra is my nation
"deep space, my dwelling space
"the stars my destination
(Alfred Bester)

• Informative
specifically launch manifests of SpaceX for lunar missions in _2024_ for casual observers like myself
specifically Psyche mission is looking at asteroid (mining?)) (not our moon, but )
Griffin for lunar base
GLS1
GLS2 lunar base stuff

(SERIOUSLY go see the October 10th launch with landings back at the cape, you see the "homesick angel" streaking, climbing, through the sky, homewards, the "silver seed to a new home in the sky", then 8+ minutes later, returning with sonic booms for another trip)
View attachment 884009
View attachment 884011
OT
for the older farts and geezers
"Gully Foyle is my name
"Terra is my nation
"deep space, my dwelling space
"the stars my destination
(Alfred Bester)
You are talking about FH launches. Nelson refers to crewed missions with Starship.

You are talking about FH launches. Nelson refers to crewed missions with Starship.
you are correct. If you look at launch schedules you will notice the FH is the one on the schedules at present
presently there are 2 Starships on launch schedules, although obviously more can be added as time passes, first in a month or so
(Road trip to Boca Chica anyone?)
next 2 years out, so lots of gaps to fil in those 23 months, eh.
Perhaps Nelson is privy to more info than we are aware of
1670857219252.png

By the way, the Grasshopper was October, 2013, 9 years, 1 month ago, from there to Falcon, FH, Starship
9 short years.
perhaps Nelson is right (some of us have been watching launches since the mid late 1950's)
[ shortMEDIA=youtube]9ZDkItO-0a4[/MEDIA]

pecifically launch manifests of SpaceX for lunar missions in _2024_ for casual observers like myself
Griffin for lunar base
GLS1
GLS2 lunar base stuff
I have no idea what those FH launches have to do with NASA planning to use Starship — a vehicle which has not yet achieved orbit — to take astronauts to and from the lunar surface.
you are correct. If you look at launch schedules you will notice the FH is the one on the schedules at present
presently there are 2 Starships on launch schedules, although obviously more can be added as time passes, first in a month or so
(Road trip to Boca Chica anyone?)
next 2 years out, so lots of gaps to fil in those 23 months, eh.
Perhaps Nelson is privy to more info than we are aware of
Of course a NASA administrator knows more about Starship development and Artemis progress than those on this forum do. But we do know that NASA has been making very optimistic statements about a crewed lunar landing for years now, given that Starship has yet to reach orbit — and then will require in-orbit refueling, which has never been done before — and that the spacesuits that astronauts will need to use on the Moon do not currently exist (and are being designed and built by a company, Axiom, that has never made anything like that before).

And there is another reason why the late 2024 Artemis II mission will slip; NASA is reusing multiple critical avionics hardware from the Orion capsule used for Artemis I. And that reuse will require extensive and time-consuming testing and recertification that NASA estimates will take 27 months. If all goes according to plan. Which is usually not the case.

@ecarfan
you are correct it seems, and i seem incorrect
looking at the published launch schedules, it looks like Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy are scheduled to do lunar "stuff" through around 2024

Starship-Super Heavy (Prototype) | Orbital Test Flight
NET January, 2023

Falcon 9 Block 5 | PRIME-1 (IM-2)
NET June, 2023
Intuitive Machines-2 will deliver The Regolith and Ice Drill for Exploring New Terrain (TRIDENT)
and the Mass Spectrometer observing lunar operations (MSolo).

PRIME-1 will drill into the lunar surface, harvest and bring ice to
the Moon’s surface, and use a mass spectrometer to measure
how much is lost to sublimation as it turns from solid into vapor in a vacuum.
The mission will also carry a deployable lander called Micro Nova (µNova), that will demonstrate the ability of carrying a payload of 1kg and
travel more than 2.5 km by doing "hop

Falcon 9 Block 5 | Masten Mission One
ASDS
NET November, 2023
Masten signed a contract with SpaceX to launch the XL-1 Lunar Lander to the moon. The lander will have 9 sub-payloads which are currently TBD.

Falcon 9 Block 5 | Blue Ghost
NET January, 2024
Blue Ghost is a commercial lunar lander developed by Firefly Aerospace for NASA’s CLPS program.
Blue Ghost is designed to bring up to 150kg of payload to the lunar surface.
It will land at Mare Crisium in the Crisium Basin and is designed to last 14 days before freezing in the lunar night.

Falcon 9 Block 5 | Intuitive Machines-3
NET January, 2024
The IM-3 mission includes a Nova-C class lander to land 130kg of payloads on the lunar surface

Falcon 9 Block 5 | HAKUTO-R Mission 2
Unknown
NET January, 2024
HAKUTO-R is a multinational commercial lunar exploration program operated by ispace. It includes ispace's first two lunar missions,
the second mission will perform a soft landing on the Moon and deployment of a rover in 2024

Falcon Heavy | Gateway PPE & HALO
NET November, 2024
NASA has selected SpaceX to provide launch services for the agency’s Power and Propulsion Element (PPE) and Habitation and Logistics Outpost (HALO),
the foundational elements of the Gateway.
As the first long-term orbiting outpost around the Moon, the Gateway is critical to supporting sustainable astronauts missions under the agency’s Artemis program.

Falcon Heavy | Griffin Mission One
NET November, 2024
Astrobotic's Griffin lander is a lunar lander which will deliver NASA's VIPER rover to the moon as part of the Commercial Lunar Payloads Services (CLPS) program.
VIPER (Volatiles Investigating Polar Exploration Rover) is a lunar rover developed by NASA's Ames Research Center.

Falcon Heavy | GLS-1
NET December, 2024
GLS-1 (Gateway Logistics Services 1) is a mission to deliver cargo, experiments and other supplies to the NASA's
Gateway in lunar orbit using a SpaceX Dragon XL spacecraft.

Cargo Starship-Super Heavy | Superbird-9
NET December, 2024

Falcon Heavy | GLS-2
NET January, 2026
GLS-2 (Gateway Logistics Services 2) is a mission to deliver cargo, experiments and other
supplies to the NASA's Gateway in lunar orbit using a SpaceX Dragon XL spacecraft.

SpaceX Plans To Land Starship On The Moon In 2023 Says NASA Administrator

Nelson says the plan is to have an uncrewed Starship land on the Moon a year from now, and then do a crewed landing late 2024. What is he smoking…
I realize this is wildly conspiratorial, but the only reason I can think of is that NASA can then say that SpaceX is "late." That would make their "Moon Vehicle" SLS and Artemis look better. Of course, Mister Optimism on timelines, Elon, may have said that SpaceX could do it and Nelson is just repeating it.

I realize this is wildly conspiratorial, but the only reason I can think of is that NASA can then say that SpaceX is "late." That would make their "Moon Vehicle" SLS and Artemis look better. Of course, Mister Optimism on timelines, Elon, may have said that SpaceX could do it and Nelson is just repeating it.
+1

I agree. I can’t think of any other reason why Nelson would give such unrealistic timelines. He was the biggest supporter of SLS boondoggle and apologist.